Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot, you get the Octavia out there too don't you. It's no Holden or Mustang, but it does take wood like a Subaru and get it home in a hurry.

Lol re scrounging with the kids, I'm sure they loved it though playing with snakes, spiders scorpions and drop bears might have upset cowgirl again.

They have to build up a resistance to the venom. Might as well start early.

I wish there where people that just wanted to get rid of black locust trees around here.

Just wait. Nurseries have started promoting some Black locust cultivars as "fast growing, smog resistant ornamental trees" without bothering to say how invasive they are. It's the same as with English ivy and several Clematis species: nice on paper but wait until they naturally hybridize and get out of control.

the black locust here requires a good year and a half to season as it is such a dense wood.

Then we found something the rotten weather here is good for apart from shortening my lifespan. :laugh:
I am presently burning locust I cut down and split in February. It's so damn dry I can even burn it in the fireplace no problem. Well, apart from the fact locust is not exactly a great choice fore fireplaces... :crazy:

No, no, it's quite ok, she's not making me do any noodle or orchard related work! That's her project, and it was my suggestion to raid the noodle pile at 'my' scrounge tree. But there's also method in my madness (yes, really). Fire restriction season starts on Monday and with that there are certain restrictions/requirements on machinery use (chainsaws, mowers, slashers etc) in dry areas. Farmers start bushfires fairly regularly with slashers and despite all the deadly snakes, spiders, scorpions and drop bears, bushfire is the only thing around here that I really fear. Anyway, things are still pretty green around here and I can still cut without restriction providing it's not dry in the area and now that Cowgirl has removed all the drying noodles I can carry on safe from interference. It's not actually the authorities who would go out of their way to pull me up but some whiny busybody complaining to them that could make my life more difficult.

No that's a different thing: the good ones are either taken or die young.

Nice looking wood, and welcome to the site, but I highly recommend boots, eyes & ears, you will thank me in the long run. Sooner or later, a round will end up on your foot, and sneaks provide no protection!
Thank you Mustang..... yeah, that is my brother operating that saw. I literally told him the exact same thing.... eye, ear, gloves, boots etc... thanks for looking out though!

Thank you Mustang..... yeah, that is my brother operating that saw. I literally told him the exact same thing.... eye, ear, gloves, boots etc... thanks for looking out though!
We scrougers are pro ppe (especially the ones who have hit themselves with axes!) welcome to the thread.

I have shot at a high power shoot at 600 yds with a stock Mini 14 with factory ammo (and it was over water, which moves lighter bullets more). It was a learning experience, and I did put the final 17 rounds on the paper, which shocked many of the more experienced shooters. Suffice to say, my equipment was not ideal for the circumstances, but I used what I had.

Have also attempted several long range shots at woodchucks with the 220 swift. Usually just ended up smoking the hole, but in fairness to me, we had to guess the distance, no range finders back then! At those distances, the wind and even an unseen blade or two of grass can make a difference.

You learn fast that the "surer" shots are not so far away.

For a number of years when I was in school we used to drive out to northwestern South Dakota to shoot prairie dogs for a weekend in May. We just used .223's because the ammo was so cheap and it wouldn't heat up a barrel as quickly like a hotter round. It did a good job honing your skills but on those little critters even a 200 yard shot was a long one.

I've read about guys hitting stuff at 1000 plus yards with the old sharps style rifles and straight cartridges. More power too them for developing the skill to compensate for a rainbow like trajectory and also wind and heat waves.

With hunting cartridges and rifles, one has to take into account the inherent inaccuracy increases exponentially as range increases. So unless a rifle drives tacks at 100 yards, hitting something at 400 yards will take several inches of holdover, accounting for wind, and a lot of luck too!

Before I started shooting on my own land we used to shoot at the city rifle and pistol club's property which was originally mining company property deeded to the club. They had a 100 yard range and a 300 yard range. We thought we were pretty good shots at 100 yards and were humbled pretty quickly when we went over to the long range.

After I understood things better and handloaded on my own, I could get most rifles to group around or under 1.5" at 100 yards. Some started out at 4-5" groups and you could often keep testing different bullet/powder/charge combinations to get acceptable accuracy. Sometimes they wouldn't improve and that gun got traded in. I'm sure with additional gunsmithing they could have been improved but I wasn't that concerned.

The two most accurate rifles I ever shot were a Remington Sendero and a Browning A bolt both in .300 win mag. Which was ironic as magnum cartridges *shouldn't* be as accurate as standard cartridges.

One of my favorite rifles from the pre-kid era was a Ruger #3 in 30-40 Krag. For those unfamiliar with that model, it's a discontinued carbine version of the #1 single shot. It had some trigger work prior to my owning it and was super accurate in spite of the short barrel. But the darn tang safety kept flipping to fire position when I'd carry it in a sling so I wasn't interested in owning it after that.

Nice looking wood, and welcome to the site, but I highly recommend boots, eyes & ears, you will thank me in the long run. Sooner or later, a round will end up on your foot, and sneaks provide no protection!
I normally have steel toes and 2 pairs of pants on and still end up with bruised shins. I have thought several times about going to a sporting goods store and getting soccer shin guards

Yep there is way more to it than that. Just a bit jealous you have that kind of space to shoot. To be honest I probably would miss one or 10 things and miss. Farthest I ever shot was 500 yards with an 30-06 with a crappy scope and guesstimating hold over. It was a great way to waste ammo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
730yds is where I warm up. The property is 1,600yds long. Until last year I didn't have enough power to get out there. I was limited to just over 1K on good days.

I normally have steel toes and 2 pairs of pants on and still end up with bruised shins. I have thought several times about going to a sporting goods store and getting soccer shin guards
after my x17 to shin interface i've taken to wearing mountain biking shin/knee pads. i use thrm doing diy around the house that involves kneeling too.

Correct, the rig/system you were shooting.
In the pics I had a 1976Rem700 in standard .243(not Ackley). Bedded with JBWeld, Leupold Mark IV, cut down to 16.5", Homemade registered supressor on an ATF Form 1. Factory action/barrel (9.125 twist), Jewell trigger. Berger 87gr VLD's over 38gr of 4064 (I think) in Nosler brass with 210 primers. Less than 10fps spread, avg MV of 2990fps. Elevation of range about 900ft MSL. Most of the time shooting in the winter, sometimes 10F, so DA is normally not on my side.

I have since moved the Mark IV to my Savage Model 112 Magnum Target in 338LM, and put a SWFA 10x on the 243. My 17HMR has a SWFA 6x. The SWFA's are good stuff. I don't have the 338 tuned in yet but when I do, 1,600yds here we go. I've hit a couple times at 1,350yds but the load isn't consistent enough to do that repeatedly.

Surely no more confused than I am from jumping from eating bears to loading cords of wood in a minivan to talking rifles.
Thankfully, I didn't take any photos of my fish scrounging yesterday or the confusion may be compounded.

Missed the sunrise bite by helping to dig unfortunate punters out of the sand after they unsuccessfully tried to channel Dancan with a beach launch of their wee aluminium 'tinny' but got their minivan stuck (pro-tip: when the wheels start spinning on soft sand, stop digging your wheels in to the point you've bottomed out, resting on the chassis). I estimated he had about an hour left before the tide was going to swallow his van but at least his boat would then self launch. But with the help of a nearby resident with a tractor, we got him out. Although I have to say my impression of the great many people launching at the nearby boat ramp hasn't improved at all. They all have to drive by the beach launching spot on their way to the $5 a pop purpose-built launching ramp/pontoon/jetty just 150m further down the road. I noticed too many of them shake their heads at us as they drove by with their big boys toys and not one of them came back to help, the bastards, even though many of them were towing their boats with 4WDs or tractors.

Only managed half a dozen Kahawhai, the biggest of which jumped a number of times, putting on a good show just as the unlucky trio of beach-diggers I helped earlier finally got their act together and motored out passed me. So, I gestured them over and gave'm the fish as livebait (a bit too big for that but at least they had fresh bait) and they were finally on their way. I hope they caught something good after all their hassles to start the day. And I hope all the miserable bastards who noticed us digging but never bothered to offer to help caught sunstroke and SFA else.

Always wear steel toes with tall leather pull on boots. Hope to spring for a pair of chainsa boots one day. I don’t use chaps but do use safety glasses and earplugs. Hard hat while felling.
As for rifles, I had a 30-30 model 94 Winchester which would put 3 in a silver dollar at 100. After 3 the shots would start to “string” upward from barrel heat. I always got a chuckle out of that gun I bought from Walmart. They aren’t known to be tack drivers but that one shot well. For longer ranges, a Savage 110 in 25-06 fit the bill. Sighted 2” high at a hundred, it was on out to 350 where it was 2” low. I really never shot at anything past 300 while hunting so there wasn’t anything to think about, just point and shoot. That gun is a favorite and with a little practice, I could bust milk jugs out at 450 pretty reliably. Distance shooting is fun but for hunting, I prefer up close and personal. Shooting off a rest and offhand while wearing hunting gear after walking through the woods is two different things. Especially if you factor in a little excitement.
Still have no need for a fire after my thermostat debacle. 74 in here so I’m good for tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Nephew is off work for 6 weeks after dropping a large house frame on his toes. Guy who was helping him stand the frame couldn't cope with the weight and dropped it without warning. Was too much for nephew. He was wearing his standard building footwear - running shoes :omg:

I doubt six weeks unpaid, multiple munted toes, and a possible workplace safety investigation is going to teach him any lessons

For longer ranges, a Savage 110 in 25-06. That gun is a favorite and with a little practice, I could bust milk jugs out at 450 pretty reliably.

450?! My little 243 will bust milkjugs at 650 all day. The 25.06 is potent way past 450. A good handload with a good target bullet and that gun would be a 1K gun.

Ouch!

I always wear steel toe cap Doc Martin ankle boots to split (plus thin leather gloves and safety specs). I wear full Oregon chainsaw boots, chainsaw trousers, chainsaw gloves, foresters hard hat with face guard and ear muffs to cut, even though I only buck and never fell. Saws scare me, I concentrate and want all possible protection in case something nasty happens. I reckon as an occasional user with so far only about 26-27 months experience, I'm at high risk. Trying to stay aware of where I am, where the saw is, and how we are moving is probably the most important thing.. CONCENTRATE.

Latest posts

Back