Roast me on my porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absolution

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've Done a few 4 stokes usually Chevys and Oldsmobiles and my 5.9 diesel. But 2 stokes kinda worried me. There were a few things I didn't really understand but this morning I woke up and said why not. There were defiantly a few hiccups. But I buffed it out.... sort of. I was really worried the first time I started it but it proved to run extremely well.

I used a dental tool. Basically a very expensive but very nice dremel to do pretty much all of it. I didn't Really have the tools to do the intake fingers But I tried my best with what I had. I tried to put a good finish on the ports as well but it was no where near what I've seen on here.
The part I feel like I really messed up on where where I removed parts of the bottom cylinder The bit skipped on me and left some marks where I didn't want them. Which is why one side is a polished WRECK. You cant see in the photos where I polished around the mouth of ports but I had taken another bit and put a less aggressive chamfer to lessen my worry of a ring snagging.

This port defiantly looks better off camera but I had already installed it by the time I looked at pics.

I know you are suppose to let them break in but I was really in a blow or go mood. This wasn't even a single chance thing it was running 14-15k with amazing throttle response. I really want to get another tach just to make sure though. Before it only ran 11-12k 12k being the best I had seen.

That 1106 070/090 is turning 15k?

Hmmmm
Yep..... according the the tach. Which before changed the cylinder it seemed correct. When I disabled the gov it was going 11-12k which is normal. I'm going to put the gov back on and bringing it back down to 12k. But i also want to find another tach and double check it.

Edit: I may take another video this week if i can find some hard wood cause it sounds like it's turning faster now aswell.

Yep..... according the the tach. Which before changed the cylinder it seemed correct. When I disabled the gov it was going 11-12k which is normal. I'm going to put the gov back on and bringing it back down to 12k. But i also want to find another tach and double check it.

Edit: I may take another video this week if i can find some hard wood cause it sounds like it's turning faster now aswell.

http://slugaservice-com.3dcartstores.com/assets/html/S_specs.html

You are knocking on 50% over spec on RPM.

The 8k was what the wind vane gov capped them at. From what I was reading it was due to Rings getting caught in the ports at higher RPMs. Its also why 070 and 090s have that stutter sound.

Yes.

I’ve owned an 1106 also.

I’m sure it’s ok for playing occasionally, but I don’t think it will live long @ 15k.

Your Money, Your Saw.

Did you richen the high end of the carb after this port? 15k, you might be running a little lean...

Did you richen the high end of the carb after this port? 15k, you might be running a little lean...

Actually its running rich atm but that high rpm i only did once I was already pushing my luck. I was afraid to touch the carb and since it was running rich i left it alone.

Yes.

I’ve owned an 1106 also.

I’m sure it’s ok for playing occasionally, but I don’t think it will live long @ 15k.

Your Money, Your Saw.

Yeah, i dont think im going too I want to keep this for my mill.

Actually its running rich atm

So it's running rich yet still turning 15k rpm? How do you know it's running rich? My understanding was that if it turns too fast, then that means it's too lean, and the way to slow it down is to richen up the H screw...

Not trying to argue, just trying to learn here...so you still get the 4-stroke "flutter" or "burble" sound at 15k WOT under no load? Is it also 4-stroking in the cut?

So it's running rich yet still turning 15k rpm? How do you know it's running rich? My understanding was that if it turns too fast, then that means it's too lean, and the way to slow it down is to richen up the H screw...

Not trying to argue, just trying to learn here...so you still get the 4-stroke "flutter" or "burble" sound at 15k WOT under no load? Is it also 4-stroking in the cut?
No, I was going off of smell it's not four stroking at WOT. I also only hit wide open for a few seconds after I saw the RPM. I have no wood at the moment to cut.

I can see where this is going. Okay, I just took a video and decided to go for it. If it blow it blows. The only way I could tell if it was rich was the smell. I didn't want to run it WOT. So I just did a video of me running into the lean area away from what it was. and also so you could hear the saw.

Yeah, ya gotta be careful with some. Favorite activities, 1) self promotion, and 2) 2nd guessing everybody else. For some/the-one ;) it is the same thing.

I can see where this is going. Okay, I just took a video and decided to go for it. If it blow it blows. The only way I could tell if it was rich was the smell. I didn't want to run it WOT. So I just did a video of me running into the lean area away from what it was. and also so you could hear the saw.

Yeah, ya gotta be careful with some. Favorite activities, 1) self promotion, and 2) 2nd guessing everybody else. For some/the-one ;) it is the same thing.

I'm second guessing myself which is why i stated in the first post I wanted to get another tach. But I'm also a firm believer in Murphy's Laws, so I didn't test it.

Latest posts

Back