Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Grass Gator with the steel blades but they don’t like metal fence posts either. Nor concrete, rocks or pavement.

If it is not too late to get in the game - the quickest car I ever rode in was a 67 Lemans with a 421. Would pull the front wheels off the ground 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Coolest sounding car was a 63 Impala SS with a 409. Shook all the windows in the house at idle. Quickest bike was a 3 cylinder Kawasaki 2 stroke.

Ron

The 2252 went home today. Uncle decided as long as it runs WFO he didn't care :(. Picked up my next project a freebie bg55. Was told it runs but the throttle sticks wide open. 20180624_000548.jpg it seems landscapers don't take care of anything. My brother and I have picked up a pole saw two bg55s and an echo trimmer from this guy and have zero dollars in any of them to make them work again. I'll be spending some time with the air gun and a toothbrush tomorrow probably have it running fine in less then an hour.

I use the Grass Gator with the steel blades but they don’t like metal fence posts either. Nor concrete, rocks or pavement.

If it is not too late to get in the game - the quickest car I ever rode in was a 67 Lemans with a 421. Would pull the front wheels off the ground 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Coolest sounding car was a 63 Impala SS with a 409. Shook all the windows in the house at idle. Quickest bike was a 3 cylinder Kawasaki 2 stroke.

Ron
My BIL ordered a brand new 62 Catalina 421 Super Duty factory Super Stocker, with the aluminium front end. Had me hooked on Pontiacs for a few years. Then I bought my first Dart GT and it was all over, Mopar or No car.
1962-Pontiac-Catalina1.jpg

I’m a hair to young to have enjoyed the 60’s heyday of horsepower. I grew up with the anemic cars of the 70’s and 80’s subsequently my scrounge vehicle is the fastest thing I’ve ever owned on four wheels. It’s amazing how the technology has changed especially in pickups. No longer the slow, noisy bone jarring uncomfortable rides of the past. I’m partial to my f150 ecoboost but honestly, pick any new truck and you can’t go wrong.
To get back to scrounging, I finally picked up a chain for my junkyard homelite yesterday. I was looking to put a cheap Oregon chain from Tractor Supply on it. However it has 59 drive links and I couldn’t find one so it will be wearing Stihl 63pmc. I hated to put a $30 chain on this saw because between that and the spark plug, now it’s worth more than I can sell it for. Guess I’ll keep this one.

I’m a hair to young to have enjoyed the 60’s heyday of horsepower. I grew up with the anemic cars of the 70’s and 80’s subsequently my scrounge vehicle is the fastest thing I’ve ever owned on four wheels. It’s amazing how the technology has changed especially in pickups. No longer the slow, noisy bone jarring uncomfortable rides of the past. I’m partial to my f150 ecoboost but honestly, pick any new truck and you can’t go wrong.
To get back to scrounging, I finally picked up a chain for my junkyard homelite yesterday. I was looking to put a cheap Oregon chain from Tractor Supply on it. However it has 59 drive links and I couldn’t find one so it will be wearing Stihl 63pmc. I hated to put a $30 chain on this saw because between that and the spark plug, now it’s worth more than I can sell it for. Guess I’ll keep this one.
Couple months ago I picked up 3 small Homelites for under $5 each, and after cleaning, they all ran well. A Super EZ, Super 2, and a 150 Automatic. One of those has a 59 DL chain and Southern States, a Stihl dealer, had a chain for it. I bout had a stroke when they wanted $30+. I bought a new file and knocked the drags down on all of them.

I like that type of head. I removed the plastic blades and replaced them with pieces of bandsaw blades from my big bandsaw. Small bushes and big stalky weeds dont stand a chance. They dont like metal fence post to well tho.

Ron

This head worked pretty well and I have another one somewhere in the garage back home that’s new in box. When my Walmart relocated across the highway to a bigger store a few years ago I bought several packages of “blades” on clearance so I have several years supply left. I still prefer my newer Husky trimmer with the heavy “titanium” Husky line but that unit wasn’t up here and the grass needed to be mowed.

I have a lot of trees right up to my yard so the root suckers are always a problem for me. If you can trim multiple times a year you can keep them at bay. Miss an area for a year and the yearling sucker stalks become much tougher to cut.

This trimmer is a 90’s era Homelite. We originally had 6 of them over the years and I picked up another along the way. This is the only one left that definitely runs. They don’t run as well as my Husky or FIL’s Stihl but do get the job done when called. Antivibe is non existent, my hands are still tingling from the activities yesterday lol.

My BIL ordered a brand new 62 Catalina 421 Super Duty factory Super Stocker, with the aluminium front end. Had me hooked on Pontiacs for a few years. Then I bought my first Dart GT and it was all over, Mopar or No car.
1962-Pontiac-Catalina1.jpg

The pony may have been a 66; don’t recall for sure. Originally dragged with an OHC six then the super duty 421 was swapped and sold to my oldest brother who continued to race it on the strip. Later sold it to my next oldest brother who street raced it until that life got too dangerous - not the racing - the people and the bets. He gave it up one night after a successful race as he sat in his car loading his pistol in the dark 40 miles from nowhere in the middle of the forest where they raced in those days as he no longer knew if he was going to be handed his bet or something else. I digress. He was also facing a new threat - a 426 Hemi that could beat him and more to come as folks were buying up the used FHP cruisers for those engines. A secondary threat was the improvements to the automatic transmissions. Too bad the hay day was ending just as things were getting exciting performance-wise. I’m sure the Mopar threath wasn’t going to be left unanswered otherwise.

Ron

I hated to put a $30 chain on this saw because between that and the spark plug, now it’s worth more than I can sell it for. Guess I’ll keep this one.
Funny Jeff, I've had cars like that, all I had to do to double the value was to fill the gas tank :laugh:. The good thing was I could drive it until it was out of fuel and then call a junk yard to buy it, when they asked where it was I gave them the address where it ran out of gas at :happy:.

In the future check online or one of the guys here will make you a loop for less.

View attachment 659530 View attachment 659531 By golly it’s going to have to earn it’s keep now!

I have 2 of the earlier version: XL not running - leaked oil badly las ttime ran, and a Homelite similar on a "Rule" chainsaw winch that does run. I had never heard of a Rule winch either until it was given to me. Too slow to be of much use.

The pony may have been a 66; don’t recall for sure. Originally dragged with an OHC six then the super duty 421 was swapped and sold to my oldest brother who continued to race it on the strip. Later sold it to my next oldest brother who street raced it until that life got too dangerous - not the racing - the people and the bets. He gave it up one night after a successful race as he sat in his car loading his pistol in the dark 40 miles from nowhere in the middle of the forest where they raced in those days as he no longer knew if he was going to be handed his bet or something else. I digress. He was also facing a new threat - a 426 Hemi that could beat him and more to come as folks were buying up the used FHP cruisers for those engines. A secondary threat was the improvements to the automatic transmissions. Too bad the hay day was ending just as things were getting exciting performance-wise. I’m sure the Mopar threath wasn’t going to be left unanswered otherwise.

Ron
I raced 340's and 440's, and the trick to racing a Hemi, was stall for 15-20 minutes and keep him at low idle, and the plugs would start to foul. Then it wouldn't run worth beans. I only had 1 friend that had a Hemi, 66 Charger, with 297:1 highway gears. It was a pig coming out of the hole. But, stomp on it at 40-50 miles an hour and it would break the tires loose. Another friend had a 64 Coronet with a 426 Max Wedge, 2-4 barrels on a cross ram, 13:1 compression, factory light weight Super Stock. It was the scariest car I ever sat in. It was 10 years old and considered ragged out when Bruce got it. It would stomp my 440 R/T like a bug. Wish I had a pick, the 64-65 were my all time favorite Dodge and Plymouths. Here's my 67 RT. The R/T was my daily driver when I started at UPS in 85, round trip was about 90 miles per day.
XIIoXf5.jpg

In the future check online or one of the guys here will make you a loop for less.
By the time I got it shipped to Canada, it would be more and that’s before any customs brokerage fees. Hopefully the saw runs long enough to wear out the Stihl chain.

Back