Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milled 4 more Black Oak boards, in the hot, hot sun … really zapped me, but I got it done! I also thought rolling the log down off the pile w/o any injuries or loosing control of it was quite an accomplishment. Move this piece, but not that one, kinda like a jig saw puzzle with no room for mistakes. You don't want to loose control of one of those things, they can hurt ya! Makes life interesting! Was just me, my saws, and the Timberjack.

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_170626430_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180715_170626430_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 26
Only scrounged up a small load today

JZSr39j.jpg

It only looks small because you have an awesome trailer. I reckon you'd fit about 7 of my trailer loads in there. Plus my trailer.

I took a whole saw to the end's of the leg's, that gave me a nice round end.
It is hard to drill a whole in the end grain. View attachment 663350

I'll try and get a pic of the small one I made when I busted my tib/fib , I needed something to keep the foot elevated , I drilled through mine , used a taperd reamer , whittled the legs and drove them in . I flush cut the legs at the top and that's how it stayed , rustic but works for me :)
I have a bigger 24" diameter maple that I'm gonna turn into a coffee table at some point when it's dry enough .

A nice red oak along my driveway that appears to be dying off due to lack of sunlight. Will be scrounged as soon as the weather cools.

View attachment 663384

I usually wait till about October/November to assess hardwood heath , if it has no leaves , it's sick and should be cut down ,,, ;)

Only scrounged up a small load today

JZSr39j.jpg

Here'a a vid of fella that I'd call a scrounger

Good stuff Dan.
The snow has arrived and the temperature is reasonable :numberone:.
Someone should tell him that you can't cut wood without a 70cc pro saw, and it should be ported too :laugh:.

Thanks chipper. I’m very thankful to live here, other people seem to like it too,... the valley area south of us has gained over 50,000 people in the last 8 years and a lot of them are here on weekends:nofunny:.
Yes is does, I really like that 562:). Never ran a stock one but the modified ones are a blast:yes::chainsaw:
No worry I haven’t progressed to the cowboy method of chucking big rounds into the back from 50 ft away, I was careful ;).
It looks like a great place to be, I really need to make it out that way, hoping next summer.
Never been to impressed with the 562 in stock form, but with a little work they get better, and with porting they are animals.
Thanks, I'd like it to not be too beat up :cheers:.

G'day cobbers, it's not that I'm wanting to rub it in at all, but we're about to head off to Samoa for a week's fishing, beer and beach time. This was the trip we missed back in April when Cowgirl had a near-death experience but we're all good to fly out this arvo. Fishing pics in due course.

View attachment 663219 Center pieces like these from my buddies wedding. All of these went home with his new MIL so I need to make more
I remember those.
Is there a way to keep them from checking, or to make it less, they seem to break easy when they do that.
plenty here James. come on up. ya might have to cut your way into it because it might be buried under some locust and ash.
Around here if there's locust, there's cherry. It's like everything you need for the shoulder seasons, the frigid times, and even the cherry for when the coals get built up to much :clap:.

Well I had a saw come back to me today. I had sold my Dolmar PS-32 to a friend last fall on a “catch ya later” basis and he told me to come get it as things weren’t going well and he’d rather have it off his plate. This was fine with me as I loved that saw and only sold it to him because he wanted a reliable saw.

I’ve been through some **** myself so totally understand that. I’ll probably cut a little wood with it later this week for old times sake and then throw it in the trading post. If anyone wants a great small saw, this is the one. It blew away my Echo 352’s when compared stock to stock.

Joe, I saw this on craigslist and thought of you.

Alaskan Chainsaw mill - $350 (Griffin)

image 1 of 3
00X0X_b5VaYxhi086_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

For sale a Alaskan chainsaw mill, Will cut 1/2 inch to 12 inch by 42 inches wide. Engine was running when placed in storage 30 years ago, i am not able to try to start now. Just trying to sell the mill, if engine will run then great to who buys. Comes with 2 extra bars and chains,one is 36 inch the other looks to be a 24 or 28 inch bar. Chains look new.Have manual and parts list to go with the saw.
Saw is a Homelite XP 1100, 100 cc.
Leaving for NC in a couple hours. I was thinking about making an offer, just checked, the add is gone.

Back