Porting a 33cc homelite ranger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's been a while since I have been on here, but I figured I would give a heads up on my latest project.

I was using the little saw a few days ago and decided it needed some work. I tore it down and got to work right away.
The piston windows were hardly even there. You would be hard pressed to get a toothpick in there. Now you can put a pencil in there.

I opened up the intake and exhaust as far as I could and put a real nice bevel on the edges so I don't snag the ring. I made sure to leave 1-2 mm on either side of the ports for the skirt to seal.

I am putting it back together now and am looking forward to the results. It has already been muffler modded.

Anyway, here are some pics for your enjoyment.:clap: The ms390 might be next!

piston 1.jpg intake.jpg exhaust.jpg

I love it - this is my kind of porting thread! Porting cheap clamshells is a blast.

I might have to bore the carb on this one. It has a pretty small hole in it..... I will run it first. I have to make a gasket for the carb and then I can run it.
:blob2:

This thing turns FAST. I was scared it was going to grenade so I asked my 7 year old to stand back while I tuned it. I was disappointed with the power in the cut. I was cutting in dead, dry elm, so that didn't help. It pulls better than it did, but not what I expected. ( Yes, I do realize that it is only 33cc)
I'll bore the carb some and see what happens. I might have to put a bigger one on there.
Sorry, no video. The camera is dead.

EDIT: HAHA yeah about the power. I just went back out to play with it some more and noticed that the chain was dry.....OOPS! I filled it back up and got the chain wet and it still felt weak. I started tuning it all over again and really had to run it fat. The hang test failed at final tune and it sounds like a worn out chevy ready to blow when you hold it wide open, but BOY does it have some more power. You can feel it when you pull the trigger. It puts a smile on your face that you can't wipe off.

I ran my stihl right after the homelite and I have to say, that baby is getting the same treatment!

Latest posts

Back