Rayco RG50 Polybelt Pulley Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, shredded the belt on my RG50 today and need to replace the belt and both the pulleys. Tried taking off one of the bushings that holds the pulleys on and it doesn't want to budge with my puller. Any tips on getting it off? Lots of heat? Any need to replace this assuming they come off fine?

Also, I'm gonna do the cutter wheel bearings while it's ripped apart. Anybody have good sources for the parts besides Rayco or have a part number for the linkbelt bearings?

At the moment, I'm planning on ordering the stuff from global equipment exporters.

Good people. Best prices. Check their site for part #s. Got all the parts for my 50 from them. Can't help with install tips. Mine was in for an engine problem and I had the parts installed at that time. How many hours did you get on the sprocket belt and bearings?
Good luck.

Rayco at one time used Gates QD sprockets where the bushing is incorporated into the sprocket. My partner Randy, who does the mechanic work, usually has to burn them off. If you send me a photo of the sprocket, I can tell you what you have. If it is a QD sprocket, you'll have to update it to a sprocket with a taper loc bushing.

I appreciate the compliments!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-966-9056

Please see the photo below of a taper loc bushing. If this doesn't look familiar, you have a QD sprocket and you'll have to burn it off. Please be careful not to burn the shaft.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-966-9056

Attachments

• Taper Loc Bushing.jpg
    Taper Loc Bushing.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 8
Here are some pictures, part number on the smaller sprocket is 14m 28s 37HT. I've found that sprocket on ebay, it's made by gates.

9jhdn4.jpg

2rgpee8.jpg

Is it just because they are tough to get off or are there other problems associated with this design?

If I have to torch them off, I assume you cut off the sprocket and bushing since the bushing goes inside the sprocket, correct? I know my puller isn't budging the bushing at all.

I think Gates replaced the QD version as it's very hard to get it off. When cutting it, do it on the opposite side of the keyway. After you get new ones, you'll have to get a straight edge and make sure both sprockets are aligned. The sprocket is sharp! You should be able to get around 400 hours on the top sprocket and maybe 600 hours out of the bottom.

Dave

Wow, OK TAPER LOCK BUSHINGS.... On this set up The 3 open holes draw the hub into the pulley to tighten. THE 3 TAPPED Holes in the Bushing are to Remove the Pulley from the Bushing. Remove the bolts that hold the pulley to the bushing and install them into the tapped holes lube the hub with penetrant and tighten the 3 bolts evenly till the pulley comes loose from the Bushing!!!! Then the Bushing should slide off the shaft depending on rust factor you may need to use a slide hammer or puller to remove bushing from shaft..

Scot

Scot,

The setup Andrew is tackling is a QD sprocket and not a taper loc bushing. The taper loc bushing is in the photo I listed and that's what he'll go to after getting this one off as I don't think he wants to go through this again. You're right about removing a taper loc bushing as it's much easier than a QD.

Throw the flame and air to it Andrew. It'll be the only way it comes off.

Good luck,

Dave

Well, I got the bushing off without torching them off. I ran the bolts back through the threaded part and then started beating on the bushing with a hammer, which shocked it, tightened the bolts some, hammer some more, etc. I broke one bolt off, but overall, it wasn't too bad getting them off. My puller didn't want to budge them when I tried earlier last week. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm just glad they are off.

Was able to remove the cutter wheel bearings this morning with a big puller I loaned from a buddy. Ordering bearings from Dave here this morning.

Thanks for help guys!

I must be missing something here. Scotts comment is correct. You drive the bushing out via the three threaded holes. One does not need a puller.
I does help to soak it in penetrating lube if its being a problem and also I use new grade 8 bolts because they do tend to break on tough ones.
I might even run a tap through the threads if they are rusty.
I know they can be a ***** but a little patients usually does the trick.

How do you get it back on? Is there an adjustment for the tension on the pulley to slide it down or the lower pulley up?
Wow, OK TAPER LOCK BUSHINGS.... On this set up The 3 open holes draw the hub into the pulley to tighten. THE 3 TAPPED Holes in the Bushing are to Remove the Pulley from the Bushing. Remove the bolts that hold the pulley to the bushing and install them into the tapped holes lube the hub with penetrant and tighten the 3 bolts evenly till the pulley comes loose from the Bushing!!!! Then the Bushing should slide off the shaft depending on rust factor you may need to use a slide hammer or puller to remove bushing from shaft..

Scot

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like you're coming along just fine.

You have to loosen the motor mount bolts. On the mounts closest to the engine, you'll see a block with a slit in it. Remove the bolt closest to the end with the slit. You'll have to loosen the others as well. Then you'll see a threaded rod and you'll have to drive that nut down to loosen the top sprocket.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400

I got that part. The bushing is extremely hard to get on. Is that normal? Do I tighten the bushing all the way to the pulley and will that make it slide on easier? Already broke 1 bushing!

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like you're coming along just fine.

You have to loosen the motor mount bolts. On the mounts closest to the engine, you'll see a block with a slit in it. Remove the bolt closest to the end with the slit. You'll have to loosen the others as well. Then you'll see a threaded rod and you'll have to drive that nut down to loosen the top sprocket.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400

Back