Land clearing with a 562xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thought comes to mind, that being if you are not selling or milling the logs it may be in everyone's interests to push the trees over with a dozer or excavator as this will take care if the stumps at the same time and a stump with a tree still attached is far easier to remove than trying to rip out a bare stump.

Like Karl said, If you plan on removing the stumps later it might be a good idea to, at least leave the stumps as high as you can so you can push them over later

looking at the work you are doing with your 562xp, I have decided my next two saws will be one of those, and the jrd 2166 for good measure. The pp5020av will play backup then even if I don't have the land to justify such toys. Of course, my wife will be "concerned" when I spend $1400 on saws.

The hinge looks like it was a bit on the "thin" side - but it obviously worked! :msp_biggrin:

Thanks SawTroll, I firmly believe that this drop had everything to do with luck! It's pretty obvious, especially when the tree falls 70-75*'s from the face! If this situation arises again, I won't consider saving a "small oak" and just face it towards its lay.

looks to me like you have a pretty good handle on dropping them where you want em to be.:msp_biggrin:
Carry on JakeG and I really enjoy the pictures.

Ron

Thank you Ron. Like most people, I am still learning and will continue to do so. I don't know anyone who cuts regularly much less owns a saw that's worth a damn so I learn what I can from AS and books.

looking at the work you are doing with your 562xp, I have decided my next two saws will be one of those, and the jrd 2166 for good measure. The pp5020av will play backup then even if I don't have the land to justify such toys. Of course, my wife will be "concerned" when I spend $1400 on saws.

Thanks! The 562 is a relatively small, light weight saw for its ability. And $1400 on saws isn't a big deal if the saws pay for themselves! Otherwise, it's hard to justify. Mine paid for itself the first week I got it :hmm3grin2orange:

In response to CJ-

pole mills want clear wood. Most loblolly grow limbs from almost the dirt.

around here, and in Tx as well I suspect, pine that is cut more than a couple of days will begin to attract beetles making it worthless. If he is cutting by himself, he is going to have a hard time geting the timber on the ground in a timely enough manner to make it feasible for anyone to come by and pick it up and still have bug-free wood.

OP, I certainly hope this works for you. I work at a college where we have a forestry program. The instructor also operates a logging operation. He and I talk timber a lot and subjects such as this one come up often. This is his take on the situation as well.

Yea, after seeing pics looks like alot of dead and small stuff. Lotsa firewood!! As far as the bugs and pine, it does not take them long after the tree is on the ground. My buddie has a log home mill and a walk through the yard on a calm night is errie at best. Nasty chewing buggers. CJ

Yea, after seeing pics looks like alot of dead and small stuff. Lotsa firewood!! As far as the bugs and pine, it does not take them long after the tree is on the ground. My buddie has a log home mill and a walk through the yard on a calm night is errie at best. Nasty chewing buggers. CJ

I'm gonna call around and get someone to pick up these logs. There are at least 60 trees on the ground which should make several FTL's of pulpwood/pine. The +/- 45 I cut last week were in the 20-30" bdh, I know that because my 24" bar barely reached through the smaller trees and the 28" did not reach though the larger ones. So they're not too small imo.

On another note, I ordered a Total Super Pro 24" bar (from "watsonr" @ weedeaterman.com I believe) to replace the original bar. The original doesn't seem as solid as my 20 & 28" total super pro's.

I don't see how the 562xp can be considered an ugly saw :msp_sneaky: Looks good to me!

Time to get to work...

I don't want to start a debate, but I got to "fondle" Jakes 562, and it is tiny! This is a very good thing. If I were a bucking or limbing for a living all day long, I would get one of those with an 20" bar in a second. Unbelievable how small and light it is for 60cc:chainsaw:

I don't want to start a debate, but I got to "fondle" Jakes 562, and it is tiny! This is a very good thing. If I were a bucking or limbing for a living all day long, I would get one of those with an 20" bar in a second. Unbelievable how small and light it is for 60cc:chainsaw:

You're right, it is tiny.. And I'm glad too!

On another note:

There are two things I really do not enjoy...

1 - Skidding logs with a tractor
2 - Swiss - cheese trees

Enough said.. That's my version of a rant. :laugh:

Someone bring me a dozer :hmm3grin2orange:

As I finish this plot of land, I realize the owners were never around when I was. It was probably better that way but as a result, they didn't learn a thing about using/owning a saw. What they did learn is to leave any tree over 10" and just call me. :msp_thumbsup:

Aside from having to cut up a handful of 20-24" pines and a 30" water oak, I'm pretty much done. At least until they figure out where the house(s), driveways, barn etc are going.

The water oak will turn into bbq smoking wood and rough sawn slabs.

Here's a few "nothin' fancy" pics over the last couple weeks.. Just basic stuff on the property... Mostly dead/decaying/back leaning (hence the step in some of the back cuts) slash and loblolly pine.

Oops.. Happens to everyone I'd like to think :laugh: I hung this pine in the water oak previously mentioned.

Can't trust any of the wood out here

Latest posts

Back