Poulan 2300 Tuning Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi again. So after helping ID my saw and how to remove chain and such, I am at my last little problem I would like to address. I just also replaced the fuel line last night as well as the fuel filter with a used one temporarily as mine is on its way. The saw starts up relatively easy and idles ok, but sometimes stalls on its own. If I rev it up on and off, I have no no problems. If I hold it open for approximately 5 - 10 seconds after I release the throttle, the saw stays revving relatively high and the chain keeps going round and round very fast, unless I hit the chain brake. I hit it on then off and all is good again. Just wondering if this is a carburetor adjustment issue, or is it something else. If carburetor adjustment issue, where would be the best place to start? Idle screw, high speed needle, or low speed needle? Thanks again for your time and help.

I honestly never took it off or apart, but when I bought it a few years ago, the gentleman told me he just had the neighbor clean and rebuild the carburetor. He was the local 'small engine' guy, to which I would believe he did as he said. The only reason the saw was for sale was it was older and harder to start for the old gentleman that he bought a new smaller lightweight saw.

With that said, I guess that would be the best place to start looking. Now to do some research. Thank you.

So, I am now wondering if my fuel mix ratio is off and causing the problems? I was using a 40:1 mix that I had seen in the Poulan owners manual. I just went outside to get the carburetor make and model then noticed the decal on the saw. It states to mix 1/2 pint of oil to 1 gallon of gas, which is roughly I believed to be 16:1. Then just before I came here to write this, I read the owners manual again. And in it, it states:

'Poulan® or Weed Eater® 40:1 Engine Oil is strongly
recommended. Available in the following convenient
container sizes, Poulan or Weed Eater 40:1 Engine
Oil should be mixed as follows:

3.2 oz. Container...Mix with 1 gallon gasoline.

8 oz. Container...Mix with 2-112gallons gasoline.

If none of the above oils are available, use a good quality,
two-cycle, air cooled engine oil mixed at a ratio of
16:1(8oz. oil to 1gallon gasoline).'

So with the above, should I mix it at 16:1, or 40:1? Also I am using Stihl 2-stroke oil as that is what I have on hand, but I can buy something else should I need to.

Ok, thank you. I was just a little confused, and wanted to be sure. Even at 40:1, I still mix a tad rich, as instead of the full gallon (3.78L here), I usually put 3.5L to error on the side of caution. I would rather replace a spark plug than a top end.

I would do the carb again a few years time the diaphragm can get stiff...could be varnished up you don't know if you don't take it apart one of the easiest saws to work on carb...it has a chain brake? how about a pic must be a canadian one...

Yes, it is. It is actually a Mastercraft, sold by Canadian Tire (their house brand), and yellow. As well, yes, it does have a chain brake. I will attach pictures that I used in myy ID thread. I hope these are the pictures you were asking about, and not meaning one of the carburetor....

Yes, it is. It is actually a Mastercraft, sold by Canadian Tire (their house brand), and yellow. As well, yes, it does have a chain brake. I will attach pictures that I used in myy ID thread. I hope these are the pictures you were asking about, and not meaning one of the carburetor....

This is a very cool version wow....yes thats what i wanted to see...its a countervibe micro also pretty Unique saw you have well worth the time and money to make it run .....

Back