Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the call tonight about the property down the road. Meeting the owner at 4 tomorrow to get keys to the lock. Iv been told there at least 4 cord worth at the landing they used and tons of standing dead if I'm allowed to take them. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Mike and chainsaw jim have both told me to try fileing square. I'm still trying to figure out the round file.View attachment 695254
That looks great! I am still a bit sloppy but improves a little each time. I grew up doing like dad did early on. File a bit till ya hit a bad knot or gravel. Drop em off to get em ground.

This was before lawyers and insurance forced prices up. So since then (the 80's) there are few doing it and the last I had done were terrible. So I am following Philberts threads trying to plan my next move.

But have had good results by hand lately especially like doing 3/8ths lo pro and am getting 325 down. Really like 325 when the teeth are more then 1/2 gone. It flat out rips and stays sharp longer for me.

Got the call tonight about the property down the road. Meeting the owner at 4 tomorrow to get keys to the lock. Iv been told there at least 4 cord worth at the landing they used and tons of standing dead if I'm allowed to take them. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

You're gonna find that it sure is nice to have a key to a gate ,,,

5LSvkYj.jpg

:)

Decided to do a little logging trail grooming today. I dug out and pushed over some trees, levelled some high sections and got fubarred a couple of times but I did manage to get out and only had to cut trees down to get out once. But my wife, who never comes to the bush decided to come check out what I was doing. I was supposed to be emptying ashes out of the OWB and got a little side tracked. She brought the 4 wheeler back and sat and watched me knock over some trees and get stuck several times. Unfortunately I never noticed her there watching until 15 minutes had passed. She says there is no way I'm ever getting a new tractor if that's the way I treat this one. I didn't bother telling her I wrecked one of the front chains. She even followed me back home to make sure I didn't get side tracked again. I did finish the damn ashes. I'll fix the chains later. 20190106_152535.jpg 20190106_151637.jpg 20190106_135739.jpg 20190106_135731.jpg 20190106_151809.jpg

Decided to do a little logging trail grooming today. I dug out and pushed over some trees, levelled some high sections and got fubarred a couple of times but I did manage to get out and only had to cut trees down to get out once. But my wife, who never comes to the bush decided to come check out what I was doing. I was supposed to be emptying ashes out of the OWB and got a little side tracked. She brought the 4 wheeler back and sat and watched me knock over some trees and get stuck several times. Unfortunately I never noticed her there watching until 15 minutes had passed. She says there is no way I'm ever getting a new tractor if that's the way I treat this one. I didn't bother telling her I wrecked one of the front chains. She even followed me back home to make sure I didn't get side tracked again. I did finish the damn ashes. I'll fix the chains later. View attachment 695283 View attachment 695284 View attachment 695286 View attachment 695293 View attachment 695297
Might be able to rationalize and intellectualize crawler here! Maybe a nice JD 450?

I scrounged up 3 good loads with the Tucson today, wood for the 2019-2020 season. Again, from the gun range - trees that were cut and piled 3 years ago.

Mostly Ash, some Beech, plus a short stick each of Locust, Oak, and Walnut.

No pics, I was too busy working, sorry.

Well , it wasn't a good weekend to be in the woods , warm winds and heavy fog yesterday , rain , then windy with temps at 33F and wet today so :(
So , it was decided to gear up a woods trailer to go haul out a couple of cord that we cut and left in the woods :)
It was a free ugly trailer that I scrounged up a few years ago so I figured that it was time :)
It was at a friends place for a couple of years so Jerry and I went over to pick it up , we used a minihoe , loaded it upside down in my dump trailer and hauled to Jerry's place so he could do a bit of welding to some seedy bits (sorry , no pics :("
Today we sided it and got it over to the pit where we haul some of our wood too .

jWH2lx2.jpg

OqpgHlV.jpg

eSESo4Z.jpg

f6vF2UW.jpg

6'x4' metal floor , 20" sides , springs ? polly early caravan hubs with weather cracked 14" winter tires but they have tubes so they hold air just fine :)
A thing of beauty , the wood and screws are worth more than the trailer lol
If it hauls out 1 load of wood , it's paid for :D

kicka** deal! you brought it back to life... way to go. I like it. :)

I scrounged up 3 good loads with the Tucson today, wood for the 2019-2020 season. Again, from the gun range - trees that were cut and piled 3 years ago.

Mostly Ash, some Beech, plus a short stick each of Locust, Oak, and Walnut.

No pics, I was too busy working, sorry.

Well, it didn't happen then!

Looks like mid week we'll drop below freezing and stay there through the weekend! Might be able to make it into the woodlot next weekend without having a @cantoo episode (I think many of us can relate to several of his points, great story). Rebuilding the scrounged winch was interesting, necessary (& expensive :eek:) but I really need some saw time.

Well, it didn't happen then!

one could surmise... lol. can't we give him the benefit of the doubt! ? lol, but of course... I mean... these days... too bizzee to go 'click'. one lousy, lil, tiny, itsie bitsie 'click'. just one "for the boys" ? lol :)

BK - I believe you! uh-huh!! :yes: after all, this is not a dating site... :laughing:

:popcorn2:

You're gonna find that it sure is nice to have a key to a gate ,,,

5LSvkYj.jpg

:)

that looks like some country, and road... I remember going hunting with my dad down in Oregon... I can just see a big buck cross that road... as u wait there for the keys... my biggest deer hunting Oops! was when my BIL and I had gone to south of Seattle... and shooting. 8mm sported Mauser my dad had built. he was quite the gunsmith!! so, we get to spot, rifle is in back seat, unloaded... and I walk to the back of the car to get out what we are going to shoot at, target practice. and omg... :surprised3: there... not 75' away... strolls by us a monster buck! prob biggest i had ever seen. I about did a flip... :pingpong:dash to car, get rifle, put in a round... but, alas... that big buck was no where to be seen again. I will never forget it. how big was it? he was so big, and had a rack of racks... I would say, one mite actually think it was an elk. but, of course, no elk in that part of the lower Cascades plateaus... what a brag day that would have been. "... just stepped out of the car, and there he was, had just stepped into out view! BANG!, and we tagged him... " alas, no deer tag, alas, no shot cause we was just going shooting, but had one at home.

believe it!, 'cause it happened...
zlb.jpg

that looks like some country, and road... I remember going hunting with my dad down in Oregon... I can just see a big buck cross that road... as u wait there for the keys... my biggest deer hunting Oops! was when my BIL and I had gone to south of Seattle... and shooting. 8mm sported Mauser my dad had built. he was quite the gunsmith!! so, we get to spot, rifle is in back seat, unloaded... and I walk to the back of the car to get out what we are going to shoot at, target practice. and omg... :surprised3: there... not 75' away... strolls by us a monster buck! prob biggest i had ever seen. I about did a flip... :pingpong:dash to car, get rifle, put in a round... but, alas... that big buck was no where to be seen again. I will never forget it. how big was it? he was so big, and had a rack of racks... I would say, one mite actually think it was an elk. but, of course, no elk in that part of the lower Cascades plateaus... what a brag day that would have been. "... just stepped out of the car, and there he was, had just stepped into out view! BANG!, and we tagged him... " alas, no deer tag, alas, no shot cause we was just going shooting, but had one at home.

believe it!, 'cause it happened...
View attachment 695410

I was fresh out of the AF after 20 years and my brother invited me for opening day. We left well befoe daylight so couldn't see much. He sais "we'll drive out to a poin on the canyon rim and wait for daylight". Worked great, Arrived, parked, opened door and a whole herd of deer jumped up and disappeared. Sounded like we had parked right in the middle of them. I got one long range shot, no good. Saw a lot of good ones but they were on the opposite rim of the canyon.

Well , it wasn't a good weekend to be in the woods , warm winds and heavy fog yesterday , rain , then windy with temps at 33F and wet today so :(
So , it was decided to gear up a woods trailer to go haul out a couple of cord that we cut and left in the woods :)
It was a free ugly trailer that I scrounged up a few years ago so I figured that it was time :)
It was at a friends place for a couple of years so Jerry and I went over to pick it up , we used a minihoe , loaded it upside down in my dump trailer and hauled to Jerry's place so he could do a bit of welding to some seedy bits (sorry , no pics :("
Today we sided it and got it over to the pit where we haul some of our wood too .

jWH2lx2.jpg

OqpgHlV.jpg

eSESo4Z.jpg

f6vF2UW.jpg

6'x4' metal floor , 20" sides , springs ? polly early caravan hubs with weather cracked 14" winter tires but they have tubes so they hold air just fine :)
A thing of beauty , the wood and screws are worth more than the trailer lol
If it hauls out 1 load of wood , it's paid for :D

Nice repurposing job mate, nothing better than turning what most would think is junk into something useful again!

This was the 3 cherry chunks after splitting. Neighbor assisted rolling em on the splitter beam. They were heavy, frozen, water logged and slippery as could be.

Then I split the rest of the pile had to be close to 1/2 a cord. Even some of that highly sought after Mossy Boxelder!

I've cut so much scrounge type wood this year I can hardly wait to get into some decent sized logs! But no one's cut back here for close to 20 years. So I am gonna be cutting blow downs and tops for the rest of my days!

You sharpen square from the outside in, not the inside out (like round). Always keep the corner of your six sided file in the corner of the tooth. For hard wood, I recommend 45* back, 45* down, and an angle of 45*. If you put the corner of your file in the corner of the tooth, the little flat side will be on the strap on the opposite side helping you to line up.

This is what a square file file looks like:

https://www.baileysonline.com/pferd-double-bevel-chisel-files-15070-each-15070.html

Back