Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heading out the door in a few minutes, last day to hunt for me. We have a late season, 4th-6th. I'm taking my Savage 99 F, Feather weight take down in 303 Savage, made in 1926. If I get a deer with it today I'll have the "Savage Slam". The Slam is a game animal with each of the Savage Cartridges, the 22 Savage HiPower, 250-3000 Savage, 300 Savage, and the 303 Savage.

Heading out the door in a few minutes, last day to hunt for me. We have a late season, 4th-6th. I'm taking my Savage 99 F, Feather weight take down in 303 Savage, made in 1926. If I get a deer with it today I'll have the "Savage Slam". The Slam is a game animal with each of the Savage Cartridges, the 22 Savage HiPower, 250-3000 Savage, 300 Savage, and the 303 Savage.
My dad killed his first buck with a 99 takedown in 22 hi-power.

View attachment 694603 Had to make a decision on my 15 year old Silverado since I retired last year and this is the decision. Going to use it for firewood but I’m going to be more careful loading than I was on the old one! Definitely blew all my saw money for the next couple years. I pick it up Saturday.

Looks nice man!
Love white !

I used to be EXTREMELY paranoid about my truck. Like I would nit even let my girlfriend touch it without it getting spray detailed afterwards. My love affair with my truck were all based on looks.

Now i treat my trucks like trucks. Still a love affair, but with their abilities... my 2016 meets tree branches, bushes and whatever gets thrown out and doesn’t quite make it[emoji23].

Once a truck is treated as such it is then TRULY appreciated IMO

I LOVE my truck
2016 RAM 3500 4x4 CC Long Bed 6.4 hemi

94b1f139a6186a26a45c0c49af91f7c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice man!
Love white !

I used to be EXTREMELY paranoid about my truck. Like I would nit even let my girlfriend touch it without it getting spray detailed afterwards. My love affair with my truck were all based on looks.

Now i treat my trucks like trucks. Still a love affair, but with their abilities... my 2016 meets tree branches, bushes and whatever gets thrown out and doesn’t quite make it[emoji23].

Once a truck is treated as such it is then TRULY appreciated IMO

I LOVE my truck
2016 RAM 3500 4x4 CC Long Bed 6.4 hemi

94b1f139a6186a26a45c0c49af91f7c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You haul wood and it still looks good, that means I have hope.

The way a stove burns is often linked to the chimney. I've seen several cases where people I know have replaced an old smoke dragon with a new epa compliant heater and had issues. Too many elbows, too long a horizontal run, not enough height, not using insulated pipe etc. My first and only stove is EPA with secondary burn so that's my only experience. It works well and I have none of the problems I hear guys at work complaining of. Lot of these guys cut trees in june-july, buck and split in September and start burning in October. May be a slight exaggeration but stacking and drying wood is huge. My first year I bought cut and split wood and you could hear it hiss. Now my winters wood was cut split and stacked Last year. I do own a fancy expensive moisture meter but I use the bat test . If you bang two pieces together and it doesn't sound like two baseball bats ringing off eachother, it's not dry yet. It may well burn but you're not getting the most out of your wood or your stove .

Glad I can get through the season with my pre EPA stove. Funny you bring it up I have thought of kiln like drying. Might come to that. I wouldn't go EPA until I had 3 years inside under cover.

My cousin put a Crown Royal Multi Pass OWB in this year. Will be interesting to get his opinion on that. 15k installed is a little steep for me and seems like there is just more to go wrong with them. I was impressed with the emissions. Wouldn't even bother a close nieghbor.

I have an EPA boiler and I am running wood I split last spring through it now. I built a 7x25 greenhouse to dry 6+ cords and it worked wonderfully. All my wood is under 15%. The first year was definitely a learner and I found you can burn wetter wood in the 25-30% range but you lose lots of efficiency. Even with that wet wood my neighbors can't smell smoke. It rarely smokes.

My only qualm is you get married to it a bit. It wants wood a couple times a day although I can pack it well and get 24 hours out of it. I saw the Log Boiler for the first time and I may investigate that. If a guy could cut his labor and get 4-5 days from a load that may benefit me personally a little better. I just question the efficiency.

My dad killed his first buck with a 99 takedown in 22 hi-power.
Got this nice little WV mountain deer with my 1912 22 HP with the original Malcolm scope. Although the deer was so close I used the tang sight. The scope is ofset to the left of the barrel.
YqeXwLu.jpg

Here is the 445xtorq I was gifted after a little cleaning. Only took a little to get er going. Its a 2011by the EPA sticker 50cc. My uncle passed in 2/2016 @85 years. He was pretty active still at 80 when I am guessing he bought it. His son won't use a gas saw so it probably has very few hours. Not a muscle saw but WTF it runs and I was in the market for a 50cc saw.
private image hosting
free photo upload

All the wood I burn has been split and stacked a minimum of 2 years. When the chimney sweep came this year he ran the whip up and down the chimney and less than a cup of crud fell out the bottom. He looked at me and asked if I just had it cleaned? Duh! Why are you here then. Told him it hadn’t been cleaned in 3-4 years. Told him how seasoned my wood was, he said whatever I was doing to keep it up, he had never seen a chimney that clean. I have an indoor HotBlast with all stainless chimney.

Here is the 445xtorq I was gifted after a little cleaning. Only took a little to get er going. Its a 2011by the EPA sticker 50cc. My uncle passed in 2/2016 @85 years. He was pretty active still at 80 when I am guessing he bought it. His son won't use a gas saw so it probably has very few hours. Not a muscle saw but WTF it runs and I was in the market for a 50cc saw.
private image hosting
free photo upload
By habit I grab the 445 first. Sometimes I put it back, but not usually. Great weight to power ratio for the <=16" dia. trees on which I spend most of my time.

Got this nice little WV mountain deer with my 1912 22 HP with the original Malcolm scope. Although the deer was so close I used the tang sight. The scope is ofset to the left of the barrel.
YqeXwLu.jpg
good job Joe. :rock2: took @bear1998 out this morning with his smokepole but all i could call in was a not legal broken-up fork horn. :dumb2:

Mines gonna be bad. Cleaned it after thanksgiving but it will be due again. Burned a lot of marginally dry wood this year. Burn a little trash too so the ash builds up. Bags of splitter trash too.

So I am guessing an EPA stove would be the end of that behavior.

By habit I grab the 445 first. Sometimes I put it back, but not usually. Great weight to power ratio for the <=16" dia. trees on which I spend most of my time.
My 50cc saws are the 445 and 550xp. The 550 is better/faster but the shape/ergonomics of the 445 are better.

Are VC Resolute acclaim is 20 years old theres a brand new VC in the garage from the same time frame if we ever ware this one out. Hopefully never have to deal with a modern EPA stove. FIL replaced the cat once when it failed the second time he just left it out. Other then that it just keeps heating the house.

While I was cleaning saws and sharpening chains the fire all but died. Tree service contracted to the power company was out front trimming from a bucket. I went in and filled the stove with 2" thick slabs of oak bark. Put on a pretty good smoke show. Would have thought there was a chimney fire.

Back