Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm putting my hand up for a Husband Of The Year award. Flowers, chocolates, diamonds, even new tyres? Overrated. They need something with a bit of fizz about it and champagne only lasts for one night (albeit a good one if one lets her drink most of it). I think a bit of vibration helps to liven the ladies up a bit too. So what to get for that special someone?

Well, every scrounger understands that what his wife really wants is a new chainsaw. Since Cowgirl hasn't quite got the arms to wield an 880 and also since I already have saws starting with 6 and 4 that she can borrow, I thought I might have a look at the other end of the scale. It might also have been monkeyed with.

15th Mar 2.jpg

I've struck a deal with Cowgirl. She's going to let me use her new saw if I let her use my GoPro to get some footage. Hopefully have some vids up over the weekend.

15th Mar 3.jpg

:)

Well, I'm putting my hand up for a Husband Of The Year award. Flowers, chocolates, diamonds, even new tyres? Overrated. They need something with a bit of fizz about it and champagne only lasts for one night (albeit a good one if one lets her drink most of it). I think a bit of vibration helps to liven the ladies up a bit too. So what to get for that special someone?

Well, every scrounger understands that what his wife really wants is a new chainsaw. Since Cowgirl hasn't quite got the arms to wield an 880 and also since I already have saws starting with 6 and 4 that she can borrow, I thought I might have a look at the other end of the scale. It might also have been monkeyed with.

View attachment 639537

I've struck a deal with Cowgirl. She's going to let me use her new saw if I let her use my GoPro to get some footage. Hopefully have some vids up over the weekend.

View attachment 639538

:)
What a guy. you er i mean she's gonna love it. :laugh:

View attachment 639531 This tree supports one end of some of my racks. It decided to die last year. I' thinking it will become the first victim of my climbing gear as I want to leave the part supporting the rack standing. View attachment 639532 iv been told it' locust by one person and maple by another either way it' firewood.
That looks like black locust to me.

As promised, the scrounge CAR.....looking a bit low at the back (no wonder i dragged the mud flaps up the drive), why is that?
IMG_20180315_110355.jpg

Ahh...Green oak, limb wood, stunningly dry as the sap still isn't rising, but still darn heavy....it is English Oak after all. That's about 1/4 cord.

IMG_20180315_110420.jpg

and for Cowboy, the money shot. I still like my interior trim too much to load quite as high as you do though

IMG_20180315_110316.jpg

More to come Friday ...the trunk hopefully.

When selling new saws and servicing them is your game, selling saws that need a little work may or may not be your game. It might not be conducive to bringing in more profits from sales if other locals are buying and selling in your vicinity.
Totally understand that, I had spaced out dealers when I had made my original post.

When I picked up one of my saws from Spike60 Bob I got a tour of his back shop. Basically every model from the mid 80's to current back there that had come in over the years and the customers chose not to repair. Makes a husky man weak in the knees LOL.

I'm intrigued by the dark heartwood, what do you think it is? I want to make sure it's worth my time to drive to the other end of Philadelphia to get it. We have so many blowdowns from our last Nor'Easter that there is a lot of scrounging to be done!

Thumbnails are small but the dark heartwood looks like elm.

Totally understand that, I had spaced out dealers when I had made my original post.

When I picked up one of my saws from Spike60 Bob I got a tour of his back shop. Basically every model from the mid 80's to current back there that had come in over the years and the customers chose not to repair. Makes a husky man weak in the knees LOL.
I bet.
The bummer is that many dealers won't sell any of that stuff, they'd rather it go in the trash than to have someone fix it and then be selling them and reducing business. Another thing is that there are saws they say are "blown up" to sell a new saw and they don't want those/the word getting out, sad but true :nofunny:.
That looks like black locust to me.
Have you ever cut black locust, it has a very distinct look.
Now I have seen honey locust look much more like that :yes:.
I need to swing by a past customer and see if they have any cash to remove one. I guess I charge to much because they ran out of cash to do the honey locust after I did the pines :surprised3:.

I bet.
The bummer is that many dealers won't sell any of that stuff, they'd rather it go in the trash than to have someone fix it and then be selling them and reducing business. Another thing is that there are saws they say are "blown up" to sell a new saw and they don't want those/the word getting out, sad but true :nofunny:.

Have you ever cut black locust, it has a very distinct look.
Now I have seen honey locust look much more like that :yes:.
I need to swing by a past customer and see if they have any cash to remove one. I guess I charge to much because they ran out of cash to do the honey locust after I did the pines :surprised3:.
Totally agree. I know spike doesn’t do that but some dealers definitely do. That real nice Homelite Super EZ I had went to a dealer in the north Minneapolis metro needing a new bar and they told the owner to junk it and buy a new saw. Very shortsighted business practices but those guys are in a big market and spend a ton on advertising so they keep pushing saws out the door. Their parts department sucks and service department is worse.

1) Agree that bark looks like Dogwood. My mind drifted when you said it was real hard.

2) There are more than one type of Hornbeam (aka Ironwood). The one is aka Blue Beech, and has smooth bark and is not round. The other is round and has shaggy bark, but it does not quite match that Dogwood. (Hop Hornbeam?).

3) The shops around here will not sell me dead saws. They are afraid I will fix em, and they will loose corresponding new saw sales, and they are likely right. The pros around here use em till they die, and like that the saws that I do for them have more power and durability (due to muff mods and removing limiters).

4) Jim's tree is not Black Locust, but I think Honey Locust is likely.

A Super EZ is on my want list. After Dad passed my mom had a big yard sale and I let most if his little saws go. Now, I'd like to have another EZ. I just got the recoil spring for the 150. That was the last little Homelite he bought before we switched to Poulan XXV's for climbing saws. I'd like one of those too.

A Super EZ is on my want list. After Dad passed my mom had a big yard sale and I let most if his little saws go. Now, I'd like to have another EZ. I just got the recoil spring for the 150. That was the last little Homelite he bought before we switched to Poulan XXV's for climbing saws. I'd like one of those too.
My grandpa had a all red SEZ that I let my cousin take when we were cleaning out his stuff after he passed. I had several saws and felt no need at the time for it. I have called and texted him a few times to see if I could buy it off of him if he still has it but he is a bit aloof and does not reply but his brother and my aunt do not hear from him either.
Poulan XXV.... I'd like one of those too.
@chipper1 maybe you can help a fellow AS'er out?

Like this Joe.
I looked at it quickly when loading and I though that looks sweet, not in bad condition either, but I have no idea what's wrong with it.
EZ
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 2.55.44 PM.png
There is only a 25a in the trailer, and I have the red craftsman.
I can find a XXV if you'd like though, I see them, just not my thing, but I can understand you wanting one.
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 2.59.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 3.05.19 PM.png

Totally agree. I know spike doesn’t do that but some dealers definitely do. That real nice Homelite Super EZ I had went to a dealer in the north Minneapolis metro needing a new bar and they told the owner to junk it and buy a new saw. Very shortsighted business practices but those guys are in a big market and spend a ton on advertising so they keep pushing saws out the door. Their parts department sucks and service department is worse.
Unfortunately there are a few dealers who are shady, then there are those who are trying to protect themselves from guys like Mike. I don't fix many so I'm not placing myself in that category lol.

Back