Quick vice to hold saw for filing in the field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got sick of sharpening my saw on the tailgate using the cable as a support.
This fit's in the space between the bed and the tailgate.
I've already replaced the wingnut with a coupler and a piece of 3/8 round welded on for a T handle, much more leverage.
r8PrKq7.jpg

m66qM5Q.jpg

xoJxCEU.jpg

vruxzZN.jpg

A very nice vise indeed. And the fabrication is nice also. What if you discover a much easier way yet. A larger C clamp with part of the C cut out so it can fit inside your tool box with a lag bolt welded to it. Done It is hard to get comfortable on the back of your tailgate. There have been several threads where this has been mentioned. A 1/2" lag bolt is some times too big to get into the stumps and then some time it need to be bigger, but most often at a cutting site there is usually some wood around to screw it into. Thanks

The problem I have with anything that has to be screwed or hammered into a log or stump or whatever won't be at a comfortable height. I always have my truck when I'm cutting, it's a 2500 Ram and very tall, I'm 6'-2" and it makes a great work bench. I do like the idea of the c clamp though, I will keep it in mind. Thanks

A very nice vise indeed. And the fabrication is nice also. What if you discover a much easier way yet. A larger C clamp with part of the C cut out so it can fit inside your tool box with a lag bolt welded to it. Done It is hard to get comfortable on the back of your tailgate. There have been several threads where this has been mentioned. A 1/2" lag bolt is some times too big to get into the stumps and then some time it need to be bigger, but most often at a cutting site there is usually some wood around to screw it into. Thanks
@Ted Jenkins Do you have a picture of your c-clamp style you can share?

it's dark right know but I will try and get some pictures my trailer has a small wooden table built in the corner with a vice I paid 4 dollars for at a garage sale , I always used to have my trailer with to haul the wood home with my 1 ton E350 van, then I bought my new to me used 2004 ford f150 so now I am often working from the tail gate , I have a vice that used to be bolted to my grandfathers work bench before he passed it is bolted to a 2-12 and sits on the tail gate at about the right height.

but 4 dollar vice finds at rumage sales don't ahppen evey day , I did get it becuase it was frozen and a god soak with ATF and a littel hammering opened it up.

I just purchased a stump vice tried it on a round I had at home, I would like grandpas vice to stop riding around in the back of may truck and take up residency on my work bench also it was a little low for me I am also 6 ' 2" but my truck isn't as tall. next time I get out cutting I will cut a round put it on the tail gate and tap the stump vice into it , I also like that it is inexpensive at 10 dollars new , light and seems to hold the saw well .
I plan to make up a bench that can be moved around the woods with the forks on the skid steer so that it is close to where I am cutting and not have to walk back out the road to sharpen but I didn't want to have to leave a vice bolted to it for sharpening so I will cut a notch for the stump vice to be used on the bench.

I got sick of sharpening my saw on the tailgate using the cable as a support.
This fit's in the space between the bed and the tailgate.
I've already replaced the wingnut with a coupler and a piece of 3/8 round welded on for a T handle, much more leverage.
r8PrKq7.jpg

m66qM5Q.jpg

xoJxCEU.jpg

vruxzZN.jpg
looks good , have you thought about welding the proper size nut to a 19mm so that you can tighten it with your scrench rather than the wing nut , you already have the wrench right there might as well be one more use for it

edited : I just saw where you said you used a coupler and t-handle to get better leverage than the wing nut

her are my three options for sharpening
mounting the vice on the trailer it worked best to be able to file form each side if the saw was hanging off the edge and the bar at a 45 to the trailer corner 20170326_115341.jpg 20170326_115352.jpg 20170326_115600.jpg

Take any size c clamp that you have lay it down on a flat metal surface then take a 3'' to 4'' 1/2'' lag bolt and lay it opposite the threaded part of the clamp. Weld the bolt to the clamp and now you have a portable work vice for chain saw work. Take this device to the next chainsaw job and screw it into a log or stump that is located conveniently. Put the bar into the c clamp and tighten. The bar should be verticle, now sharpen away. When done unscrew it and put into your tool box. For me crouching next to my saw is the most comfortable. Other wise mount a vice or clamp on to your tailgate like some have already done. As far as pictures go there will not be any available for two weeks because I am in the desert where there are no trees right now. This type of vice is not difficult to understand or fabricate. Thanks​

Most stumps out here are so low that the stump mounting isn't real practical. Tailgate height is a lot easier to work at, at least for me.
Same thing with hitch mounted vises. Wilton sells one, and several A.S. members have shown up with bench vises mounted on plates that fit into the hitch receiver on their trucks. Have to get down on your knees to sharpen, for the low ones; have to find a way to brace others if they are elevated.
Hitch Vise.jpg

Screen shot 2017-03-28 at 2.25.56 PM.png
Wilton:http://www.wiltontools.com/us/en/c/truck-hitch-vises/W440,

Philbert

I would think that people who are cutting trees down often could cut a stump to any height they wanted or move a couple of logs around to have the perfect location for a work station. If Pete is happy with his tailgate vice then it should be perfect for him and want to work from their tailgate. Some times just strapping a clamp or vice to the back of a tailgate is the best solution for servicing a saw. Whatever it is much better then having the saw sliding around while trying to get the chain sharp. Thanks

IMHO the most important factors for good filing include: a sharp file, good lighting, and a stable bar/chain.

Dull files just make things difficult; they are a consumable, and a cutting tool, and should be treated as such (both parts);
Good lighting lets you see what you are doing, what still needs to be done, and if you have a good edge;
A stable bar/chain means that you are not 'fighting' or compensating for a moving cutter and can get good, clean, accurate strokes. A vise lets you use both hands to guide the file, whether you 'freehand' or use a file guide.

If you can hold the bar steady enough to meet your needs, then that is an acceptable way for you. I have seen guys press the bar down into a log, or onto a rag, etc. to stabilize it, or hold it up against their shoulder (like playing a stringed instrument). But these sometimes require awkward postures. A simple vise lets me position myself independently of the clamping posture, and focus on the filing.

Philbert

Back