Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Had some issue getting selling green. Everyone here in the burbs wants " ready to burn now"....learning the market. Have another cord, cord and half of seasoned maple rounds to pick up for free after I'm done with the oak.

Have you got Black locust in your area? It requires minimal seasoning and my grandmother has always said you can burn it "green from the tree", albeit I've never tried that. Not my first choice for fireplaces, but it's great for stoves and often it's so damn invasive there's always somebody wanting to get rid of a few trees they let grow "to see how they would turn up".

Happy Thanksgiving fellas. Enjoy your family's. Down here I have three country boys nephews. They all have been sending pictures of the bear to all their pals. Showing that us northerners hunt too. Fun hearing the conversations. The one pal is a great kid. He has a beautiful river that runs through his back yard, we go there trout fishing during the summer and his family will have BBQ's. Super great kid, nice family.

Have you got Black locust in your area? It requires minimal seasoning and my grandmother has always said you can burn it "green from the tree", albeit I've never tried that. Not my first choice for fireplaces, but it's great for stoves and often it's so damn invasive there's always somebody wanting to get rid of a few trees they let grow "to see how they would turn up".
I wish there where people that just wanted to get rid of black locust trees around here.

Happy Thanksgiving fellas. Enjoy your family's. Down here I have three country boys nephews. They all have been sending pictures of the bear to all their pals. Showing that us northerners hunt too. Fun hearing the conversations. The one pal is a great kid. He has a beautiful river that runs through his back yard, we go there trout fishing during the summer and his family will have BBQ's. Super great kid, nice family.
Last time I saw bears in the wild was in Western Marylands New Germany state park. It was a pare of cubs I backed down the trail and thankfully never saw momma. Seen some good size bears out there but never felt in any danger till the 2 cubs and not knowing where momma was.

I had it to 3 different dealers. Main problem is it being extremely hard to pull. Only way I can start it is on a solid surface with my shoe holding it down. If I can manage to pull it 3-4 times in the morning it is a one pull starter the rest of the day and I don't need to hold it down. I had it out last Sunday. Couldn't pull it. Ground was too soft and my boot only gets a bit of the toe in the handle loop.

That 361 is one sweet running/cutting sumabaitch....when started.

Of course age can't possibly have anything to do with it (82):innocent:

The solution is simple!!!

A saw's compression DOES NOT increase with age.

A 60 cc saw should not be hard to pull over.

An old carb may leak a bit, causing hydro lock, making the saw near impossible to start.

Don't confuse dealers with rocket scientists, there is a reason these sites are so popular. The dealer's main objective is to sell you a new saw.

Change or rebuild your carb, and give it a tune up if you have not already. Or, if you want to sell your saw cheap, just let me know.

Your fuel system is pressurized (as it should be). When you shut your saw down, fuel is leaking into the crank case. This results in hydro lock, making it very difficult to start. The leaking carb is your problem, nothing else makes sense. It is an easy fix.

If you need help with how to do it, just say so.

Rebuild kits for your carb are $7 and brand new carbs (shipped) are $15-$20 on the Bay.

How can you not do that on a saw that you like???

Also, when did you last change fuel filter, air filter & plug? They are not supposed to last forever, but that saw you have should last about forever for you.

the black locust here requires a good year and a half to season as it is such a dense wood.

The solution is simple!!!

A saw's compression DOES NOT increase with age.

A 60 cc saw should not be hard to pull over.

An old carb may leak a bit, causing hydro lock, making the saw near impossible to start.

Don't confuse dealers with rocket scientists, there is a reason these sites are so popular. The dealer's main objective is to sell you a new saw.

Change or rebuild your carb, and give it a tune up if you have not already. Or, if you want to sell your saw cheap, just let me know.

Your fuel system is pressurized (as it should be). When you shut your saw down, fuel is leaking into the crank case. This results in hydro lock, making it very difficult to start. The leaking carb is your problem, nothing else makes sense. It is an easy fix.

If you need help with how to do it, just say so.
forget it Mike. 12 saws won't fit in the mustang.:laughing:

Have been up to the hunting camp in WV since Friday. Had dinner and stayed at my friends beautiful log house Friday night. Got to my place about 730 Saturday morning. Pulling up my drive, there was a big spike, 13-15 inches long and a nice 6 pointer at the corner of the field. Pulled up to the trailer and started cleaning and getting set up. Looked out the storm door about 9, and there were four deer in the field that looked like all doe. Grabbed the binocs and started watching them. The biggest one laid its ears back like an old horse, and took off after the others. When it got to the first one it reared up and started fighting with the other one. Then I could see it had two big stubs where both sides of its rack had broken off. The one he was attacking turned and it was a small 4 pointer. he drove it off and started after the other two. The littlest on took off so I didn't see what was between his ears. The last one turned out to be a small spike. So, from 730 to 9 I had 5 bucks in the front yard. Sunday saw nothing. Monday at 650 I had a little doe come out to my stand and look up at me. She stomped her feet a couple times and started blowing at me, so I shood her off. At 930 a nicer doe tried to sneak by in the pines behind me. Since I had a doe tag I decided I better put some meat in the freezer before I get picky, Joe.
MfnE2nU.jpg

If you look to the right of my safety line, there is a tree with a "Y" in it. I had to shoot between the "Y", 91 paces, back into the Pines. It's so thick back in the Pines, that I saw her walk into them about 100 yards down hill. Then I moved my scope up hill till I got the only open spot and hoped she would walk into it. Took a few minutes, when she got to the opening she stopped and looked at me. All I could see was her head and part of her neck. Put the 250 just below her chin, and she dropped when I pulled the trigger.
gL4ovp9.jpg

you must be part Canadian. haulin wood in a minivan!!!! :surprised3:

I am a teacher by profession and do a little firewood on the side. I'm Looking for a truck that can haul wood , get the kids to/from school and me to work, yet I want something that won't kill me on gas but not have an anemic 4cyl engine.....

C/L is your friend. you can find some good wood sometimes but have to know what your getting into.

C/L, Facebook, Let Go, all good sources.I don't own land and have ALWAYS picked up free wood this way.

Yes! Black locust is in the area however I've yet to stumble onto some...

Have been up to the hunting camp in WV since Friday. Had dinner and stayed at my friends beautiful log house Friday night. Got to my place about 730 Saturday morning. Pulling up my drive, there was a big spike, 13-15 inches long and a nice 6 pointer at the corner of the field. Pulled up to the trailer and started cleaning and getting set up. Looked out the storm door about 9, and there were four deer in the field that looked like all doe. Grabbed the binocs and started watching them. The biggest one laid its ears back like an old horse, and took off after the others. When it got to the first one it reared up and started fighting with the other one. Then I could see it had two big stubs where both sides of its rack had broken off. The one he was attacking turned and it was a small 4 pointer. he drove it off and started after the other two. The littlest on took off so I didn't see what was between his ears. The last one turned out to be a small spike. So, from 730 to 9 I had 5 bucks in the front yard. Sunday saw nothing. Monday at 650 I had a little doe come out to my stand and look up at me. She stomped her feet a couple times and started blowing at me, so I shood her off. At 930 a nicer doe tried to sneak by in the pines behind me. Since I had a doe tag I decided I better put some meat in the freezer before I get picky, Joe.
MfnE2nU.jpg

If you look to the right of my safety line, there is a tree with a "Y" in it. I had to shoot between the "Y", 91 paces, back into the Pines. It's so thick back in the Pines, that I saw her walk into them about 100 yards down hill. Then I moved my scope up hill till I got the only open spot and hoped she would walk into it. Took a few minutes, when she got to the opening she stopped and looked at me. All I could see was her head and part of her neck. Put the 250 just below her chin, and she dropped when I pulled the trigger.
gL4ovp9.jpg
Nice deer and fantastic views!

I have a NC tag that I'm hoping to sneak up and fill before the season ends.

Just been to the scrounge pile. Thought I'd get a photo of the pile but it was too dark. Loaded the car up very full with Oak. I'd been told it was 'just a small oak to take down' hmm, back up to the pile and get out to see a load of 22" rounds :) all bucked to stove length and look like straight grain easy splitting. So I loaded the car to the gunnels ...tried another photo...to dark :( It was loaded though, most I've ever loaded it and probably about 1 round 2 many. Coming over a speed hump on the way home I heard the back ground, just the mud flaps I think on inspection, then again on reversing up the driveway despite taking it at an angle to help. No damage though. Just having some toast and a cuppa, then after unloading I'm off for a second load. This one will be smaller....there's not so much oak left!

Joe, is that a savage 99?? Beautiful gun! On my wish list. Just .300 savage. But looking at your pic I'd say 250 worked just as well
Yes Matt, I have 10 of them. Among the Savage guys if you take one animal with each of Savages proprietary cartridges, it's called the Savage Slam. I'm trying for it in one year. Lots of guys live in states where you can only take one deer. But, between WV and MD, I can take a bunch. The Slam is one with, in order of design, the 303 Savage, the 22 Savage HiPower, the 250-3000 Savage, and the 300 Savage. The 250 above was made in 1950. Tonight when I head back to camp, I'm taking the 300 that was made in 51 and the 22 HiPower made in 1912. The Hipower is wearing an original Malcolm scope made in 1912. I have a letter from the Savage Historian stating my rifle was originally sold to the Malcolm Telescope Co. The barrel is 20 inches long and the scope is 18. If I get a deer with it I'll post pics, Joe.

Back