Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two ways to check if the call I made on the 361 is correct:

1) When it does not start, pull the plug and see if it is wet.

2) Before trying to start it, pull the plug, lower the piston to BDC, rotate the saw 180 degrees (to let fuel run through the transfers), and see if any fuel comes out of the plug hole.

What do daisies and dandelions grow to? 10 foot tall and dense as spruce I s'pose? ;)
I can say from experience that dandelions do not. I have more of those than anybody in my neighborhood. You would think I had a farm for them. And grubs. In the fall the skunks make interesting artwork out of my yard digging up grubs. All the skunks in the hood party at my house at night.

When I was starting my Homelite Super 1050, 100cc's, no release, with 36" bar, I'd lock the trigger wide open, put my foot in the trigger handle, hold onto the wrap handle with my left hand, close my eyes, grit my teeth and pull with my right hand. If it popped back and ripped a couple fingers off, I'd cry for a few minutes, and try again, Joe.

That's sthe approach I am taking. Fortunately at least the 361 doesn't try to rip my fingers off :)

Any merit to pulling the plug just before the next cold start and checking how wet things are in there?

I was thinking about doing that very thing tomorrow. Going back out to clear another broken down, rotten tree. I can see then end of that job clear cutting a willow grove. Should finish in another couple of years....if I can keep starting saws :confused:

Two ways to check if the call I made on the 361 is correct:

1) When it does not start, pull the plug and see if it is wet.

2) Before trying to start it, pull the plug, lower the piston to BDC, rotate the saw 180 degrees (to let fuel run through the transfers), and see if any fuel comes out of the plug hole.

Good point. I was going to pull the plug tomorrow but hadn't thought of that.

Turnkey
Try a piece of 1x4 about 2 foot long. put saw on ground slip the 1x4 though the handle and stand on the 1x4 . Works for me, my boots do not fit through the handle at all.
Good luck

Now WTH didn't I think of that?!!. I have thought of all sorts of things including mounting some sort of clamp on the tailgate. Great. 1x4 goes in the rig in the morning.

@Cowboy254 Still can't believe bro felled a 3 stem, 2'6" ish cherry with an ms180, then borrowed my super to block up the bits. Is that proof that the 180 really IS a proper 'saw?

You know it's a proper saw because it says "Stihl" on it :rock:.

What do daisies and dandelions grow to? 10 foot tall and dense as spruce I s'pose? ;)

Yeah, can't beat dandelion wood!

I love the 590 it has done everything I have needed and more. I am by far not a brand snob I've run my buddies ms290 and some poulans but for the price you really can not beat the echo.
I ran a 359 and a few of Steve's 036s and stock for stock they all run about the same. From what I was told my saw ran pretty well at the cant races. Del did some basic port work and tightened the squish to .020 and its a different saw now.

Attachments

• IMG_20171107_190326.jpg
    IMG_20171107_190326.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I had to stand horizontally to see it properly but your woodpile has come a long way! :chop:
Yes sir. And it keeps growing my wife says I have a problem I agree with her about the problem idea but ultimately we are thinking of different problems she thinks I have a firewood addiction and I think I don't have enough wood lol
628aadbd34649c9f060898a9f7a662d3.jpg

My problem is soved thanks to Hunter 72. That simple 1x4 turned the 361 back into my favorite saw. Turned out my problem was my inability to hold the saw steady enough, any give and I couldn't pull it over that last compression. Two tries today, oncw with it warmed by the stove, once in the field after sitting for 2 hours in the cold.

Still has a few problems and all the suggestions seems to lead to carb problems. That also makes sense as last spring I had to get the dealer to remove the limiter caps (my eyesight doesn't permit fooling around with small parts :(. I was gottomed out on the high setting but still running rich. I'll see what he bids to replace the carb.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to help.

My problem is soved thanks to Hunter 72. That simple 1x4 turned the 361 back into my favorite saw. Turned out my problem was my inability to hold the saw steady enough, any give and I couldn't pull it over that last compression. Two tries today, oncw with it warmed by the stove, once in the field after sitting for 2 hours in the cold.

Still has a few problems and all the suggestions seems to lead to carb problems. That also makes sense as last spring I had to get the dealer to remove the limiter caps (my eyesight doesn't permit fooling around with small parts :(. I was gottomed out on the high setting but still running rich. I'll see what he bids to replace the carb.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to help.

Excellent news! You'll be cutting wood for another 20 years now.

View attachment 614551

That, all Oak, is two of these full

View attachment 614552

That, is a turbo charged, non wheezy, 220PS, 4 cylinder.

Very nice, Neil (the Skoda too)

Yes sir. And it keeps growing my wife says I have a problem I agree with her about the problem idea but ultimately we are thinking of different problems she thinks I have a firewood addiction and I think I don't have enough wood lol
628aadbd34649c9f060898a9f7a662d3.jpg

We used to have that issue in my household as well but Cowgirl gave up in the end. Actually, it had more to do with the kids being of an age where if I went scrounging she had to look after them both. Once they were old enough for me to use the words "I'm going scrounging and I'm taking the kids", all resistance evaporated. When I could scrounge on the Lady Farm there were lots of interesting things for them to find and play with like cattle bones, tiger snakes and the like. Now the kids are old enough to leave them at home on their own if needs be and I can get my scrounge on whenever I like.

I'm still catching up you guys have been busy. The electric heat pump decided to check out yesterday morning and I can't get warranty service until Monday. I let my hvac guys squirm and apologize that he couldn't get out for a bit before I told him it was no big deal. I use the wood stove as primary heat anyways. Well suffice to say I got carried away today and the house is nearly 80 degrees and I'm sitting arou d in a t shirt and shorts with the doors open...

It's not wood related but I did score a great deal on some vortex binos this morning online. Couldn't beat the price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back