Ryobi 10532 Build - Lots 'o Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
There really isn't any point to this thread, other than that it is January and I'm bored. I realize these saw's flash in the pan was over before the Earthquake's began, but I had a carcass I got off eBay to donate an engine for my McCulloch. I was smart and got one that had a "bad thing" happen to the handle/tank, so I would not be tempted to rebuild it. Then I put a ported engine in the McCulloch, and Marc (diggers_dad) gave me a good handle, so here we are anyway.
IMG_5963-800.jpg
First, some clean up on the intake system. I don't like the way this thing hangs down into the carb intake, so I clean them up (had a hard time with the focus here):
IMG_5966-800.jpg IMG_5967-800.jpg
Here it is reduced and smoothed:
IMG_5968-800.jpg IMG_5970-800.jpg

Next the airbox inlet needed some attention - I enlarged and smoothed it too:
IMG_5971-800.jpg IMG_5972-800.jpg
Next, I removed the divider that blocks off the "air injection" system this saw was obviously designed to have:
IMG_5973-800.jpg
It picks up air just off the edge of the flywheel fins:
IMG_5974-800.jpg
Then I blocked off the other air inlet with some thin adhesively backed Lexan material:
IMG_5977-800.jpg

But it needs a muffler! Naturally it needs to be modified, so I used my usual approach for these. Mark off the back and drill it out:
IMG_6002-800.jpg
Once it is drilled the internal baffle is hogged out with a die grinder. The hole in the baffle easily exceeds the area of the port. Then it gets a coat of Ultra Copper to seal it:
IMG_6009-800.jpg
A SS sheet for a cover:
IMG_6011-800.jpg
A little banging with a rubber mallet:
IMG_6012-800.jpg

It started and ran, but I had a problem with the seal on the fuel cap and it was leaking. It looks like it just got hard so I will probably pick up a new one.
I have not seen a GZ400 in person, but from pictures and IPL it appears the Ryobi is a GZ400. IMO the GZ400/Ryobi is the best of these saws. It has the better Zenoah air valve, filter and linkages compared to the Jenn Feng built McCulloch.

Compared to the GZ4000 it has a purge bulb, a ZAMA carb with metal linkages, a better choke linkage and a taller filter cover with more room. Otherwise they are the same.

This engine is mostly stock, except for a bit of spark advance, deleting the base gasket (squish is right at 0.020"), and blending the lower transfers to match the case, similar to this one:
IMG_5921-800.jpg
I've already run this engine and it works well, so assuming nothing else goes wrong it should be a nice saw.

Those little saws mod great. The one I did was the strongest 40cc saw, sub 9 1/2 lb saw I've ever built. I'd love to get my hands on a GZ4500 someday. Nice work!
Thanks! I remember that thread, I just re-read it the other day. I have three of them now and I really like them. And I'd love to run a GZ4500 too.

IIRC the only difference in the engine between the 4500 and the 4000 is the piston, cylinder and ring. I looked into getting the parts to upgrade mine when it ate a rod bearing and I think it was like $110. But then if you want to convert it to 0.325" you need the sprocket and pump gear, and that adds quite a bit.

The 40cc units are much more common and parts are a lot less and more available.

Well I ordered a new fuel cap, but it may be a while until it ships. In the mean time I found some scrap neoprene sheeting of the right thickness at work and cut a new gasket for the old cap. Now I just have to wait for the weekend to see if I can try it out. The weather will not be helpful. Maybe I should pull the top cover and set it up for carb heat.

Well I ordered a new fuel cap, but it may be a while until it ships. In the mean time I found some scrap neoprene sheeting of the right thickness at work and cut a new gasket for the old cap. Now I just have to wait for the weekend to see if I can try it out. The weather will not be helpful. Maybe I should pull the top cover and set it up for carb heat.

Can you cancel the order? Do you have any idea how many of those "parts saws" I have? I can get one in the mail on Monday. Shoot me a PM if want it.

Come to think of it, I might just send you a few more "extra parts" so you'll be forced to build yet another one ... :eek: That's just the kind of guy I am.

dd

Can you cancel the order? Do you have any idea how many of those "parts saws" I have? I can get one in the mail on Monday. Shoot me a PM if want it.

Come to think of it, I might just send you a few more "extra parts" so you'll be forced to build yet another one ... :eek: That's just the kind of guy I am.

dd
It's OK - the one I fixed is actually working great. I also got a couple of the oil pump lower hoses, as they are better than the ones on other similar saws, and it was like $10 with shipping. The rubber degrades over time if exposed to certain fuels.

I really appreciate the parts - it all cleaned up really well. I assume you got the starter? I was looking at that orange McCulloch in the shop tonight, and I still can't believe JF made that saw with the strato ports blocked off. I started thinking about ways to modify it and then had to kick myself!

It's OK - the one I fixed is actually working great. I also got a couple of the oil pump lower hoses, as they are better than the ones on other similar saws, and it was like $10 with shipping. The rubber degrades over time if exposed to certain fuels.

I really appreciate the parts - it all cleaned up really well. I assume you got the starter? I was looking at that orange McCulloch in the shop tonight, and I still can't believe JF made that saw with the strato ports blocked off. I started thinking about ways to modify it and then had to kick myself!

Nobody likes a quitter.

That line-up needs an orange saw.

I have the stuff to make it strato... :buttkick:

Nobody likes a quitter.

That line-up needs an orange saw.

I have the stuff to make it strato... :buttkick:
Nooooo... LOL. I do too, but the air valves won't fit to the case. It probably runs fine the way it is, but how could I run it knowing those strato ports are in there and blocked off?! That would just be wrong! Then I wondered why they didn't feed the strato inlets with fuel mix from the carb? That would be easy.

Nooooo... LOL. I do too, but the air valves won't fit to the case. It probably runs fine the way it is, but how could I run it knowing those strato ports are in there and blocked off?! That would just be wrong! Then I wondered why they didn't feed the strato inlets with fuel mix from the carb? That would be easy.

Ah....

A few more parts from an old Ryobi might fix that little issue. Then we need to figure out how to convert it to .325. Next comes fuel injection, then 4 wheel drive, and we'll need an electric start. I'll get some parts boxed up right away.

Back