Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you said the "rare 16" rims" were they the old split rims. My 55 IH R 130 one ton, had 16" split rims, so did my 63 one ton and my Dad's brand new 72 Chevy C30 still had 16" split rims. They all ran 7.50X16 mud and snows, go anywhere. Was that Zogger or White Spider that liked the old bias ply tires?
My 68 has the original rims. They aren't splits (widow makers )they are retainer with ring type 17 inchers too. And the old mud and snow tires go threw anything specially with a posi. I even have the optional took kit to repair tires in the field .
20190328_130649.jpg20190408_195015.jpg

I don’t know if being a C30 one ton made a difference? Since the 12’ stake body had duels. The wheels were off set so the centers touched when bolted on. The front wheels bolted on with the offset out, so the tire was set in, all six wheels were the same. It may have been an option? I didn’t know they had 17’s in 68, I believe you. All of our Chevy one tons pre 72 had 16” splits. The 7.50X16 was the most common tire on light work trucks when I was growing up, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s.

Maybe I’m calling a lock ring, a split rim? All of the ones we had, had the ring with a notch in it. You stuck the tip of the tire tool in the notch and pryed it off. It could come off with vengeance. I just did a search for wheel size 68 C20. The web site, 67-72trucks.com came up. The question being asked was, what size wheel should my dads C20 Camper Special have on it?. There were ten or more answers and almost all said 7.50x16 splits. A couple said 7.50X16 lock rings, and one said you could get an 8.50X16 optional. That’s in line with what we had back then. Not arguing, just saying what I had.

Thanks, Mark. They are calling them "Lock Ring" , I called those split rims. I goggled the "difference between split rims and lock rings", and it showed the same picture. Since our truck was a C30, the wheels were offset for the duels. I fell back to the source of all knowledge, Flebay. This is what our wheels looked like. You can see the gap in the ring to pry it off. I liked ring locks, it meant I could change my own tires. I've changed solid rims by hand too, and that's a bear.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-GMC-Che...905635?hash=item1ce61f7563:g:WRsAAOSwck1dZqyR

Now I'm a
My 68 has the original rims. They aren't splits (widow makers )they are retainer with ring type 17 inchers too. And the old mud and snow tires go threw anything specially with a posi. I even have the optional took kit to repair tires in the field .
View attachment 808221View attachment 808222
Now that I'm at my desk, I can see the gap to spread the ring. I couldn't see that on my tablet.

Ya split rims, lock rings, widow makers ... all the same thing.
Ya 16’s we’re common on split’s, in the F350 it was 17 & 18 in both types, the reason I say rare is I have 16in non splits with 6 on 7.25, yes bias ply Lasagna ground grips. Not very many were ever made and was the last year as 66 they went to 8 on 6.5
Keep on .... Running Load’s !!

I don't remember if I already posted this pict. or not? But I like it, so here I go,

standard.jpg

SR

Latest posts

Back