Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much for the hatch back delivered:lol:. Haven't seen one around here with solid wheel wells in a long time. Still have my B series mounts for that chassis. Building another soul crushing civic crosses my mind now and then.
I let my wife drive that one for a while, then sold it for 1500. It was a heck of a deal for me, I did have to work hard for it and spent a bit before I even got to see the car both in time and money, so I'm glad it paid off.
I hauled my 2000 insight home on that trailer too, and my first Kubota tractor, the week after hauling the tract home I had a bearing go out I'm not sure why :innocent:.
Here's the other side of little blue(that's what we call it), and you can see the insight behind it as well as a 2004(I think) Honda Accord I forgot I even had :dizzy:, and a hs621 snowblower on the porch lol.
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.47.14 PM.png
Here's the tractor with little blue behind it, do you think the tractor was over the 1800 payload of the trailer, it had loaded tires too :omg:.
The Honda CRV made it in this one as well, yes I like Honda :numberone:.
That tractor was a big upgrade for scrounging from the quad, and the one that replaced it is even better, I feel very blessed:bowdown:.
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.01.02 PM.png

Theres no "on-off" control? Did you do front and rear? I'm not sure whats in the rear...Dana 70/80 and I think a 60 in the front.

If both front and rear diff’s are open, no posi then the lockrites or Detroit locker will go in place of the spider gears. I do both diffs. All four wheels are pulling. Jack up three wheels off the ground and the vechical will still move.

If both front and rear diff’s are open, no posi then the lockrites or Detroit locker will go in place of the spider gears. I do both diffs. All four wheels are pulling. Jack up three wheels off the ground and the vechical will still move.
I've never seen a Detroit that only replaces the spider gears. Not saying they don't have one but I thought all the Detroit's replaced the entire carrier.

Theres no "on-off" control? Did you do front and rear? I'm not sure whats in the rear...Dana 70/80 and I think a 60 in the front.
If your going to drive it on the street in 4 wheel drive a selectable will be better in the front like an ARB air locker. Front lockers can cause severe understeer in lite snow or iceie conditions. With the ARB you can use 4 wheel drive with the front open for those situations and have better control and then if the snow gets deep or your out in the mud flip a switch and lock it for better traction.

You make your wife park that far from the house o_O.
Locust :sweet:.
Nah. i drop her of at the back door and park the truck. i was worried that the lightning strike was close enough to the truck to screw up all the @#$% electronics in the truck but it stihl starts.

I have 5x10 trailer that I normally use. The problem is the receiver hitch on the truck is rusted through. I've heard of it being common on those trucks with the factory receiver. I can get one for about 150, but money's tight at the moment. The trailer is a lot easier to load too. Some of the pieces are big! I'll set one on the ground under the tailgate and then flip the others onto it and into the truck. This morning I have to noodle a few down to even move then. Definitely taking advantage of it while I can.

6273D593-4DD6-4563-8732-70391C29A544.jpeg Probably 800 pages of scrounging/ chainsaws. The rest is weather, guns, hunting/fishing trucks and fast cars. If we talked boats and snowmobiles more, this would be the whole internet for me! Lol. Just to keep on topic, saw this porky while camping yesterday evening. It’s on topic because he’s scrounging!

20180714_113052.jpg Got this going today. The guy at the stihl stealership told my landscaper buddy it needed a new carb wanted $150 for carb and install. Checked the carb settings high was closed as far as the limiter would let it and low was like 3 turns out. Set high as rich as the limiters would go set low at 1 1/4 fired on 5 pulls and runs like a top.

Well the “new” ford got demoted to wood hauler last weekend, my buddy was busy and there wasn’t a very good place to turn the horse trailer around.378AF7D9-C439-474F-B91B-00041EEC18EB.jpegA nice resonantly dececed red fir.29C43983-449E-4CFB-A169-83D59968FA4C.jpegThe top broke but thankfuly stayed together long enough to get it pulled closer to the road sense my cable wouldn’t have reached past the breakC7079B65-2029-490A-BCD6-56A4A67B65FC.jpeg D8D0E82D-CF26-44C7-B9D2-E284562C1020.jpeg

Attachments

• 6C37C90B-4E29-4F94-95FE-C50443825E40.jpeg
    6C37C90B-4E29-4F94-95FE-C50443825E40.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
That's my favourite little factlet, about the 11th July being the coldest day. Now the weatherman has gone and told everyone now I won't be able to educate people about it. Coincidentally, Cowgirl's birthday is also the 11th of July. If I was a good husband, Cowgirl's birthday would keep reminding me that the 11th is a particular day, but in my case, it's the other way around. Stihl, the system works :).

G'day Oz, good to see you around. I'm in the best part of Vic, that being 90km south of Wodonga in the Kiewa Valley. As I type, I'm looking at the snow on Mt Bogong. I was a Melbourne boy originally but it'll be a cold day in hell before I live in a city like that again (then again, if there was a cold day in hell, a scrounger could finally make some good money). Where are you, roughly?

I had two good lumps of coaly blue gum left this morning. Gave it a poke or two.

View attachment 662732

Then scraped them up into a row in the middle with a round either side and a cover on top to burn them down.

View attachment 662733
That is beautiful country up your way. Nice a close to the high country too. I'm in the Yarra Valley out Healesville way. I agree with your sentiments on Melbourne I'm still too close for my liking but rarely have to venture in there thankfully but its scarey how quick the suburbs are spreading towards us.

its scarey how quick the suburbs are spreading towards us.
There used to be this quaint, quintessential coastal NZ 'blip' of a town here we used to visit when chasing surf, back when I had more hair than cares in the world. Everyone has their limits and each of us are different, but when we reached ours and couldn't stand the dense urban jungle any more, a tactical retreat to the surf town from my youth seemed like a great option. Sold, got out and to this day still hate driving back to Auckland and its over-tensioned, shrill madness, on the few occasions I am forced to be there. That said, and like you have observed, we've watched the distant lights of the advancing front of urban sprawl march progressively closer over the last few years at what seems like an increasing pace.

From our observation post, 10 years ago there was just one light in a full 360 degree survey. Now it's over twenty. What's most disturbing however, and it nearly brought me to tears if I'm honest, was the news about a year ago the neighbouring farm on the hill has sold and has been carved up (on paper at this point but inevitable in terra firma shortly) into well over 100 properties.

I'm looking for land in the Far North. There's one more new-ground/homestead new build left in me, or I'll at least die trying. The Urban invasion won't take me alive.

Vive la résistance

Well the “new” ford got demoted to wood hauler last weekend, my buddy was busy and there wasn’t a very good place to turn the horse trailer around.View attachment 663059A nice resonantly dececed red fir.View attachment 663062The top broke but thankful stayed together long enough to get it pulled closer to the road sense my cable wouldn’t have reached past the breakView attachment 663063 View attachment 663065

Bout time !
You know that truck was just sittin there like a player on the bench sayin "Pick me coach !" lol

It has started, @Logger nate . You know what's going to happen now ;).

That is beautiful country up your way. Nice a close to the high country too. I'm in the Yarra Valley out Healesville way. I agree with your sentiments on Melbourne I'm still too close for my liking but rarely have to venture in there thankfully but its scarey how quick the suburbs are spreading towards us.

Hey, that's a beautiful spot too. I used to ski a bit at Lake Mountain as a lad and the drive up the Black Spur from Fernshaw was incredible at times. Some mornings driving up there with a light fog and the sunlight flitting through the towering Mountain Ash, you'd marvel at how beautiful it was.

Black spur 1.jpg

Black spur 2.jpg

We drove through there last year on the way back from Melbourne (scenic route) and stopped at the Healesville sanctuary on the way. The wedge-tailed eagle was the same one that I saw there when I was on a school camp 30 years ago. I think he's about 45 years old now.

30th Jul 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back