$20/pound sweet seed corn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it’s the exact same charger bill. Zoom in on the one I have hanging

24j ultra low impademce
400 mile
I literally had to get the strongest one I could afford with good reviews. Haven’t had it long enough to comment but so far worth every penny
Well if it is 24 joules then you are right you got the strongest one. It should do the trick. Have you been shocked by it? The farm store south of us wanted about $700 for them. I see Valley Vet has them for $500.

Son stopped growing corn for grinding into cattle feed. He can buy a 1000# of ear corn for $135. He used to plant 6 acres a year and pick it with a New Idea picker but did the math and it doesn't pan put anymore. He bought 8000# last year. He also grinds 16% pellet feed and Oats that he plants into it. 50# bags of 12-16% protein pellet commodity feed is running $11 to $12/bag.
I wish you were closer as many years I would sell you ear corn for that price. I still have a 3 row New Idea picker in the shed

Well if it is 24 joules then you are right you got the strongest one. It should do the trick. Have you been shocked by it? The farm store south of us wanted about $700 for them. I see Valley Vet has them for $500.
No I’ve tested it on my tester though. Just the sound it makes when I put the gate I drive through down is enough to make me be very careful

I shopped around and got it from valley vet. Had a few 4-600 pound “calves” that wouldn’t mind my old fencer. They got out maybe 2 more times but I think they learned. No one has left the pen since.

Not sure what sweet corn seed will do. If I had to guess I think they’re up charging right now but there’s no reason for it to stay that high

I buy my field corn now and it might have went up 30$ a bag. For 80000 seed per bag. No reason sweet corn should stay up. I farm for a living and I’m just guessing. No data

No I’ve tested it on my tester though. Just the sound it makes when I put the gate I drive through down is enough to make me be very careful

I shopped around and got it from valley vet. Had a few 4-600 pound “calves” that wouldn’t mind my old fencer. They got out maybe 2 more times but I think they learned. No one has left the pen since.
Many, many years ago my cousin had cows in a pasture that had poor fences. There was a summer that they were out nearly everyday. Richard had electric wire up but they just went through. Each afternoon I would go up and help get them out of our field and into his. I still remember our neighbor Leeroy would grab the wire and say "look you dumb..... the wire is not hot". I know the wire was indeed hot but ole Leeroy was a tough as nails guy and would just take the shock to show how tough he was. I am betting if he was still with us today he would not be able to do that with those fencers.

Some cows respect electric some do not. This is a single strand that holds them back...........sometimes.

4.JPG
5.JPG

Son stopped growing corn for grinding into cattle feed. He can buy a 1000# of ear corn for $135. He used to plant 6 acres a year and pick it with a New Idea picker but did the math and it doesn't pan put anymore. He bought 8000# last year. He also grinds 16% pellet feed and Oats that he plants into it. 50# bags of 12-16% protein pellet commodity feed is running $11 to $12/bag.
The corn gluten I used to feed was holding steady at $9/fifty lbs. Now we can't get it. I can get Performance Pellets which is basically the same thing for $ 11/ fifty lbs. Triple 19 fertilizer has come down this year to an "affordable" $1100/ton. They are slowly trying to kill the farmer because everything we grow can be bought in Kroger with no environmental impact.

The corn gluten I used to feed was holding steady at $9/fifty lbs. Now we can't get it. I can get Performance Pellets which is basically the same thing for $ 11/ fifty lbs. Triple 19 fertilizer has come down this year to an "affordable" $1100/ton. They are slowly trying to kill the farmer because everything we grow can be bought in Kroger with no environmental impact.
We paid $11/bag for Performance 16% pellet just Saturday. Haven't had that brand in a while. Bartlett's commodity feed is 16% but it's $12 and Southern States/Cargill is 12% and it's $12. There's a Performance Feed factory in Lawsonville, NC and Martinsville, VA. Haven't priced any fertilizer yet this year. Son bought Triple 17 last Fall for $880/ton and that was down a little. Son is doing decent with his sells of calves, he has customers in 3 states now. Some of our friends are now taking all their calves a place in Taylorsville, NC called the Fox Farm Buying Station, you know exactly what you're going to get per pound ahead of time. Basically bypassing the sale barns where you seem to get screwed.

Checked at my local feed mill yesterday when I saw the Caudill Seed Co. truck leaving. Had just dropped a load of grass seed and other seeds. Owner said the Serendipity corn I usually buy will be $24/lb, and Silver Queen almost $19/lb. So just a heads up if you can possibly buy your seeds early this year. Mill owner predicted the price to go even higher.
Bought 5 lbs. of serendipity for my buddy from Twilley Seeds. Best price I could find. $21.20lb. Free shipping. https://twilleyseed.com/catalog
EDIT. That was the price if you bought 5 lbs. It will keep 2-3 years in the freezer without much loss in germination rate.

Had to look ambrosia up....not dumb but being in research you don't see the retail product side. I have never planted sweet corn because everyone else does and people are willing to share. Pioneer used to plant sweet corn for the employees but someone got the bright idea to harvest a lot of it and sell it. :( The perk was discontinued.

I bet my garden is 500 to 700ft2, so very small compared to a lot of you. If I'm going to put in the work for a garden I need the seeds to germinate. I planted a whole pack of green beans seeds and I didn't have a single one come up. Just like my carrots. Frustrating

Back