Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love the variety of this thread!!

Small loads, big loads, loads by a hoe ... ya say that around some friends and wait for the odd looks!!

Now everyone, in the key of 50-1 ... Keep on ... Runnin’ Loads !!!
don't we all wish we had a good hoe?? lol able to work both ends makes for an enjoyable time doing what we do best!!

I absolutely love the variety of this thread!!

Small loads, big loads, loads by a hoe ... ya say that around some friends and wait for the odd looks!!

Now everyone, in the key of 50-1 ... Keep on ... Runnin’ Loads !!!

I'll go small loads. It was about 9°F, too cold for me to run a saw, so I moved some rounds and split to keep warm.

IMG_2042.JPG

Snow melted and allowed me to continue, it was frozen to the ground though. Luckily just strapped the logs to the truck and pulled them free. I never include the saw but finally did on this pic. It's a 576XP with a 24" bar

h8m0lmHl.jpg

Can't the Ryobi cut it in hardwood?

There is a crapload in that trailer though, what's that mebbe 5 cubes worth of poles?

Heated handles on that 026 lol
Yup , about 4.5 to 5 cube , I dropped that off to a fella that paid me a while back , he looked at the load after I dumped it and asked how much more he owed , I told him that he had paid for a load and that's what he got , a load .
He said he'd take another load this spring .

I'm sorry, but I just don't get the "Ice" tongs? By the time he gets the first one on the bitty log I could have picked it up and stacked it. By the time he got the second one on I could have moved 3 of the bitty logs. Was he moving in slow motion to show how it works? I can almost understand that you don't have to bend quite as far, but then you have to lift twice as far. If I were putting them on the tailgate of my 4X4 Dodge I would have to lift my hands chin high. Hook, I get, makes my arm longer. Tongs I don't really get. Makes you carry to your side instead of center of body. It looks like a tool for some one with girly hands, that's afraid to touch bark.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get the "Ice" tongs? By the time he gets the first one on the bitty log I could have picked it up and stacked it. By the time he got the second one on I could have moved 3 of the bitty logs. Was he moving in slow motion to show how it works? I can almost understand that you don't have to bend quite as far, but then you have to lift twice as far. If I were putting them on the tailgate of my 4X4 Dodge I would have to lift my hands chin high. Hook, I get, makes my arm longer. Tongs I don't really get. Makes you carry to your side instead of center of body. It looks like a tool for some one with girly hands, that's afraid to touch bark.

Just thinking out loud here, since I've never used the tongs or lifting hook, but I'd guess that like a pulp hook, pickaroon, splitting mail, et cetera, a person has to spend some time using them before becoming proficient. I just got a couple pulp hooks after the recommendation of another member here. I like it so far, but I can tell it'll be much more useful after it's been in my hand for a good 8-12 hours. I'll agree that the user in that video didn't exactly sell me on the concept, but someone who uses them daily might make a much more convincing demonstration.

As I mentioned, I've never used the tongs and hook, but I know it's a pretty common setup in the Scandinavia countries. Have you ever watched the Swedish Homestead YouTube videos? I forget which one it is (maybe the one about the forestry toolbelt), but Simeon's brother Tim, who is an arborist and forestry professional shows how he uses them in conjunction while thinning pine stands. Honestly, I'd never considered them, but after watching the video, I would like to give them a try.

None of these tools are a silver bullet which will eliminate all the manual labor, but they aren't expensive (compared to a chainsaw or a tractor anyway) and they look pretty durable. For what they cost, I don't mind buying a few different things and trying them out. You can always sell them here or give them to a friend if you don't like the way they work.

I should have said that the guy in the vid is a hipster or just a model, I just put the vid up to show the use .
I've got years of use with the tongs , I usually move 8' if small or use the tongs to drag stuff to the chipper , just an extension of my hands and I'm not always curling my wrists .

Comet had a 200 or 250 six, if not a 170 or possibly a 144. The 300 was never available in the Comet or other small Ford products.

The 300 six was exclusively a truck or industrial engine and was a different family than the small six cylinder family.

The 300 did have a smaller displacement version of the same architecture, the 240, which was available in the Galaxy and F100 pickups.

The 300 was available in trucks as large as the F600.

My cousin has a Comet with a V-8, I want to say 289?

I’ll ask him: it was his aunt’s car.

Latest posts

Back