Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch!

I always wear steel toe cap Doc Martin ankle boots to split (plus thin leather gloves and safety specs). I wear full Oregon chainsaw boots, chainsaw trousers, chainsaw gloves, foresters hard hat with face guard and ear muffs to cut, even though I only buck and never fell. Saws scare me, I concentrate and want all possible protection in case something nasty happens. I reckon as an occasional user with so far only about 26-27 months experience, I'm at high risk. Trying to stay aware of where I am, where the saw is, and how we are moving is probably the most important thing.. CONCENTRATE.

:rock2::rock2::rock2:

Ouch!

I always wear steel toe cap Doc Martin ankle boots to split (plus thin leather gloves and safety specs). I wear full Oregon chainsaw boots, chainsaw trousers, chainsaw gloves, foresters hard hat with face guard and ear muffs to cut, even though I only buck and never fell. Saws scare me, I concentrate and want all possible protection in case something nasty happens. I reckon as an occasional user with so far only about 26-27 months experience, I'm at high risk. Trying to stay aware of where I am, where the saw is, and how we are moving is probably the most important thing.. CONCENTRATE.
Yea. Instead of taking pics of all your spruce like these posers, PAY ATTENTION. :D

For a number of years when I was in school we used to drive out to northwestern South Dakota to shoot prairie dogs for a weekend in May. We just used .223's because the ammo was so cheap and it wouldn't heat up a barrel as quickly like a hotter round. It did a good job honing your skills but on those little critters even a 200 yard shot was a long one.

I've read about guys hitting stuff at 1000 plus yards with the old sharps style rifles and straight cartridges. More power too them for developing the skill to compensate for a rainbow like trajectory and also wind and heat waves.

With hunting cartridges and rifles, one has to take into account the inherent inaccuracy increases exponentially as range increases. So unless a rifle drives tacks at 100 yards, hitting something at 400 yards will take several inches of holdover, accounting for wind, and a lot of luck too!
Any rifle that has a 100 or 200 yard zero will require several inches of adjustment at 400.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

730yds is where I warm up. The property is 1,600yds long. Until last year I didn't have enough power to get out there. I was limited to just over 1K on good days.
Sweet goodness man. I would lying if I wasn't a bit jealous of your space to shoot.

Added an indoor wood rack today.
2845d162e21bb5397e55ca9a22e83086.jpg

Please explain why a magnum cartridge would be any more or less accurate than a standard cartridge?

More everything. More case capacity, more powder burning pushing the bullet out at a higher velocity. Sort of like throwing a ball. You are more accurate when throwing at a moderate speed then when throwing at full power.

Any rifle that has a 100 or 200 yard zero will require several inches of adjustment at 400.

I had a winchester model 70 in 243. rifle was zeroed at 100yrds. @200 it was 2in high, @300, pretty much dead on and at 400 it was 2.5 inch low. anything from 100 to 400 yrds hold dead on and it would be a kill. I missed more crows at 200yrds than I ever did out to 400.

Always keep track of where your body parts are compared to where your chainsaw bar is. Both my brother + my Nephew have cut their boots (but luckily not their feet).

A 300 Win Mag can be very accurate, and many were used in 1,000 yd matches where the big powder base came in handy. However, because the casing has both a belt and a shoulder, there are two areas that have to head space perfectly to achieve max accuracy. With advances in bullet manufacturing, most shooters currently prefer the lower recoil of a smaller caliber (6.5 becoming very popular).

Fire forming brass and shooting it with just a neck sizing will often cut the size of my groups in half compared to factory load or fully sized (or new) brass. I prefer to hunt with once fired neck sized brass. Actually, I generally don't use a neck sizing die. I just loosen the full size die a bit so the base of the neck fits firmly in the chamber. IMO, you will get the best accuracy doing that. (The die only sizes about 7/8 of the neck).

I had a winchester model 70 in 243. rifle was zeroed at 100yrds. @200 it was 2in high, @300, pretty much dead on and at 400 it was 2.5 inch low. anything from 100 to 400 yrds hold dead on and it would be a kill. I missed more crows at 200yrds than I ever did out to 400.

I love the 243. Easy to shoot and still packs impressive power. flat shooting also. Had a rem 700 varmit special with a leopold 6.5-20 scope that with handloads that were just a bit shy of maximum could put 5 shots in 1 inch at 200 yards. All I have now it a savage axis in 243, which shoots very well once you adjust yourself to the stiff trigger.

Always keep track of where your body parts are compared to where your chainsaw bar is. Both my brother + my Nephew have cut their boots (but luckily not their feet).

A 300 Win Mag can be very accurate, and many were used in 1,000 yd matches where the big powder base came in handy. However, because the casing has both a belt and a shoulder, there are two areas that have to head space perfectly to achieve max accuracy. With advances in bullet manufacturing, most shooters currently prefer the lower recoil of a smaller caliber (6.5 becoming very popular).

Fire forming brass and shooting it with just a neck sizing will often cut the size of my groups in half compared to factory load or fully sized (or new) brass. I prefer to hunt with once fired neck sized brass. Actually, I generally don't use a neck sizing die. I just loosen the full size die a bit so the base of the neck fits firmly in the chamber. IMO, you will get the best accuracy doing that. (The die only sizes about 7/8 of the neck).
Mike I enjoy my 300 win for hunting. But for target shooting it gets expensive and the recoil gets old. I have a 7mm-08 and 6.5 creedmor on my list of guns I want.

I too only neck size but I have a dedicated die for that. It works well and is quick and easy.

IMG_2819.JPG I need to get over to your place and we need to put some loads together for my 6.5. I did a ton of shooting while down here visiting. Made friends with a guy that had a nice .260 Rem. he let my daughter shoot it, now she wants a black stocked & bigger scope for her 6.5

450?! My little 243 will bust milkjugs at 650 all day. The 25.06 is potent way past 450. A good handload with a good target bullet and that gun would be a 1K gun.
450 was my limitation not the cartridge. As a deer hunter, it doesn’t really have a lot of knock down power past that so I never sought to shoot further. Turns out that much past 300, I have a hard time counting antler points. Lol. Like I say, I prefer up close and personal. 30 yards with a 30-30 suits me. I like a 243 too, sweet caliber.

Still have no need for a fire after my thermostat debacle. 74 in here so I’m good for tonight. Maybe tomorrow.
Man Jeff, I could have used a bit of that extra heat today.
We got back from the inlaws and it was only 52 in the house. I have the wood stove raging and the pellet stove an almost raging and it's getting there quick.

To stay on topic; I usually go for the long range shots of around 30-40 yards, but have been know to crack a couple off at 40-50, then the real long shots to the front of the red oak/locust pile are around 55. You have to really watch the wind as those 17gr .17cal can really get away from you, also better have a good BDC scope when your really reaching out at the back side of the red oak pile o_O.

I too only neck size but I have a dedicated die for that. It works well and is quick and easy.

That is fine, but my suggestion would be to adjust it so the neck is not fully re sized. Having the base of the neck fire formed may give you a hair more accuracy. There will still be plenty of neck to grip the bullet.

I should have mentioned for those who are not familiar with it, the High Power shoot is open sights, no scope, so 600 yds with a mini 14 is challenging!

I'm pleased to see that most on the site keep their shots at "ethical" distances.
Mike some of mine are so ethical I can't even use the scope, just point and shoot, ever see a chipmunk relocated at 10' with a .17 hmr :eek:.

View attachment 614817 I need to get over to your place and we need to put some loads together for my 6.5. I did a ton of shooting while down here visiting. Made friends with a guy that had a nice .260 Rem. he let my daughter shoot it, now she wants a black stocked & bigger scope for her 6.5

I like the way you 'helped' by giving her a pat on the back just as she's about to pull the trigger!

Only managed half a dozen Kahawhai, the biggest of which jumped a number of times, putting on a good show

What are they in English? Good on you for helping those guys out, you can be quite helpful sometimes ;)!

Surely no more confused than I am from jumping from eating bears to loading cords of wood in a minivan to talking rifles.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow, I get it now :). She is a good one.

No wood today but I did scrounge up a couple of parents. Haven't seen them in nearly six years after a falling out resulting from their attitude towards and, shall we say, 'conduct' regarding my wife. Long story short, I felt I had to make a choice and chose to stand up for my bride. However, time heals most wounds and after a while I realised that they are getting on a bit (76yo) and if they dropped off the perch unexpectedly without making up I would regret it deeply. So I extended the olive branch a little while ago and they visited today, saw the newish (to us) house, admired the wood shed and my scrounge and got reacquainted with their grandchildren and the Drop Cat. It was a good day.

:)

Back