Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Sap oozing from tree

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by BlazeDog, Oct 11, 2017.

1. BlazeDog

BlazeDog New Member

Hello,

I have a tree in the front of my house that about a week or two ago started oozing sap from the trunk about 1-2 feet off the ground. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is or I would search for that.

I've uploaded some pics. I can take a small branch off and put it on a white background if these pics aren't good enough.

So. What do I look for to determine if this is from an insect or other issue. Should I remove the sap and see what is under it? Do I look for a hole from an insect or a crack? Not really sure what to start with.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast Addicted to ArboristSite

It's a cherry, although I can't tell whether it's a grafted Japanese flowering cherry or a native. The whole tree pics don't look like the trunk in the first pic.

This is resinosis (or gummosis) and can be caused by environmental stress, mechanical injury or by a canker. You would need to determine the cause before you can come up with a solution.

3. JeffGu

JeffGu Antagonist/Heckler

Look for bullet holes.... :innocent:

Jason Douglas likes this.
  4. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Operative

Yeah BC hit it on the head but I'll add lepidopterous borers and girdling roots as potential causes to the mix. A complex, or combination, of factors is also quite likely. Not a good thing so have a pro look at it.

Oldmaple and JeffGu like this.