Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't run a saw in a month and was getting the shakes. The monkey saw has been neglected for a while with the big boys getting all the attention so with some cooler weather today I figured it was a good time to dice some wattle I took down a few months ago. I used the Logosol log holder which made life easy.

5th Jan 1.jpg

Easy work and didn't take long.

5th Jan 2.jpg

I also split up a previously cut pile of wattle and pittosporum, both of which will be good firepit wood after summer.

5th Jan 3.jpg
It was good to get some 2-stroke up the nose today, makes me feel like a man again.

:)

Are VC Resolute acclaim is 20 years old theres a brand new VC in the garage from the same time frame if we ever ware this one out. Hopefully never have to deal with a modern EPA stove. FIL replaced the cat once when it failed the second time he just left it out. Other then that it just keeps heating the house.
Bought a VC back in the 80s. It was the large one (Intrepid? Edit: Not anIntrepid, a Defiant) and paid a little north of a grand for it with warming shelves, and-irons, and glass doors. Sold it with the house. Saw a Resolute with glass and rear heat shield at a garage sale a couple years back. There were 1/2 dozen people looking it over. I went straight to the seller, asked how much ($50!), and shoved the money in his hand without ever getting near the stove. Great stoves, great company. Don't know if you can wear one out, but I'm not letting this one go.

My 50cc saws are the 445 and 550xp. The 550 is better/faster but the shape/ergonomics of the 445 are better.
True, the 445 is not a fast saw. About the only time I look for speed at my age is to chase the hinge on a challenging fell . That's one of the few times I'll put the 445 back and grab the Dolmar.

True, the 445 is not a fast saw. About the only time I look for speed at my age is to chase the hinge on a challenging fell . That's one of the few times I'll put the 445 back and grab the Dolmar.
I'm gonna try the 445 in some wood today. I will say comparing to the early 025 I had its anti vibes are way better. Only slightly less hp 2.8 vs 3.0 giver take. A few ounces heavier. My guess is there is more to be had just not sure it's worth the effort for a 10-17% gain. Keeping the chain sharps probably all it needs like any other saw. Fills a gap in my rotation so I can rework my 52's bottom. Got a great parts saw unfortunately the cranks bent.

There's a pile of firewood cut with 445's every year. Along with other saws of their ilk. Poulan pro has cut a lot of wood for my stove. A pro saw is lighter and stronger (especially muffler modded, ported, base gasket delete, uh uh uh) but more expensive. You won't see any saw snobbery from me . Just get out and enjoy running them! :chainsaw:

Heading out the door in a few minutes, last day to hunt for me. We have a late season, 4th-6th. I'm taking my Savage 99 F, Feather weight take down in 303 Savage, made in 1926. If I get a deer with it today I'll have the "Savage Slam". The Slam is a game animal with each of the Savage Cartridges, the 22 Savage HiPower, 250-3000 Savage, 300 Savage, and the 303 Savage.
Well had my chance, saw 16 deer, all doe. We have Sunday hunting in our county, so I'm going out for 3-4 hours tomorrow. Yesterday I saw the first deer at 8:10 and the last one at 10:30. All were within 50 yards and the last one walked by at about 10 yards. This farm has some really nice bucks on it so I was holding out for one. Tomorrow I guess I'll go with "if it's brown, it's down".

I posted this question in the chainsaw forum and have no response yet. The Echo 750 EVL my friend just gave me has a dead electronic module, I have a 650 EVL with the same problem. I saw a couple used modules on ebay for $125. Not shelling out that kind of money. Is there any way to use a Nova II module on those saws. Or, does anyone have a couple good modules?

Got this nice little WV mountain deer with my 1912 22 HP with the original Malcolm scope. Although the deer was so close I used the tang sight. The scope is ofset to the left of the barrel.
YqeXwLu.jpg

good pix. I had venison back strap with lunch today. umm, so tender...

While I was cleaning saws and sharpening chains the fire all but died. Tree service contracted to the power company was out front trimming from a bucket. I went in and filled the stove with 2" thick slabs of oak bark. Put on a pretty good smoke show. Would have thought there was a chimney fire.

more smoke the merrier, I say. I loaded up MBR fireplace last nite with some stix on coals... took a while to catch. in meantime, I went out to woodpile to get some more firewood. with my flashlight. smoky the bear would not have approved of the fog. lol. I like it when my outdoor fireplace is real smoky, wettish wood, etc and up goes the smoke. tons. up into under neath a cold air band. it cannot rise, and so spreads out over the immediate neighborhood area. can u say London Fog? lol

one of the best was when I had some wet stix on hot coals. they heated up. the smoke was profuse. a steam locomotive coundn't compare... and neighbor called me up to ask if I was burning leaves in the living room... lol

I hadn't run a saw in a month and was getting the shakes. The monkey saw has been neglected for a while with the big boys getting all the attention so with some cooler weather today I figured it was a good time to dice some wattle I took down a few months ago. I used the Logosol log holder which made life easy.

View attachment 694859

Easy work and didn't take long.

View attachment 694860

I also split up a previously cut pile of wattle and pittosporum, both of which will be good firepit wood after summer.

View attachment 694861
It was good to get some 2-stroke up the nose today, makes me feel like a man again.

:)

nice! haven't seen one of those before...

The 445 ran great. Didn't burn a full tank but did run dirty enough the chain will need a touch up. Did some boxelder, cherry and oak. Along with the stumps. Nothing over 8" +- so far I really enjoyed it.

Would have got more time on it but my nieghbor came over and put a little time on the Jred 451ev. Always nice to have help!

Mixed lot 1/2 a cord for the day 1/3 of it split in the wood shed. The rest in the spring or when I get to it pile.

Setup well (if weather holds) to get more on the verge of punk oak. Standing dead cherry and maybe a couple big oaks that the tops are mostly blown out.

I always tried to run my stove as clean as I could. Better for me, my kids, and my neighbors.

My neighbor burns yard waste EVERY ****ING DAY from the beginning of fall into the beginning of December.

He builds these tiny little fires full of wet leaves and what sticks and always starts it with kerosene.

In the evening the smoke from his little fire fills my backyard and part of the neighborhood.

I am not one to complain about the neighbors as I make a lot of noise all year with my truck, guns and saw. But that smoke is ridiculous. I completely understand when small neighborhood would complain about woodstoves creating lots of smoke.

Our area is lower and and the smoke stays on low pressure days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back