Piston Rope: What size? How long is your rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildernessJeep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to start a rebuild on an MS290. I bought a Husky for the interim. I have a small nylon rope, but it's long and small diameter. I don't normally have any cheap nylon rope laying around (lest someone use it). I was going to buy a couple feet while I'm in town. What size diameter works the best as a piston stop? I wanted to get it big enough that it wouldn't get stuck in the exhaust port, but not so big to put too much pressure on one side of the piston or cause other damage. How long and thick should the rope be to fill a piston?

scdjokcjo8131.jpg

Looking to start a rebuild on an MS290. I bought a Husky for the interim. I have a small nylon rope, but it's long and small diameter. I don't normally have any cheap nylon rope laying around (lest someone use it). I was going to buy a couple feet while I'm in town. What size diameter works the best as a piston stop? I wanted to get it big enough that it wouldn't get stuck in the exhaust port, but not so big to put too much pressure on one side of the piston or cause other damage. How long and thick should the rope be to fill a piston?

scdjokcjo8131.jpg

QTLA.

Impact. Braap, Braap. Done. Most times that easy.

A drift and a hammer works on some clutches too.

Rope works, but relatively is a PITA compared to either of the previous suggestions.

And a hammer works on flywheels. And balljoints. Better than a puller, or a fork.
Hammer works well on u-joint replacement also.

Back