Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BFS, Those 30 year old logs should be real easy to split! [emoji106] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some 30 + year old firewood. scrounged, cut, split and stacked... over 30 years ago. by me. mid to back of the wood shed. never got back that far, other wood fell in my lap. i'll try to get a pix or two asap ~ I dig some out now n then... need to burn it all, actually. its burns ok, prefers some hot coals... looks more or less like the day I stacked it there... (under wraps) but doesn't burn as well as recently seasoned oak firewood. its all oak.

Yeah dead easy mate, a lot of em just fall apart (that's one of the reasons I like Stringy, it's easy to split, burns well and puts out good heat. I got some other stuff last week which wasn't going to split no matter how many times you hit it (my mate hit one piece a good 20-30 times and hardly made a dent in it:angry: so the Jonsereds 621 got called into action to sort it out! 90% of this stuff I got yesterday will go straight into the heater without having to worry about splitting which is a great thing and I often try and cut limbs for that reason, saves me a lot of hard work and it's usually dry and ready to burn so win win.:D

I like limbs, too. usually firewood size, no splitting required... lol

I have some 30 + year old firewood. scrounged, cut, split and stacked... over 30 years ago. by me. mid to back of the wood shed. never got back that far, other wood fell in my lap. i'll try to get a pix or two asap ~ I dig some out now n then... need to burn it all, actually. its burns ok, prefers some hot coals... looks more or less like the day I stacked it there... (under wraps) but doesn't burn as well as recently seasoned oak firewood. its all oak.
You better burn it before it disintegrates! ;- )

Well, if my Dad were still alive he would have turned 100 today. Surly part of the Greatest Generation, he grew up during the depression, was in the reserves when WW II broke out, .

same here MM... my dad was born Dec 1919 - passed on to the eternal hunting grounds at 88 years...

I like limbs, too. usually firewood size, no splitting required... lol

Bloody oath, I don't mind some of the bigger stuff but it depends on what type of tree it's from cos some is easy to split and other stuff needs dynamite to break it up:D and I ain't got no dynamite or any real interest in dealing with firewood like that unless I have access to a hydro log splitter.

Bloody oath, I don't mind some of the bigger stuff but it depends on what type of tree it's from cos some is easy to split and other stuff needs dynamite to break it up:D and I ain't got no dynamite or any real interest in dealing with firewood like that unless I have access to a hydro log splitter.

I have split some fresh oak before, 12-14" or so diam, that taxed my splitter. wouldn't split it. first time ever. fresh, wet; tight grains! so I changed the oil, fresh plug, air cleaner... and oiled the wedge point and the to split location in the chunk... it split then. so now if I am splitting... I keep some gear oil on the ready just for such times. its not often, but at times... makes the difference. I get a bit of a kick out of it... I can hear the splitter engine starting to lug, it has gone into hi pressure... and so I back off. I don't abuse my equipment! and I paint on some oil... wedge... the the wood... then like a hot knife thru warm butta'! :yes:

also, I always keep my I-beam wet with an oil solution I make up as I go...

I have split some fresh oak before, 12-14" or so diam, that taxed my splitter. wouldn't split it. first time ever. fresh, wet; tight grains! so I changed the oil, fresh plug, air cleaner... and oiled the wedge point and the to split location in the chunk... it split then. so now if I am splitting... I keep some gear oil on the ready just for such times. its not often, but at times... makes the difference. I get a bit of a kick out of it... I can hear the splitter engine starting to lug, it has gone into hi pressure... and so I back off. I don't abuse my equipment! and I paint on some oil... wedge... the the wood... then like a hot knife thru warm butta'! :yes:

I think the problem with this stuff is the twist in the grain as such, that and the stringy type nature of the fibre really make for bloody hard work.

I think my mates broken the wedge thing off on his 40 or 50t log splitter before (I'd say from Box of some sort) there's some bloody hard wood out there that's for sure, me I'm happy to have the stuff that doesn't need splitting and if it does it has to be easy to split, it's just a PITA dealing with wood that needs either a chainsaw or Hydrolic Log Splitter to split it.

Exact reason I bought a big 30 ton. I have put the nastiest stuff I could find on it and it will slice through a big knot. I try not to do that on purpose often. Alot of times those big knotty pieces fall apart into junk if I try to split them so I try to "filet" the strait grain meat off the side of the knot and leave it intact. Big knotty stuff burns good but I gotta atleast knock it down to a size that will fit in the stove

Just as i was readin this it came on the morning news James.
They tried to tell me I couldn't go past the fire line. Eventually they realised I wasn't leaving till I got to make sure Ma and Pa were ok. An older guy with the fire police let me go when the rest weren't looking. Just realised this morning that older guy is my neighbor and recognized me.

We've finally got our very own danger ranger last week after it was getting a few bits and pieces stuck on it. There'll be more stuff in due course.

5th Mar 2.jpg

It can easily transport two Cowkids with the tonneau cover on.

5th Mar 1.jpg

We took it out for its maiden voyage on dirt yesterday scouting out some future campsites in our area.

12th Mar 1.jpg

Part of the road out was heavily corrugated and the back end was very skatey in 2WD but better in 4WD. It was better again with a couple of sticks of scrounge in the back.

12th Mar 2.jpg

It's mountain ash, killed in the 2003 bushfires that went through here. A lighter eucalypt hardwood it burns nicely and splits very easily. I think I might dice this up into 2 inch thick splits to get a new fire up to the point that it can take the bigger stuff I like to put in there.

12th Mar 3.jpg

:)

We've finally got our very own danger ranger last week after it was getting a few bits and pieces stuck on it. There'll be more stuff in due course.

View attachment 722224

It can easily transport two Cowkids with the tonneau cover on.

View attachment 722223

We took it out for its maiden voyage on dirt yesterday scouting out some future campsites in our area.

View attachment 722226

Part of the road out was heavily corrugated and the back end was very skatey in 2WD but better in 4WD. It was better again with a couple of sticks of scrounge in the back.

View attachment 722227

It's mountain ash, killed in the 2003 bushfires that went through here. A lighter eucalypt hardwood it burns nicely and splits very easily. I think I might dice this up into 2 inch thick splits to get a new fire up to the point that it can take the bigger stuff I like to put in there.

View attachment 722228

:)
Love the headache rack on the new truck! :cheers:

Back