Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Tuesday auction. There were a couple things I was thinking about bidding on, but they were all in the last building, not going off till 7. There was a very nice Cruiser Double on a new long handle, a 7 ton Craftsmen gas powered log splitter, and a box full of ball peen hammers. The splitter was so cute I was thinking about waiting, but it was so freaking hot, I thought I was going to faint, so I left.

My NC plans got cancelled for now. My wife hit a pot hole and blew a tire last night. No one in town could get one until tomorrow. So, we decided to go visit in the fall when weather is nicer.

I am looking into brush cutters/forestry clearing saws. I will stay with Husky/Echo. Any advice?
Similar to this, however one that big/powerful *MAY* be overkill.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/clearing-saws/555fx/966629102/

I have a 265rx with a dead motor :( and an FS550 :)
Most of the guys that do clearing work up here run FS460's because of the power , fuel economy and reliability .

No prob taking down 4" trees with these trimmers so ,,, not overkill lol

Put these two cottonweeds on the ground for my aunt tonight. Used the come along on the one cut towards the lake to get the slight back weight past center. Just wedges on the one towards the house.

Pretty big trees to cut with a 35 cc saw but it did the job well. Almost 3 tanks full to tackle these two.

C290C52B-171F-45B4-B9E7-5B70E1C3B6C7.jpeg 980B7D1B-9024-41A8-85F8-B2656709C526.jpeg 2DED1976-8380-4024-ABA7-E568436CE574.jpeg

I had the craftsman version of the 3314 and it had a 38cc engine. It wore a 16” bar and I really liked that little $35 saw. Took it off the shelf last spring and it wouldn’t start, bar stud was about stripped anyways and the side cover was broken where the chain tensioner is so I chucked it. That little saw cut a lot of wood.

I bought my Poulan 3314 brand new in 2006. It cut 3yrs of firewood plus yard cleanup. ALL my Husky's are just now catching up to how much wood that little poulan cut, and it would sit in the shed unused for 2-3yrs sometimes with the same gas in it. Dump old gas, refill, oil, run. Did a little MM and took it with me when I had the post-break-in tunes done to my Husky's and had them tune the 3314. That saw was the cheapest, loudest screamer I have run. I never did put any good chain on it. Shame. Still ran when I sold it. Paid $100 brand new. Had it 12 yrs. Sold it for $50. Never again will I be able to say I paid $50 for a saw that lasted 12yrs that cut as much as that saw did.

I had the same reaction when I noticed that about mine. I think all of the Poulan saws that the box stores carry (42cc and smaller) have the same 42cc engine in them, regardless of what the marketing sticker says. They can under-sell the engine, but not over-sell it. From a manufacturing and service standpoint, it makes sense - they have only 1 engine to make and stock parts for.

Back