Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gents, there is no need for a truck to haul Oak, in fact there's no need for a trailer, or even a big blue tractor, a car does the job very well :) Pics to follow tomorrow....it's too dark outside to get them so I've left the vRS loaded up and tucked away in the garage. I'l just say....you know you've done the job well when you clear the speed bumps okay but hear the 'grauuunch!' of rear mud flaps on driveway as you reverse up it...
I've left some on the pile.... I'm trying to resist.....its oak but its the nasty nasty crotchety bits. the rest of the tree hits the pile Friday so I'll resist until then, and fill the CAR (just a car, that's all it is...it might get filled severl times over) with, I hope, nice straight grained trunk....and continue to resist the nasty crotchety bits of limb wood

I know I'll never match Dan dan the minivan man, or seventyninesaws in a mustang mike, but (as cowboy knows) cars are true scrounge vehicles.

this wood is dense. look at the growth rings in pic 2
Maaaate, if you can see the growth rings it ain't dense :)

g1454608025740447760.jpg

Many shops get people who drop saws off, they tear them down and write an estimate, then the people won't spend the money to fix them and they get tossed aside. It's much like the tops of trees that loggers and land owners alike leave to rot in the woods, there is money in them, but they are picking up dollars instead of tripping on dimes.
That makes more sense. And also explains why guys buy whole lots of dead saws in that state.

I'm intrigued by the dark heartwood, what do you think it is? I want to make sure it's worth my time to drive to the other end of Philadelphia to get it. We have so many blowdowns from our last Nor'Easter that there is a lot of scrounging to be done!

Attachments

• IMG_0932.PNG
    IMG_0932.PNG
    704.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0933.PNG
    IMG_0933.PNG
    645.6 KB · Views: 20
Back