ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Mate sent me this the other day, knowing I was sick...and he was fishing.
    I may have edited it a wee bit.
    wanker.jpg

2. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

A pic of the underside, and a scale drawing of my inletting (1" deep).

Attached Files:

3. KiwiBro

Thanks Mike. Are the top pieces epoxied together or can they move independently? Are the cross braces glued/epoxied?

I ask because I've never seen an exterior table stay put even when the cross braces are glued, especially if the top pieces are laminated so it's one big area. I've always allowed them to move, so maybe that's why I've never seen 'em stay put :) Will be very keen to learn how your one works out after a few years of use and weather.

Looks good!

4. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

Firewood can wait a bit then. The firewood scrounging thread is the most appropriate place to provide progress reports.

Go you good thing :yes:.

5. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

Who would do that to a poor bed-ridden bloke?

Well, yes, we all would.

[Cricket World Cup derail] Hey, you guys will have 25 million extra supporters for Sunday's match after we got thumped last night. Credit where it's due @LondonNeil, England were way too good for us all round in the semi. However, Aussies and Kiwis might squabble and fight but when it comes to the crunch, we have to stick with our brothers over the ditch. Go New Zealand!

6. KiwiBro

Yeah mate, we all know the poms are about the worst winners imaginable. Utterly unbearable. So hopefully we get up over 'em in the final.

7. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

Sorry, I posted more detail on another forum.

Everything is glued together with Loctite PL Premium (3X). It does not match the wood color, but is very strong.

In addition, about every 6" on the board seams I drill a small pocket hole (5/16) and angle in a 2" deck screw. The screws hold things in place, as PL Premium will expand when it dries (24 hrs), and you don't want it pushing things a part. PL Premium alone is strong enough to hold everything, but the cross pieces are very important to keep the wood from cupping. (The one piece pedestals also help with that). This wood was not quarter sawn, and wants to cup on the center line.

I flattened both of the end pieces by cutting the back 3/4 through with the circular saw, glueing (with PL Premium), clamping, then screwing (same procedure as seams). Worked very well. Just monitor for "flat" as you tighten the clamps. (see pic)

Pedestals and cross braces are also glued with the PL Premium, and fastened with 3" deck screws.

Attached Files:

8. svk

svk A little bit of everything

Again, very nice.

9. sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun Addicted to ArboristSite

We don't have a dealer in town but there are 2 in Isanti. Am gonna hit the JD dealer version for the tractor battery, couple chains and drool on a few saws. The CO-OP has Husky down there might swing in there for some small parts.

10. Be Stihl

Be Stihl ArboristSite Member

Well, I went back and reinstalled my wood stove. I put it in during winter so a few things were left out such as chimney liner insulation and a proper block off plate. So I got the supplies and insulated the liner, insulated the block off plate I fabricated from 16ga SS. Installed 6” more of stove pipe to bring it out away from the fireplace opening more. Replaced the rope gaskets and got a Tea Kettle to put some moisture in the air.
    Now I’m just waiting to see if the extra work pays off. Last winter the stove would put off some serious heat but it was contained in the living room and a lot was heating the masonry. I only have 1,000 feet to heat but have vaulted ceilings so I hope that the upgrade in insulation will allow a more efficient burn and better heat throughout the house.
    Anyway, I owe a great deal to all of you here. For when I started this whole wood heat process I was ignorant of so much. I have learned from reading - what type saw to buy, wood to cut, how to CSS, properly use my time and energy to save money and enjoy it at the same time! Huge Thanks to you all!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Logger nate

Logger nate ArboristSite Guru

No wood on the back rack??
    Nice bike, I like the hitch hauler too.
    Wow that is really nice Mike!

12. steved

steved ArboristSite Guru

I've had a busy few weeks that haven't included firewood...as hot as it has been, it's been pretty far out of my mind.

I sold my 1953 Dodge M37 project last weekend, figured I'd never get around to restoring it. Went to a military family in Virginia, he wanted one since he was seven.

I decided that I could handle a project that just needed TLC, so I've decided to find a 1st generation Dodge Cummins. And that hunt has taken my time...think I found one, just got to get time to look it over. Want a toy I can drive and use...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. LondonNeil

LondonNeil Addicted to ArboristSite

hmm, we started slow and have improved over the tournament but still time to throw it away!

14. svk

svk A little bit of everything

Hey guys. That picture of dude with the bull moose in the skidding harness that circles the internet....is that actually Clint or were guys just joking about that?

15. sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun Addicted to ArboristSite

Finished splitting!

[​IMG]

Guesstimate 1.5 cords with the 4 bucket loads I hauled out back. Not bad for what was essentially 1/2 of a tree.

16. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

I always figured it was @mainewoods. How else wood you scrounge wood in Maine when snow is a$$hole deep to a moose?:surprised3:

17. KiwiBro

The black caps have perfected the art of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Should be an interesting game.

18. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

It's only 1257 miles, 19 hours 3 minutes. I'd drive out for a good beer. No Fosters mind you. It's an OK beer, but for an extended drive, I want a GOOD beer.

19. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I was looking for a nice 1st gen Cummins for a long while. I found a 92 or 93 that had been garaged since new, club cab, 4X4, power every thing. 36,000 original miles. Looked like absolute brand new. The eldery guy that owned it had a 2" ball on the bumper and pulled a small travel trailer with it. I watched it on ebay for several days and it had 41 bids and was up over $18,000. I went away for the weekend and forgot to hit "watching" so I never saw what the end price was. Nice ones bring good money. I like that old M37 also.

20. dancan

dancan Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !

Call Nate , he'll find you a nice F250 ,,, :laugh: