Randy Mac, I finally did it, I got the little Ridgid going!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Randy Mac sent me this little Ridgid 305-14 (Poulan 20D) better part of 2 years ago to add to my collection of Ridgid saws.

I finally got it going today. :rock:

It had been years and years ago since I messed with a Poulan 20 and I remember not likeing them much back then and I had forgot alot about them. Truthfully I did work some on this about 6 months ago but run out of patiance with it after it wouldnt run right or oil at all. Back on the shelf it went.

I got ambitious today for a challange and dug it back out. I thought the last time I messed with it, it seemed like it had a air leak so I pulled it down and changed the crank seals and checked everything else out as well. I found that some dummy (ME) had a carb gasket in wrong as well as had a bent inlet lever so I fixed the carb right this time.

I also took the time to check the oil system again and found the oiler had been apart before and had a check valve in the wrong place in it (not me this time) as well as a missing gasket. I had replaced the oiler impulse line the last time I worked on it and found I did not have to split the case like the book says, but I still had to pull the jug to fish the line into the crank case.

Anyway after a couple hours of frustration, its up and going like its supposed to!

I'm thinking Randy thought I might have trashed it by now and just wanted to post it up so he can see that it is in good condition again. I'm glad to have it for the collection with the other Ridgids that I have. Now to find the rest of them.

Here are a couple pictures of it and if the video of it running ever shows up I'll post that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well done. Cool to get the odd ones (Name Brands that is) running again :)

Nice looking saw, now that you overcame that frustration can I send you a Mini Mac? :hmm3grin2orange:

No, no, no, that won't be needed.

My main frustration was trying to figure the oiler system figured out again. That and the fact that the oiler had been messed with before I got it. Once I seen the problem it was pretty easy.

Any top handle has its quirks but really this one is not that hard at all to work on. Just a few screws and your at the carb etc. The points are under the clutch so thats easy as well if you have the clutch tool, which I do have.

The only real problem to fix is the oiler impulse line and that is a PITA but really how many times is that ever needed in its lifetime?

Good going Mark - that is one cool, futuristic little saw. I may be stupid but how do you get fuel in that thing?:msp_sad:

Al.

Mark,

That's a cool looking one to add to you flock. nice job.

Brian

Mark

Could you put up a pic or 3 of your Ridgid saw collection. Please!

Here is what I got so far. There are not alot of them that I have documents for. There was a 305-10 which is a Poulan 20, the 305-14 that I have is a 20D. The 380-16AV is a Poulan S25CVA, and the 590-17 is a Poulan 306. The only other that I have documented is a 690-21AV that is a Poulan 4200.

A collector in Holland found a 690-21AV then he later found a Ridgid version of the 5200 which I did not know existed.

So at this point I have half of the known Ridgid/Poulan saws. I always keep my eyes out for the others that I dont have but dont really expect to find them all, but it would be nice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

nice saw,nice pics & more importantly nice clean working aera,or was it sitting here just for the pic ? :biggrin:

<blockquote>I finally did it, I got the little Ridgid going!</blockquote>Dude, at your age I guess that doesn't happen very often - congratulations! (nice saw too) :rock:

Latest posts

Back