Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im pretty fond of my 441 :chainsaw:

A great big YES to that. First time I fired it up I entered a whole new world.

MS241 is on my shopping list now after reading this thread. My MS361 has been giving me starting problems for the past 2 years, time to replace it.

My next purchase is a 880 with a large 46 inch bar and chain for limbing branches :chainsaw:(overkill I know but why not ) and a ported 241 but porting is unheard of around here i might have to get one shipped over from the states
hey @Cowboy254 does it all the time on those little limbs down under.:rolleyes:

My next purchase is a 880 with a large 46 inch bar and chain for limbing branches :chainsaw:(overkill I know but why not ) and a ported 241 but porting is unheard of around here i might have to get one shipped over from the states

hey @Cowboy254 does it all the time on those little limbs down under.:rolleyes:

FS is correct. You need a big saw for all that little stuff. This was one of my very first posts on AS:

So, I was looking for something to trim a few hedges and maybe do some limbing. Eventually, I made a purchase. Do you think this will be enough for the task?

View attachment 530777

right, the wood demand has just jumped. I got the hearth laid yesterday, stove lifted in, connected up and draw tested today. We are ready for a burn tomorrow to cure the paint :)
stove2.jpg

Must be some odd smudge on the camera phone lens...I had to go check but the wall is not actually filthy! Would have been peeved it was, I only painted it recently! Actually....no the skirting boards are clean too....ooo err...must have been some weird shadowing thing. Trust me, the house really isn't filthy!

This is stove #2 and has been totally refurbished by me. Its a Franco Belge Belfort, that's another little 5Kw stove from a French maker. Oldish design but reputation for being built like the proverbial brick ****house. Good job really as this one was in a state when I got it but thankfully the castings were all fine. Got on Ebay for ...errr about £75 iirc, a year ago now. It had been run on coal and very VERY hard, I'm guessing they'ed used bituminous coal and over cooked the stove on a regular basis. Baffle was destroyed, top plate heat shield destroyed, grate destroyed, refractory bricks ....yep...destroyed, paint work turned white, door catch worn out and rope seals...what rope seals! So I bought a new grate and baffle, had to fabricate a new stainless steel top heat shield as I couldn't get a replacement, had the top plate casting off to re-rope and seal, made new bricks from vermiculite board, machined up a new door catch and fitted new rope seals, made my own ash pan handle and riddling grate wiggling tool (original had been lost), wire brushed the old paint off, cleaned with meths and with cellulose thinners, then resprayed with several coats of stovebright paint. Its good as new now and including my fuel when i collected it I've just under £200 into it, which isn't bad, they are £650 new and I could sell it for a small profit in this condition. I also know this stove very well, its the same model my parents have had for 20 years this winter.

Good job I've got about 25m3 of wood in (I burnt about 6.5m3 last winter)

right, the wood demand has just jumped. I got the hearth laid yesterday, stove lifted in, connected up and draw tested today. We are ready for a burn tomorrow to cure the paint :)
View attachment 614212

Must be some odd smudge on the camera phone lens...I had to go check but the wall is not actually filthy! Would have been peeved it was, I only painted it recently! Actually....no the skirting boards are clean too....ooo err...must have been some weird shadowing thing. Trust me, the house really isn't filthy!

This is stove #2 and has been totally refurbished by me. Its a Franco Belge Belfort, that's another little 5Kw stove from a French maker. Oldish design but reputation for being built like the proverbial brick ****house. Good job really as this one was in a state when I got it but thankfully the castings were all fine. Got on Ebay for ...errr about £75 iirc, a year ago now. It had been run on coal and very VERY hard, I'm guessing they'ed used bituminous coal and over cooked the stove on a regular basis. Baffle was destroyed, top plate heat shield destroyed, grate destroyed, refractory bricks ....yep...destroyed, paint work turned white, door catch worn out and rope seals...what rope seals! So I bought a new grate and baffle, had to fabricate a new stainless steel top heat shield as I couldn't get a replacement, had the top plate casting off to re-rope and seal, made new bricks from vermiculite board, machined up a new door catch and fitted new rope seals, made my own ash pan handle and riddling grate wiggling tool (original had been lost), wire brushed the old paint off, cleaned with meths and with cellulose thinners, then resprayed with several coats of stovebright paint. Its good as new now and including my fuel when i collected it I've just under £200 into it, which isn't bad, they are £650 new and I could sell it for a small profit in this condition. I also know this stove very well, its the same model my parents have had for 20 years this winter.

nice job Neil. :numberone: that should take the damp out of your London fog with your scrounged wood. :rock2:

View attachment 614212

really nice job neil looks good on another note hows your 038 going since you repaired it

really nice job neil looks good on another note hows your 038 going since you repaired it

seems to be running okay thanks for asking. Still with my brother... he borrowed it to buck and noodle a cherry he felled in his garden, 3 stems and the stump was about 2'6" I think he said....bit much for his ms180, although he dropped it with that! I need it back to buck some larger stuff I have and to noodle up the very last few bits of the troublesome Ash i got a year ago. After that I may pull it apart and do a few jobs too it. I've got a ms660 as a box of bits to build up too, if I find a moment! When I get the 660 built I may then take the 038 apart a bit more...may go back to the plug port and try and get a much better repair done with a timecert, but while its running and I need it i'm using it as is.

My MS361 has been giving me starting problems for the past 2 years, time to replace it.

Have you tuned it up??? New fuel filter, air filter and plug is where to start. Then, rebuild or replace the carb and some rubber parts (impulse line & boot).

As long as compression is still good, no reason to ditch a good saw for little problems!

Not Matt, sorry, don't have any recommendations.

Back