What's with the 562XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksvilleal

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Redmax G5000 with a 20" bar, a nice light limbing saw and good for cutting small trees and rounds for my own firewood stock. Now I'm looking to pick up another saw that will cut larger trees and rounds faster and easier - mostly 24" and under, but occasionally larger. Our local hardware store is a Husky dealer and yesterday I was in there and found out they are having a closeout sale on their display models of the 562XP and 372XP (both with only 20" bars). The 562xp sales price is $660, and the 372xp is $690. After looking at the specs of both yesterday I have tentatively zoomed in on the 562XP w/24" bar as an optimal saw for my needs, but am open to considering the 372, since its only .4 lb. heavier. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible since I have had some minor back problems that I don't want to aggravate and am getting up in years (68 and counting), so I am leaning strongly toward the 562XP, especially since I don't expect to be cutting that much larger wood that would require a 28" bar. If I bought either of these closeouts I'd still have to buy a new 24" bar and chain, so that would increase the cost.

Then this morning I started looking on Ebay and found that there are a number of dealers selling the 562XP for prices in the $650 - $700 range, some with 24" bars, most with 20", and most are offering free shipping. I'm just wondering what the deal is here. Is the 562XP about to be discontinued, and if yes, are these prices good deals, or should I wait until its replacement is out and expect the prices of the 562XP to drop even more then? If I can get my local dealer down to $600 and buy a 24" bar and chain for $75 or so that puts him in the range of the Ebay sellers and I would be more inclined to buy it from him. But the big question is should I wait for a better price once the 562XP is officially discontinued?

I agree, ask Terry or Spike60, you couldn't find better prices. I already dealt with Terry, great communication and support.

You can also buy a Jred 2260 from one of 'em, the saw is a bit lighter than the 562 and use small mount bars (these bars are a little lighter than the large ones). Power is exactly the same as the 562, but the JRed is sold a bit cheaper.

Since your title is what is with the 562xp.

That model is pretty much as modern as they offer. It has a filled crank, electronically adjusting carburetor, and stratified charge transfer porting. I doubt it is going to be replaced soon. I believe the current 372 is only stratified charging of those three and is xp,xt. I have no idea of what the likelyhood your dealer has one of these or the prior xp without xt which is not stratified charge. It seems there is a new 70cc model coming. The clutch is on opposite side of the bar so one supposedly handles better and the other makes removing the bar and chain easier.

I think the price discount on the 372 is more drastic if it is the one listed on the Husky website. The real price war seems on the 555 which is like the 562 without the filled crank and a smaller bar mount. You would be pretty much limited to a 24 inch bar. There is a 365 that is an economy priced 372 that may be in a price war once the new model comes out.

Nothing wrong with either saw, but the 562 is more than .4 lb lighter. Buy the one that feels the best in your hands.

I was just going by the specs on the Husky web site. They spec the 562XP as 13.01 lb. (excl. cutting equipment), and the 372XP as 13.4 lbs. Of course the 372 has a larger fuel tank - 26 oz. vs. 22 oz for the 562, so that added another 2.3 oz or so.

The 562XP is (I think) the most modern saw Husky has out. It will not be replaced any time soon.
The 372XP is the (likely) x-torq version (Stratified engine), and is supposedly going to be replaced by a 572 in the unknown near future. When is unclear, since there have been rumors since late 2012, but supposedly it is "coming soon".

The 562XP has a few more bells and whistles (specifically, autotune), is a little lighter, and will do well with a 20" bar in hardwood, or 24" in softwood. It will be at its limit if you bury a 24" in hardwood.
The 372XP is a tried and true platform, easy to work on and with, and will pull a 24" bar in hardwood or a 28" in softwood. It has more balls, but has a slight weight penalty.

At 68 I understand that weight may play a more significant role than for some of the other forum members. You will have to decide how much cutting you plan to do. If you have a lot of 24" wood, go for the bigger saw. If you have less than 20% bigger wood, go for the smaller saw. If you have a helper, give them the bigger wood jobs and go with the bigger saw. If its just you, and you spend long hours cutting, go for the smaller saw. If its just you and you only cut a few hours here and there, you could get by with the bigger saw.

If you spend a lot more time on this forum you'll see that modifying mufflers for better flow and porting saws is all the rage to squeezing out a little more from a saw without going up in CC class for a weight penalty. Modding a muffler is cheap, but porting costs are about $200. If you get the 562XP it would do you well to port it. The 372XP wouldn't need to be ported for your needs, but would put a smile on your face if you did.

The sale price is better on the 372 than the 562, but like others have said, it behooves you to either a) haggle the price locally, or b) shop around for the best price. Also, having a better offer from someone else provides leverage when negotiating locally.

What is up with the 562XP? Nothing is up... the sellers on eBay often have very low prices, but they are often up against a wall trying to meet Husqvarna's required sales quotas to maintain their dealer status, and they are skirting the rules that Husqvarna has laid out prohibiting online sales, so they are more desperate for money I feel. Note that you don't have to pay sales tax on eBay either, but you get no follow up support from them on setting up, tuning, or maintaining your saw.

I think we're missing the OP's point here. We're all power junkies, myself included. He stated that he'd like to keep the right down, due to his age. Even at 46, I can understand than. I think the 562XP is the perfect saw for his needs. Personally, I'd buy it with a 20" and just cut from both sides when needed.

I think we're missing the OP's point here. We're all power junkies, myself included. He stated that he'd like to keep the right down, due to his age. Even at 46, I can understand than. I think the 562XP is the perfect saw for his needs. Personally, I'd buy it with a 20" and just cut from both sides when needed.
Even at 37 i understand[emoji3] 1lbs is a lot at the end of a 10-12 hour day.

that price is about normal on the 562 not a sale price but the 372 is a very good deal at that price. your seeing so many of these saws for sale because thay are so popular everyone is trying to get a piece of the sales pie.

Both saws are excellent choices. I think Brad said it well, the 562 even with a 20" bar will cut a lot of wood, you may have to cut from both sides depending on log size.

OK - thanks, to all you guys for the helpful inputs. Based on the inputs I'm comfortable with the 562XP, most likely with a 24" bar. I have a 20" bar on my G5000, and for a small saw (only 49cc) it cuts surprisingly well, even in hardwoods. My cutting is mostly a combination of oak, cherry, maple and poplar, and I've cut down (and cut up) two 24" cherry trees with it. So I can't imagine that a 562XP wouldn't cut just fine with a 24" bar - and a good sharp chisel chain, of course.

Even at 68 I consider myself pretty robust and healthy, though as I said I have had some minor back problems in the paste - bulging disk issues that have resolved themselves into a not-so-bad steady state. Just don't want to push my luck. And I'm hoping to be able to keep up the wood cutting and splitting well into my 80's if I don't overdo it and take proper care of the back. (Although I'm still lifting pretty big rounds up onto the Iron & Oak horizontal splitter from the ground manually much of the time; which is probably not smart. Gotta start using the tractor hydraulics more for that.) So the extra 2 lbs. (plus whatever extra the longer bar & chain bring to the mix) of the 562XP over the G5000 is probably a good upper limit for me given my seasoned citizen status.

So the 562XP it is. Now I just have to find a good deal from a good dealer. Appreciate a couple of you giving me some hints on that in the PMs, too.

Many thanks.
Al

Latest posts

Back