Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At Camp Smith the new recruits were killing the Black and King snakes. Finally, one of the older guys says to them "What the heck are you doing? Don't you know we brought the Black and King Snakes in here because they eat the Copperheads and Rattlers" (the two poisonous ones in this area).

Some people just have an abnormal fear of snakes. When I was a kid, my friend and I often kept them as pests (Garter Snakes), so I don't have that fear. Some are good, some are bad.

I don't kill any in my garden. no doubt they are garter snakes...

Duncan, that logging road has some nice tire eaters sticking out of it. Those rocks look sharp.
It took 4 tries before I could stand up for more than 15 minutes this morning, the man flu is trying to kill me. When I did manage to stay upright I had to go to my sons and change out a shower valve. Valve was only 5 years old and split at the threads. Had to cut a hole in the drywall and all, will replace that later. $200 for a shower valve and damn thing is China too. I thought Taymor was Canadian and US built but the castings are stamped China. I even checked the fitting that didn't break and it snapped clean off without hardly any pressure. I hope I get better this week so I can get back to the bush next weekend. Nothing worse that being sick all weekend.

I liked the road and surrounding country scenes...

I'm hearing ya, woods wood burn the bloody stuff, it will put out some sort of heat so all good. And it's called a shovel and a bucket for the ash, simples really (it's not like you are going to choose freezing over using a shovel and bucket hey :cheers:
Unless the smoke kills ya ;-)

Yep up in the 40's around here too over the next few days and a good week of warmer weather, which I'm not a real fan of, bring on winter I say.:laugh:
After 1/2 week of subfreezing temps the dryer trails through the woodlot were firm enough so I was able to drop, block, fiskar (will we succeed in the effort to replace "split" with "fiskar"?!), load, and haul 1/2 cord out by early afternoon. Main trail was just starting to get greasy at that time. Some of the wetter trails I didn't dare travel. Looks like a week of similar weather on the way so a very good chance of more saw therapy next weekend :)

Good! be sensible. Sit in the shop/by a stove rebuild saws, sharpen chains and restore axes, or just sit, stroke the dog, kick the cat, drink coffee or beer depending on the time of day amd watch buckin' on youtube.
Had a good weekend for that here. Echo 600 oiler fixed, Husky 455 that was straight gassed fixed with a 460 piston and cylinder, and kept the stove full of pin oak!

I got stuck into a white gum the other week which was sitting on the side of the road, hopefully it will be ready to burn next year or the year after (when she's dry enough anyway). The Little Oleomac 936 sure does a great job for a 36cc saw.

W0hQXwLh.jpg

I don't think so. I just google southern black widow and all images have the typical red hourglass on underbelly. that one seems to have 3 red dots on top...
Check Wikipedia, Juvenille Southern BW has spots on the back. I found a more definitive source, after I found the first one, and I think it said there were over 80 species of Widow Spiders. It had lots more pics, most had some sort of red spots on the back, mostly diamonds, more so than the classic hour glass on the belly. Lots of males have spots on the back too. One had red spots all over it's back, like a reverse lady bug. So, a lot of the red spots on the back might just be stage phases. I don't want to study up on them any more than I did, it creeped me out enough as is.

Check Wikipedia, Juvenille Southern BW has spots on the back. I found a more definitive source, after I found the first one, and I think it said there were over 80 species of Widow Spiders. It had lots more pics, most had some sort of red spots on the back, mostly diamonds, more so than the classic hour glass on the belly. Lots of males have spots on the back too. One had red spots all over it's back, like a reverse lady bug. So, a lot of the red spots on the back might just be stage phases. I don't want to study up on them any more than I did, it creeped me out enough as is.

thanks rf - while I tentatively disputed the type of spider based upon what I have seen and cking online, I was hoping if it was a BW, then with more info such as u have provided I could become more aware of these types of spiders. so, it does appear I was wrong, but now I know more than I did a few hours ago. thanks for your further research... I plan to ck it out further...

Sounds like me, I often find wood and I wouldn't have a clue about it's name etc, so long as she burns I'm all good:laugh:
I'm getting to be that way. Before I joined AS my FIL had me brainwashed that oak was the only firewood. Now I bring all kinds of stuff home. He complained when I filled a rack with mixed cherry,maple,hickory,and locust. Now he just goes to the racks and gets wood without asking questions. I think he enjoys not having to do any of the C/S/S work anymore.

My wife falls into that same box. She doesn't care what kind of wood it is, as long as it burns and she doesn't have to do any of the C/S/S. If I say "throw a piece of beech in there", she gives me that look (we all know the look) - she doesn't know oak from maple from pine. To her, it's all just wood. We keep a small stack of wood at the house for the day. I bring the wood up to the house, she feeds the stove. I bring up what I want to burn that day.

Latest posts

Back