ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with grass in the garden

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening Forum' started by JTM, Jun 17, 2018.

1. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

Hey up! I have about a 1/4 acre garden that I work on the weekends. I know that’s not optimal since Mother Nature could care less about my schedule. But for several years I’ve been able to make it work. However, the past three years have been awful because of the grasses because of beaucoup rain at just the right time made things too wet to hoe. This year I got my popcorn in late and of course the grass came up with it. I really can’t hoe it without tearing up the corn. So I’ll just lay it by next week and hope for the best. In between the rows is nicely tilled. My question is, is there something I can do for next year? I’m even thinking of letting it lie fallow and do some roundup to keep the grass from going to seed. Would that be ok?

farmer steve likes this.
  2. chucker

chucker Addicted to ArboristSite

in wet years the grass just seems to come out of nowhere? tried the roundup from snow melt till warm enough to plant and its all the same here for me after two years?? sprayed r.up in the fall after harvesting all the plants and still no sign of getting ahead of the grass.

farmer steve likes this.
  3. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

unless you don't like chemical herbicides that is about the only answer. check with your local extension office to see whats available. some are restricted use.

4. sonny580

sonny580 ArboristSite Operative

Poast will get grassy plants, BUT cant use on corn unless it has the Post protected gene in it!---NOW for sweet corn it gotta be RR stuff!---This is my second year with it and the seed is worth every penny of the high cost!

Another thing I use is ME-TOO lachlor pre-merg before I plant,--used to be Dual II, same stuff.--mix a quarter to one half cup to 3 gallons of water and go over an average sized garden.---This will knock down a lot of weeds and grasses! thanks; sonny580

farmer steve likes this.