Sap oozing from tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazeDog

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a tree in the front of my house that about a week or two ago started oozing sap from the trunk about 1-2 feet off the ground. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is or I would search for that.

I've uploaded some pics. I can take a small branch off and put it on a white background if these pics aren't good enough.

So. What do I look for to determine if this is from an insect or other issue. Should I remove the sap and see what is under it? Do I look for a hole from an insect or a crack? Not really sure what to start with.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5296.JPG
    IMG_5296.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5297.JPG
    IMG_5297.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5300.JPG
    IMG_5300.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5301.JPG
    IMG_5301.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5302.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5303.JPG
    IMG_5303.JPG
    925.9 KB · Views: 11
It's a cherry, although I can't tell whether it's a grafted Japanese flowering cherry or a native. The whole tree pics don't look like the trunk in the first pic.

This is resinosis (or gummosis) and can be caused by environmental stress, mechanical injury or by a canker. You would need to determine the cause before you can come up with a solution.

Yeah BC hit it on the head but I'll add lepidopterous borers and girdling roots as potential causes to the mix. A complex, or combination, of factors is also quite likely. Not a good thing so have a pro look at it.

Back