Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have around 25 trailers and wagons but only two that have 4 wheels and steering like the ones I haul logs with behind the grapple. The others would all be too heavy on that long tongue. Right now it's windy as all heck out and supposed to change over to rain tomorrow. I spent 4 hours in a 3' high attic space installing tinwork on Friday and most of the day today playing in the snow with trees. My back is toast so tomorrow I will be at my buddies for a couple of hours only and then home to rest before a long road trip and service work all next week. Or if it isn't raining I might split 32" wood.

I have the same cart but yellow, I like your runflats :)

hi - if you mean my rear wheels?... off my mower's front wheels. I don't throw much out. lol. both have 1/2" axles. one of my rear tires gave up to some UV's. and I was in a hurry, so tried to see if they would fit. I do need a spacer, but for slow and ez... worked great. and of course, never go flat! lol when I get some time will take OE wheel apart and swap tires n tubes... or, since I have 2 new wheels for mower, but not used. I may put them on and use my current mower wheels on cart... but in any event, the old mower wheels did the job! :D

the cart is a Harbor Fgt item...

Went out today to a mates place to cut a bit of firewood. It's Stringy Bark that's been dead a good 30yrs or more, some of the logs were too far gone to be worth using as firewood but there was still plenty of good bits to get out of some of the logs I cut up.

rrkxrvdl.jpg

ia0g3UEl.jpg

i9JX3Ecl.jpg

YB2deTal.jpg

YFednYTl.jpg

6Uupxofl.jpg

H4s1AJXl.jpg

Went out today to a mates place to cut a bit of firewood. It's Stringy Bark that's been dead a good 30yrs or more, some of the logs were too far gone to be worth using as firewood but there was still plenty of good bits to get out of some of the logs I cut up.

rrkxrvdl.jpg

ia0g3UEl.jpg

i9JX3Ecl.jpg

YB2deTal.jpg

YFednYTl.jpg

6Uupxofl.jpg

H4s1AJXl.jpg

Good to burn tomorrow by the look of it BFS. If it wasn't 30°C+ that is. Man, I can't wait to get out and make some BTUs.

Good to burn tomorrow by the look of it BFS. If it wasn't 30°C+ that is. Man, I can't wait to get out and make some BTUs.

She'd wannabe, been dead at least 30yrs acording to my mate who's uncle ring barked em all those years ago apparently. I'm with ya mate, I can't wait for the temps to plumet so I can start working on global warming, oh hang on it's climate change now isn't it, I'm looking forward to changing the climate in the house this Winter. :D

good for you JM! :D you make it sound like mere 'child's play!' lol... here is a round of :clap: :clap: for you! especially since I don't even like hauling in 40# feed sacks! lol.....
I wouldn't call it easy. At 75 pounds your getting close to half what I weigh. I was starting to feel it when I was done loading that. Iv cut a lot of sugars out of my diet and I'm down around 170 again so hopefully the energy level is higher this year.

Put 270 km on the snoscooter yesterday. That's about 160 miles for those of y'all who don't habla metric. My sledding buddy remarked on my ability to remember which trails to take, I thought about it and I remember a lot of them by trees I see. It was -15 C yesterday morning and 4 degrees above freezing now with rain. After a brief fight with winter, spring will be upon us again. Hopefully a short muddy season and then firm up for scrounging season. I already have my eye on a couple dead elm down the road and my new splitter needs a good test.
21609b8486050d3c0cb318f8523232b9.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Put 270 km on the snoscooter yesterday. That's about 160 miles for those of y'all who don't habla metric. My sledding buddy remarked on my ability to remember which trails to take, I thought about it and I remember a lot of them by trees I see. It was -15 C yesterday morning and 4 degrees above freezing now with rain. After a brief fight with winter, spring will be upon us again. Hopefully a short muddy season and then firm up for scrounging season. I already have my eye on a couple dead elm down the road and my new splitter needs a good test.
21609b8486050d3c0cb318f8523232b9.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Awesome! Yeah, weather seems to get better as of today in NB too.

I never realized how heavy it was till another member pointed out to me that what I thought were small rounds were close to 75 pounds a piece. He was surprised I was throwing them in the truck by hand.
Yeah, even after I noodled the rounds, I would bet that some of the chunks were still in the 70-90 pound range. The low deck of the trailer was very nice. Run the wheelbarrow up to it and dump the wood right into the trailer. Push it around and stack it as needed.

I'm going to make today a cutting and clearing day - including that 2nd Mulberry that is farther back on the property. I'll rent the trailer later this week or this weekend and run loads.

Yeah, even after I noodled the rounds, I would bet that some of the chunks were still in the 70-90 pound range. The low deck of the trailer was very nice. Run the wheelbarrow up to it and dump the wood right into the trailer. Push it around and stack it as needed.

I'm going to make today a cutting and clearing day - including that 2nd Mulberry that is farther back on the property. I'll rent the trailer later this week or this weekend and run loads.
Don't pass up the smaller dead limbs Bobby. They can be almost dry enough to burn now. Cut this about a week ago and around 10% moisture now.
20190310_122953.jpg

BFS, Those 30 year old logs should be real easy to split! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah dead easy mate, a lot of em just fall apart (that's one of the reasons I like Stringy, it's easy to split, burns well and puts out good heat. I got some other stuff last week which wasn't going to split no matter how many times you hit it (my mate hit one piece a good 20-30 times and hardly made a dent in it:angry: so the Jonsereds 621 got called into action to sort it out! 90% of this stuff I got yesterday will go straight into the heater without having to worry about splitting which is a great thing and I often try and cut limbs for that reason, saves me a lot of hard work and it's usually dry and ready to burn so win win.:D

Latest posts

Back