Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightning struck my chimney right after we built the house. My wife came running in the kitchen screaming. I said , don't worry, the house is grounded. She said , "aren't you afraid the house is one fire?". I said, "No not worried". My daughter was still using a booster chair at the table. I said, "Jen, you worried?". She shook her head no. Told the wife I'd check it out after lunch. It did blow out every electrical appliance in the house, and when I went outside, there was a great big chunk of my chimney sitting in the front seat of my brand new car.

When I was 5 or 6 years old during a hot summer rain , me and my brothers musta been driving my mother bonkers, she made us put our bathing suits and go out and play in the rain saying that "**** doesn't melt in the rain so get out there ! " .
While we were having fun a bolt of lightning struck a transformer about 100 yards from the house, what a great fireworks show for us , while we were watching the show several more claps of thunder happened.
When we came back in I remember mom being wound up more than we were , apparently she witnessed a ball of lightning roll through an open window in the living room and then straight out through an open window of the kitchen .
The only damage to the house was a melted telephone lol

Saw lightning hit an old hemlock tree down the road. Just happened to be looking out the window when it hit. Yeah I squealed like a little girl! Went down after and it was awesome. It blew chunks of wood out of the core, split the trunk halfway up. We found fist size chunks of wood in the outfield and the tree is behind the bench at the local ball field. Tree is still living and looks fine now.

Getting ready for the first camping trip of the season. Usually I am the firewood guy and bring enough for the whole weekend and we always have a roaring fire. It’s so dry here there is a fire ban so we will have to sit around a lamp or something. Hopefully svk sends us some of that rain!

Lightning struck my chimney right after we built the house. My wife came running in the kitchen screaming. I said , don't worry, the house is grounded. She said , "aren't you afraid the house is one fire?". I said, "No not worried". My daughter was still using a booster chair at the table. I said, "Jen, you worried?". She shook her head no. Told the wife I'd check it out after lunch. It did blow out every electrical appliance in the house, and when I went outside, there was a great big chunk of my chimney sitting in the front seat of my brand new car.
My grandparents house was struck twice during the 44 years they lived there. First time it burned out the tv. Their dog was laying right in front of it and was deathly afraid of storms from that day forward.

Second time it hit the top of the house and exited through the soffit above the back door. Burned out the switch for the back door light and blew about a dime size hole out of the soffit.

Saw it hit a car once when we were driving. I also worked with a guy who got hit. It didn't kill him but basically mangled his big toe on his left foot. He claimed some type of shoe saved his life because it has thicker rubber soles or something to the effect. He always looked goofy wearing the same brand of shoe all the time.

Yep that’s what I’m pretty much doing every night now, on the milder nights I put them across the other way as it’s a slower burn. I’ve got a little yard stick marked up with width, depth and height of the fire box. The overnight stuff I’m burning now went through the yard stick splitting process two years ago. It’s a delight to have two monster logs which only just fit in the fire place, pretty much load the fire twice in a 24hr period.
The weather man was saying on the news last night that yesterday (11th of July) is statistically the coldest day in southern Australia so statistically it will get hotter from here on.

That's my favourite little factlet, about the 11th July being the coldest day. Now the weatherman has gone and told everyone now I won't be able to educate people about it. Coincidentally, Cowgirl's birthday is also the 11th of July. If I was a good husband, Cowgirl's birthday would keep reminding me that the 11th is a particular day, but in my case, it's the other way around. Stihl, the system works :).

Nice score Cowboy, hard to beat the heat of a good dense gum. What part of Vic are you located?

G'day Oz, good to see you around. I'm in the best part of Vic, that being 90km south of Wodonga in the Kiewa Valley. As I type, I'm looking at the snow on Mt Bogong. I was a Melbourne boy originally but it'll be a cold day in hell before I live in a city like that again (then again, if there was a cold day in hell, a scrounger could finally make some good money). Where are you, roughly?

I had two good lumps of coaly blue gum left this morning. Gave it a poke or two.

13th Jul 1.jpg

Then scraped them up into a row in the middle with a round either side and a cover on top to burn them down.

13th Jul 2.jpg

@farmer steve you should get a pic of the locust that was hit across from the shop. Never seen anything get hit. There's one tree along the drive way that looks like it took a hit but it's still getting leaves on it so I guess it kind of recovered.
Here's the locust.about 100 feet from the house and about 30 feet from were my wifes brand new F-250 was sitting. there are 2 locust trees growing about 2 feet apart. the lightning hit the one and came part way down and jumped to the other. looks like they died so they will be firewood next fall.:rock2:20180527_085622_004.jpg 20180527_085653.jpg 20180527_085713.jpg

Here's the locust.about 100 feet from the house and about 30 feet from were my wifes brand new F-250 was sitting. there are 2 locust trees growing about 2 feet apart. the lightning hit the one and came part way down and jumped to the other. looks like they died so they will be firewood next fall.:rock2:View attachment 662739 View attachment 662740 View attachment 662741

Looks like tasty future firewood to me, FS :sweet:.

I have been told that lighting struck trees are no good as firewood. Rumour goes that when they get hit, the volatiles in the wood evaporate and the wood just smoulders in the firebox. I have no evidence, either empirical or from personal experience to back this up. Pure hearsay. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

Logic tells me that even if those flamey volatiles have evaporated, lightning struck wood chucked into a hot firebox will at the very least burn like a similarly sized lump of charcoal.

On the topic of lightening strikes I can go one up on all those stories. When I was 16, one hot summer day I got stuck in a thunderstorm riding home from school. When I got home I grabbed the garage roller door and BANG and I mean Big Bang, I collapsed to the ground, got up and ran into the house, my mum was there and I told her I’d been hit by lightening. She didn’t believe me and said “you’d be dead if your hit” which made sense. Any way a few days later my mum was hanging the washing out and the neighbor asked “how’s your son going” why? “because I saw him get hit by lightening”, she said it hit me in the back pack and I instantly collapsed but got up real fast.
I had a bad headache and sore joints for 2 weeks after that otherwise okay, didn’t even go to the doctor. It was like an electric fence times 1000.

I suspect the bolt split up into multiple strike points as we had a light bulb actually explode in the house. Glad I didn’t explode like farmer Steve’s locust.
Reading all these stories makes me think there’s probably a decent chance of getting hit by lightening at some point in your life.

Reading all these stories makes me think there’s probably a decent chance of getting hit by lightening at some point in your life.
There sure is, and I'm glad you drew that stick lol.
Seriously that's some scary stuff. I was just watching a show on people who get struck by lightening and other things lightening does and does not do. On the show there was a guy who had recently been struck, had a wild looking mark on his shoulder, some guy revived him a couple times, no need to play the lottery as he just got real lucky :yes:.

Looks like tasty future firewood to me, FS :sweet:.

I have been told that lighting struck trees are no good as firewood. Rumour goes that when they get hit, the volatiles in the wood evaporate and the wood just smoulders in the firebox. I have no evidence, either empirical or from personal experience to back this up. Pure hearsay. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

Logic tells me that even if those flamey volatiles have evaporated, lightning struck wood chucked into a hot firebox will at the very least burn like a similarly sized lump of charcoal.
I’ve heard that and also heard that if you burn lightning struck wood, superstition says it will burn your house down.

I’ve only processed a couple of lightning struck trees and made sure they went to a place where they could not be burned indoors.

I read a theory lightning may case harden the wood so it can't ever dry properly. Bear with me as I'm no expert but wood needs to dry the water out the cells, and water around them (the sap). The sap dries first and readily, the cells slower. Case hardening is something that can happen if wood is rapidly kiln dried... The sap comes out but the cells get sealed in some way and then either dry very slowly or never. I'm sure someone can explain that much better.... Then please leave and go to h e a r t h.com, you're not wanted here.;)

I’ve heard that and also heard that if you burn lightning struck wood, superstition says it will burn your house down.

I’ve only processed a couple of lightning struck trees and made sure they went to a place where they could not be burned indoors.
All of the stories about struck trees not burning well, or popping and spitting, are just stories. We took down many lightning struck trees when Dad was in business. Most were big Oaks and Tulip Poplars, the tallest trees in the area, they all burned normally.

One big Oak we took down was right behind the owners back door and had a cable dog run bolted to it. When it got struck their pet German Shepard was on the run and got killed.

I have never seen a tree get hit, but my favorite tree stand on my property got hit a # of years ago, and it may have been my fault. I took lots of deer and a coyote and bobcat from that stand, and I still miss it.

As the tree grew into the steps, and as I got older, it got more difficult to get into it, and I even fell off the steps one icy/snowy opening morning. So I attached a metal handle where I transitioned from the steps to the platform. It think that is what got hit. Was a beautiful Cherry tree, now laying on the ground, and no other tree gives access to those shooting lanes.

Back