Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess it stays in the woods then.
Sounds like a new movie starring Dancan; BlackSpruce Down | No spruce left behind.

But seriously, I operate a scorched Earth harvesting policy. When I'm done there is a gaping wound on the landscape, scraped raw of life ;-) Kinda have to honour the lives of the fallen, by making sure they get put to some use and hopefully get a second life as furniture or in a house or even just a temporary reprieve before being cremated in a fireplace.

Sounds like a new movie starring Dancan; BlackSpruce Down | No spruce left behind.

But seriously, I operate a scorched Earth harvesting policy. when I'm done there is a gaping wound on the landscape, scrapped raw of life ;-) Kinda have to honour the lives of the fallen, by making sure they get put to some use and hopefully get a second life as furniture or in a house or even just a temporary reprieve before being cremated in a fireplace.
I have limited space on the racks. I might cut it and stack it on skids on the landing for the owner. Pretty sure he had an OWB and will burn anything. Maybe take some for shoulder season wood.

I didn't get as far as I wanted today. Clearing my way to that oak I found I was able to get a large widow maker down. I shoulda got pix. Had it teetering in a crotch. Found a lodgepole length managed to put it in the hollow butt end and pull er down enough to slide out of the crotch. Put a chain on and pulled it down. Made a 2 buckets out of it a little short of a face cord.

Then I went and cut another bucket of boxelder. Oh crap now I have to clear the trail. It looked like this after the boxies were cut out

Then I went all cantoo on it with the loader. Then picked a few tire punches off and hauled out the boxies.

Here is the hollow oak I want to take. Not much to have but I figure it doesn't have much life left. Might as well work it up.

Guess it stays in the woods then.
It looks like Tulip Poplar, and for what it's worth, it burns fine. Starts easy, burns hot, not much ash, just burns fast. I cut some up that fell across a friends yard in a storm. Milled about 20 boards out of the big stuff, and cut up all the lap wood and took it home. I used it to get the fire going and on weekends when I was home.

It looks like Tulip Poplar, and for what it's worth, it burns fine. Starts easy, burns hot, not much ash, just burns fast. I cut some up that fell across a friends yard in a storm. Milled about 20 boards out of the big stuff, and cut up all the lap wood and took it home. I used it to get the fire going and on weekends when I was home.

It makes good camp fire/backyard fire bowl wood as well.

I didn't get as far as I wanted today. Clearing my way to that oak I found I was able to get a large widow maker down. I shoulda got pix. Had it teetering in a crotch. Found a lodgepole length managed to put it in the hollow butt end and pull er down enough to slide out of the crotch. Put a chain on and pulled it down. Made a 2 buckets out of it a little short of a face cord.

Then I went and cut another bucket of boxelder. Oh crap now I have to clear the trail. It looked like this after the boxies were cut out

Then I went all cantoo on it with the loader. Then picked a few tire punches off and hauled out the boxies.

Here is the hollow oak I want to take. Not much to have but I figure it doesn't have much life left. Might as well work it up.

You talk about tire puntures I was watching a show here called All 4 Adventures and they had 230 puntures and that was in around 18km total distance sometimes they got 3-4 puntures in 50m distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal best was 2 tires on a terra gator. Dry airflow fertilizer rig got to the end of a worked up 40 turned to go back punched it to get rpms up fast. No sooner then I get straight there I sat with the front and 1 rear tire flat 4 ton of fertilizer in the back. Ran over a broken planter disc. Let's just say then the fun started.

Rig was something like this.
nyle name meaning

Can you find any leaves under all the snow, for a good tree ID? LOL
View attachment 696974 Ok folks I need help with and identification again. I thought it was hickory but I'm no expert. Its everywhere around the gate. No black spot in the middle has me second guessing.[/QUOTE
Can you find any leaves under all that snow, for a good tree ID? LOL

Going to be a touch warm for scrounging in the next few days. 42°C today then 44°C tomorrow followed by 46°C (115°F) on Wednesday before cooling off to 41°C and 40°C (104°F) for Thursday and Friday. That'll be a relief!
No thanks. Only ever had 3 straight days of 40+ and that put me in (a Chinese) hospital. It should be a worksafe rule that we all have 3 hr siestas in the arvos. Have been trying to find a good helmet/earmuff combo. Most definitely need a vented helmet like the Petzl vertex but not cheap. I also find it rather unpalatable that we have to change them after three years.

Here's a video of that mystery gum tree I took for all you snowed-in stir-crazy cabin-fevered Northerners.

Where I said those logs on the ground under the gum were from the second tree I dropped that day I meant they were from the first of only two up to that point. Don't laugh at my stump. It's only the second tree back from almost six months out and the tree was leaning way over the fenceline and gum doesn't swing like softwoods and, and, and I suck.

If any of you Oz fellas know what it is please sing out. Best suggestion I have so far is Angophora subvelutina

Here's a video of that mystery gum tree I took for all you snowed-in stir-crazy cabin-fevered Northerners.

Where I said those logs on the ground under the gum were from the second tree I dropped that day I meant they were from the first of only two up to that point. Don't laugh at my stump. It's only the second tree back from almost six months out and the tree was leaning way over the fenceline and gum doesn't swing like softwoods and, and, and I suck.

That's not a bad looking stump. The tree is down and nobody got hurt. That's all that matters. It's always difficult to fell a tree that does not have a perfectly round base.

If any of you Oz fellas know what it is please sing out. Best suggestion I have so far is Angophora subvelutina

Sounds like you were sucking them in at the start of that video, Kiwi. There's only one cure. Cutting lots of trees and posting the pics and videos up here. Thanks for posting this one! However, I would have gone back and tidied up the stump before I took the video so it looked like I did an awesome job all along :laugh:.

Can't help much with the tree ID, though the wood looks very pale for a red gum. Fresh cut, all the red gum species I know are dark red. Lots of little branches springing out of the main trunk for a eucalypt. Dunno.

Way out of shape.
Yeah, not sure on 'red gum' now. If it's subvelutina then I've read exceptional to find one over 35m tall and can't find anything about the timber uses. Will just open it up with the mill and see what there is. Unless it's wonderful, it'll probably be turned into those aforementioned bush cabins (framing, flooring, cladding) and we'll have to see how long it lasts.

err no. knocked up, in the family way, we use that. knocked up, give you a bell....err no, not ever heard that. are you confusing it with 'hook up'? which can just mean get together for a beer etc...although not these days.

maybe times have changed. I remember my dad telling me about it while we was living in UK, but then that was late 50's. now the lady at the office from the UK, she knew... and that was about early 1980's...

err no. knocked up, in the family way, we use that. knocked up, give you a bell....err no, not ever heard that. are you confusing it with 'hook up'? which can just mean get together for a beer etc...although not these days.

Nope. I have run into that more than once in the meaning "give you a call"

View attachment 696974 Ok folks I need help with and identification again. I thought it was hickory but I'm no expert. Its everywhere around the gate. No black spot in the middle has me second guessing.
I'm late to the party but I'll say poplar James. Split a piece,it should look kinda of greenish. in your second pic with the cherry log there is some small standing poplar trees.

My new 880 Makes my brother in laws 441 look like a toy.

1A56C2FF-66A6-4AE3-A808-47CB00620236.jpeg

7CC1D026-105A-4E42-B1E0-15B2CB7A1BE0.jpeg

Got some ash on Sunday. It was a far walk from the truck, behind a row of townhouses so I brought my cart.

First time using my ms880. Ran well, that saw is strong, I can easily control my BIL’s 441 in the first pic and my old 660, but this thing puts a little bit of fear in me. Very aggressive with a 25” bar, I know once I put the longer bar on it, it’ll calm down some.

Latest posts

Back