Remington Super 754

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know of a way to check actual polarity except to try the module with a typical negative ground and see if it works. And honestly? I've only read about the "wrong polarity" issue being a problem with the single terminal devices -- which is more likely incorrect wiring of the module in the first place, but maybe not. Not heard of a positive ground 031 or 032 which is where I've read of the polarity issues with the single terminal modules. Have also heard about timing problems and flywheel re-alignment being required on the older replacement modules..., or not. Seems like those issues have been worked out with the latest generation of these modules. That said, Carl (Driver) would be much more qualified to speak to positive ground possibly being used on some of the older saws as well as possible timing issues using the chips, (though I know he's a points man whenever a points ignition can be revived on an older saw). I think the two terminal modules may have primarily evolved from the practice of using adhesives (RTV, etc.) for mounting them and then wiring to ground rather than hard metal to metal contact otherwise providing the chassis ground connection. As for removing the points and condenser, I'm not familiar with the layout on a 754 (even though I have one!) but would think it would be more a matter of space consideration or simple convenience than anything else as to your decision there.

Thank you, I ordered a nova ii module for the saw. I believe it has two terminals for positive or negative ground. Any tips for checking saw polarity? Also should I remove points and condenser from coil housing before installing nova, or should it be alright to leave in place? Good tip about keeping cool.

Don't sweat the polarity on the Nova module. Just wire it up like the instructions show. If it don't spark, just switch the wires around, you won't hurt it if it is backwards to begin with.

As for mounting it, try to keep it as far from the cylinder as possible to avoid the heat from it. Partner used to use a module like these on there so call Ignitron ign and mounted them in the bottom of the rear handle if that tells you anything.

Have you got to crank seals for it yet? If you ask him nice I believe cbfarmall can hook you up with the easy to get proper seal numbers for those.

Good info, thank you guys, I like the idea of mounting it in the handle. I haven't got to crankshaft seals yet, are you referring to the parts numbered 67 on the diagram below? If not maybe someone can point me in the right direction, while taking it apart I didn't see anything resembling modern crank seals. Could've overlooked it though.Screenshot_2018-04-08-10-04-47.pngScreenshot_2018-04-08-10-07-04.png

And does that act as the seal? I can't see anything else in diagram that would be it.

Hey guys I found it in the diagram, it was down at the bottom, I had been planning on just reusing those parts, as nothing looked broken.Screenshot_2018-04-08-12-16-03.png

I figured I'd like to get it up and running first before putting any more money into it. But you guys make a good point about replacing them now while it's apart. I'll probably look into it.

I figured I'd like to get it up and running first before putting any more money into it. But you guys make a good point about replacing them now while it's apart. I'll probably look into it.

I'll be blunt like usual, the seals if original are 50 years old and made of rubber which deteriorates with age. You really think they are going to still seal like they should now, especially since you disturbed them when taking it apart?

If they leak and they will, the saw will not run right and all the work in taking it apart will be wasted. Not wanting to put any money in it would have been the reason to just put it on a shelf to look at. The seals are a small cost anyway, maybe $10 worth and they are easy to take out now the the case is already split. Just don't put them back in till the crank is back in the saw.

Ok, I appreciate the bluntness, your right. I'll start looking for replacement seals, if anyone can point in the right direction I'd be grateful.

I found a thread on this very site that gave seal numbers, SKF 9838 + 7440. I'll get them ordered as soon as I can. This site is a great resource, thanks again guys.

Found and ordered a set of rings that should fit, thanks again everyone for the help. Will update again when saw is back together. View attachment 643551 View attachment 643552
Hello! I’m new here. I read your post about finding piston rings for a Remington super 754 chainsaw. I’m in that situation right now. I see where you found piston rings a chainsaw like it. Could you let me know where I can find them. I’m restoring it for a customer. Thanks in advance.

Back