Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

OOPS, that's what my mind was thinking, but my fingers took control, and wrote something else. :)

svk, farmer steve and chipper1 like this.
  2. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 Amateur wood cutter, married to pro wood burner

Ahh, the magic words.

farmer steve, chipper1 and svk like this.
  3. rarefish383

Wow, I'd love that XP1100, little too far for me to drive though. If he had a 60" bar, I might change my mind.

4. rarefish383

Looking at the old milling saw, I stopped in the shop I bought my dump trailer from, they are a Stihl dealer now, so I asked for a price on a 36" 3/8 .050 chain for my mill. He said $60. That's a little cheaper than the Southern States that is a Stihl dealer also. Then he said we have a buy one get one one policy here. So, I got two 36" 115 DL chains for $62.96. A couple weeks ago the SS charged $34 for a little chain for my MS170. I know where I'm getting my chains now.

5. Jeffkrib

Jeffkrib ArboristSite Operative

Yep that’s what I’m pretty much doing every night now, on the milder nights I put them across the other way as it’s a slower burn. I’ve got a little yard stick marked up with width, depth and height of the fire box. The overnight stuff I’m burning now went through the yard stick splitting process two years ago. It’s a delight to have two monster logs which only just fit in the fire place, pretty much load the fire twice in a 24hr period.
    The weather man was saying on the news last night that yesterday (11th of July) is statistically the coldest day in southern Australia so statistically it will get hotter from here on. Loving the cool winter even love the ride to work on the pushy on the frosty mornings.

6. svk

svk Firewood and Saw Collector

34 bucks for a low profile chain?!!! Did I read that wrong? I thought $19 was high at the Stihl dealer by my aunts house!

7. svk

Storm rolled in about 1 AM. Closest lighting strike I’ve ever experienced a few minutes later. It was behind the house so I didn’t see the hit from my bedroom window but it was CLOSE. Going to grab a cup of coffee and take a walk in a minute to see if I can find the struck tree.

We’ve had well over 4” of rain in the past 24 hours. 6” in the prior ten days and well over a foot in June. No forest fire risk here anyhow.

8. rarefish383

I forgot, I also got a 5 gallon bottle of mix, so that might have been about $8, and a quart of bar oil. So it wasn't as bad as I thought. But, I just went out to move my truck so I could mow the lawn, and the cap came off the bar oil. At least my bed liner is all shiny.

9. Oz Lumberjack

Oz Lumberjack ArboristSite Lurker

Nice score Cowboy, hard to beat the heat of a good dense gum. What part of Vic are you located?

10. svk

Heard from a friend that the county highway to my house washed out AGAIN last night. I’m 38 and the house has been in the family since 1973. Road has never washed out in that time but it’s washed out twice in the past month!

11. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

It's gonna be a really clean road!

Philbert

12. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

Speaking of lightening strikes, I've been way too close a few times. The first time was in high school. I was in the passenger seat of a friends '79 F150 4x4 heading home from the county fair. The lightening struck the guardrail right next to me. Sparks flew out over the hood, and our ears were ringing. Scared us! The other time I was in the garage working on a truck. The storm blew up and I just stayed in the garage, door open. The lightening hit a tree right next to the garage. Sent slivers of wood shooting into the ground.

13. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

Scary stuff.
    The closest I was was driving too, heading to the east coast to make a delivery and lightening struck a billboard sign which was quite close to the road, I had a lightening bolt etched in my right eye like the flash from a camera until I was almost out of Pennsylvania and it happened south of Lansing Michigan :surprised3:.
    It was a very hard drive and it was high dollar expedited freight to a GM plant so it couldn't stop lol.

14. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

That's what makes me really like the Archer chain for the smaller saws, $12 a loop. They don't cut quite as smooth but that's because they're a bit more aggressive out of the box, much faster cutting.

We've had some close ones while in the house, 200-250 yards maybe. The closest one ever though was while I was hauling a skid loader back, trying to beat the rain to unload it and was driving down the gravel road. It hit somewhere in the field and I remember feeling it at about the same time I saw it, there was no time in between it crackling either. I don't know what caused my hair to stand up, but it was something.

15. svk

I had a pretty close one at a campground up in NY a few years ago too. We were walking on a road within the campground and a storm was coming but not actually close. Lighting zapped a big white pine in the woods not far from us. We made quick tracks back to the car after that!

16. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

Fixed it Steve :rolleyes:.

17. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

Your getting old buying all those small saws lol.
    This one was "almost" taken down by me yesterday with a little echo top handle in the picture, I had to make the back cut a little deeper:chainsaw:.
    Dropped it onto the trailer and hauled to the road to be chipped :crazy2:.
    I filled that trailer 6 times just pruning trees at the inlaws and taking down the big Christmas tree:lol:.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 2.10.28 PM.png

al-k, KiwiBro, Cowboy254 and 8 others like this.
  18. svk

Lol that was 2011 during my hiatus from AS!

19. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

We'll let it slide this time :).

20. rarefish383

Lightning struck my chimney right after we built the house. My wife came running in the kitchen screaming. I said , don't worry, the house is grounded. She said , "aren't you afraid the house is one fire?". I said, "No not worried". My daughter was still using a booster chair at the table. I said, "Jen, you worried?". She shook her head no. Told the wife I'd check it out after lunch. It did blow out every electrical appliance in the house, and when I went outside, there was a great big chunk of my chimney sitting in the front seat of my brand new car.