Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrounged a few non runners yesterday for $75. I think the Stihl 015 needs fuel lines and the Echo does not have spark. I’m gonna have to check points and condenser on that one.
6c01110fdd1b3dc2d3fe60095e207c4a.jpg
fbe0f7d29ecbe257b2f43a2a7fa74f71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of my Dad's first Echo's was a 452, I remember really liking it for a ground saw.

So we got a decent pickup load split for my aunt. She gifted me her late husband's Husky 445. Hasn't been ran in several years but I'm confident it can be a runner again. Best of all she sent over several dozen cookies! Woot woot!

I'll drop by and see how the stove is doing in a week or so when it cools off again.

I reckon that’s often the case re the EPA - you guys seem to cut a lot of greenish wood from what I’m seeing posted at times. Most of our wood is the opposite with it being dead for many years and well seasoned.

20190103_162614.jpg Ran the old splitter for a bit just to get some junk out of the way and some pieces the fiskars wanted no part of.20190103_163239.jpg Then decided to bust up some big oak rounds. This one was being stubborn so I decided to grab the isocore. First time I felt it was useful. The axe just does it better 90% of the time.

Her wood has come from the same logging service for 17yrs. My guess its been cut 1 winter ahead stored in logs and processed on demand. Calling it seasoned is a stretch. She has wood left from last year that is not EPA stove dry yet. My guess is on the 20-25% side. Oak of course.

Her wood has come from the same logging service for 17yrs. My guess its been cut 1 winter ahead stored in logs and processed on demand. Calling it seasoned is a stretch. She has wood left from last year that is not EPA stove dry yet. My guess is on the 20-25% side. Oak of course.

How does one compete with kiln dried pine and balsm to meet EPA testing...........

How does one compete with kiln dried pine and balsm to meet EPA testing...........
Glad I can get through the season with my pre EPA stove. Funny you bring it up I have thought of kiln like drying. Might come to that. I wouldn't go EPA until I had 3 years inside under cover.

My cousin put a Crown Royal Multi Pass OWB in this year. Will be interesting to get his opinion on that. 15k installed is a little steep for me and seems like there is just more to go wrong with them. I was impressed with the emissions. Wouldn't even bother a close nieghbor.

Dont sweat it, i have a stupid useless EPA Pacific Energy Vista at the house, its a huge learning curve to learn what makes it tick, versus my old Fisher Papa Bear aka open door slam in what ever, close door, damper down, repeat every 8 hours..........

I agree it is VERY different. But not hard. I find it to be very predictable. I am getting to the point were i can now choose from my wood selection (mixing types) and put in the proper amount to last however long i want. 2 hours, 4 hours,6, 8, 12.... and leave me a nice bed of coals for the next fire.

I extend my burn times by using differnt lenghts of wood. My stove will take 32in lenghts. I cut y wood around 20inches. When bucking logs, I always endup with shorth chunks. If I want the fire to last a long time, I put in a layer of 20in wood and then throw a big chunck side ways into the back. Another layer of 20in with another short chunk to the back. Limb wood thats almost to stove limit lenght wise, I leave long and put it on top of the load. I have gone all nite and the next day and still have enough coals to restart the following evening. Lately, its been mid 50'sF and raining. I havent had a fire in two weeks. Thinking about building a Ark.

I extend my burn times by using differnt lenghts of wood. My stove will take 32in lenghts. I cut y wood around 20inches. When bucking logs, I always endup with shorth chunks. If I want the fire to last a long time, I put in a layer of 20in wood and then throw a big chunck side ways into the back. Another layer of 20in with another short chunk to the back. Limb wood thats almost to stove limit lenght wise, I leave long and put it on top of the load. I have gone all nite and the next day and still have enough coals to restart the following evening. Lately, its been mid 50'sF and raining. I havent had a fire in two weeks. Thinking about building a Ark.
What are you using for engines on the ark? Can you swing by and pick me up?

Wait.

So you dont get the longest burn times with ..... 32” logs and splits?

Wait.

So you dont get the longest burn times with ..... 32” logs and splits?

Sure I would, but 32in logs are hard to stick in a wood stove, lenght ways, with a 11in door. Then there is the fact that unless its really cold outside, packing the stove full gets the house to hot. And then you have the issue of a wood splitter with a 24in stroke. Dang 32in long rounds just wont fit.

Sure I would, but 32in logs are hard to stick in a wood stove, lenght ways, with a 11in door. Then there is the fact that unless its really cold outside, packing the stove full gets the house to hot. And then you have the issue of a wood splitter with a 24in stroke. Dang 32in long rounds just wont fit.

Well the wood splitter thing makes sense. I didn’t know. Iv never used a wood splitter. Just a fiskars[emoji1787]

I have wedge split long pc on their side.

1060678C-D34C-4C8F-BB14-6CCBFBC5DD78.png Had to make a decision on my 15 year old Silverado since I retired last year and this is the decision. Going to use it for firewood but I’m going to be more careful loading than I was on the old one! Definitely blew all my saw money for the next couple years. I pick it up Saturday.

View attachment 694603 Had to make a decision on my 15 year old Silverado since I retired last year and this is the decision. Going to use it for firewood but I’m going to be more careful loading than I was on the old one! Definitely blew all my saw money for the next couple years. I pick it up Saturday.
Me too, I got my F150 on the 31st. All I wanted was a white fleet truck, but no one had one. With the end of year deals I got a loaded XLT Sport for the same price as a stripped XL. My wife has been doubling the payments on her car because we knew I needed a truck bad. My 99 Ram was dying on me. So, I had to go with an 84 month loan to get the payments down. Now the new truck is so nice my wife doesn't want me to use it for work like stuff.

Back