Please Recommend A Basic Climbing Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to get a basic climbing setup to do some tree topping.
It's not for a business or regular use; just to do some tree maintenance on my property.
I just need to climb up a couple of firs and maple near my house and cut off some tops and limbs.

When I was a kid, I would just climb up any trees with my bare hands.
Now that I'm older and appreciate my life more, I need some safety.

Thanks in advance

Called the yellow pages

Look up a tree services phone number. For the cost of the gear, You can save yourself property damage, injuries or death! I am an old school climber not into the high cost modern saddles and I still wear over 1500 in gear and boots before I pick up a saw! For around 400 bucks you can buy everything but the boots and rope. Even then thats not a good belt nor would I recommend it.

equipment

:clap:i would go to sherril tree or wesspur. wesspur is probaly better on the sets. a real good saddle to buy would be weaver, thats what i wear. if you want good stuff you'r gonna pay alot for them. but ask yourself, whats my life worth. the best should only be used when climbing a tree. it can be very dangerous if something was to go wrong.

Basic

Ironhead---
Simple things: throw ball and slickine, Corona tri-bevel speed saw, Sidekick rope placement and retrival device to get and retrieve ropes from places (you) don't want to go---makes life easier. Micro pulleys, port-a-wraps and slings with carabiners. Fall asleep at night going through catalogs like Wesspur, Bailey's, American Arborist. Good luck.

The most basic setup to get you into the canopy would involve buying:
1-Saddle
2-Climbing Rope
3-One Carabiner
4-Flip-line
5-Tree Climbers Guide
6-Throw weight
7-Throw-line

If you can get into the tree with a ladder you won't even need the last two items since you can simply toss the rope higher with a Monkey's Fist. Having said that it still might be best to hire a pro, but if you're adamant about doing it yourself buy the Guide first and read it from end to end a few times.

Also, learn how to climb first before bringing a saw with you into the tree. Ideally, you can learn to climb by getting first-hand instruction from a person who has done it before. Start out by reading the Tree Climber's Companion cover-to-cover at least once, if not twice. Hopefully you can meet up with someone who has some extra gear so you can try it out without having to spend too much money. Once you think you'll actually want to climb to the top of a tree and start sawing branches off, you should probably have 10 or so solo climbs under your belt. Climbs where you've done things like changing your tie-in-point (TIP), redirects, setting up two TIPs, etc.

Latest posts

Back