porting a husky 350...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So here are a few pics of the 350 I worked on today. Base adapter has 20 thousandths taken off it ...some light grinding on the adapter and on the new hyway 45mm cylinder. ..transfers rounded a bit....intake and exhaust opened ...Dremel tool and carbides.....used hybrid ceramic bearings too... waiting for the loctited base adapter to set...and tomorrow we see if she cranks... critiques welcomed....this is my first port work.....took me many hours.

I also advanced the timing a bit on the flywheel. I ground away the key on the flywheel and created a notch w/ a round nicholson file. Now the flywheel and cranked have keyways. I use a piece of copper wire between the two as my key. Since I don't have any equipment to measure how far I advanced the timing...lets just hope it runs tomorrow. oh, and I had to remove a tiny bit of plastic case material because of the bulges on the hyway cylinder transfers. I removed the part up against the wall where the clutch side is... no pics...sorry

-Mattyo

So here are a few pics of the 350 I worked on today. Base adapter has 20 thousandths taken off it ...some light grinding on the adapter and on the new hyway 45mm cylinder. ..transfers rounded a bit....intake and exhaust opened ...Dremel tool and carbides.....used hybrid ceramic bearings too... waiting for the loctited base adapter to set...and tomorrow we see if she cranks... critiques welcomed....this is my first port work.....took me many hours.

I also advanced the timing a bit on the flywheel. I ground away the key on the flywheel and created a notch w/ a round nicholson file. Now the flywheel and cranked have keyways. I use a piece of copper wire between the two as my key. Since I don't have any equipment to measure how far I advanced the timing...lets just hope it runs tomorrow. oh, and I had to remove a tiny bit of plastic case material because of the bulges on the hyway cylinder transfers. I removed the part up against the wall where the clutch side is... no pics...sorry

-Mattyo

That's a good start. If you would have put the cylinder on the base, no fasteners, you could have seen where some more restriction could be taken out. I'm going to take some pictures of the work I did, which is very similar to yours.
It WILL run good, if you can get the spark timing right plus you need a degree wheel on it to get the port timing set better.

Thanks for the comments....I didn't open the ports vertically much....plus I don't have a good guide as to what to do w a degree wheel anyway...so far this is flying by the seat of my pants. ...so I figured I wouldn't go too crazy w the porting or the timing....I've never liked the design of the key being built into the flywheel. ...and I've had good luck w making copper keys....so when I made the keyway it was slightly ahead of the original key...we'll see how it runs today!

yep... oh, and to be clear, both are Oregon lgx72 chains... 3/8 050.

the 455's chain is considerably more used, but no dust...just nice square chips off it... the 2nd saw (350) this was the first cut w/ the saw and the first for that B&C.

well, it seems to rev pretty well as is... u guys think I need to put the timing back to stock? honestly, I didn't measure how much its forward.... just made a keyway in the flywheel (like all other small engines except chainsaws) and used a piece of copper wire as a key. the keyway is right adjacent to where the "stock" key was ... literally a piece of 12 gauge copper difference. u guys know your stuff, I'm just flyin here for fun...

-mattyo

Back