Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing you thought of it, I've seen many tailgates hit by the jack or the trailer, I hit the doors on my suburban last summer when I was going to pull straight forward and then I changed my mind and did a tight u-turn in a parking lot helping a neighbor get firewood. I shouldn't have been there in the first place, and I realized it after about 20 min, but continued on :dumb:. It's a similar situation to what was discussed earlier about felling trees while tired, it wasn't a good idea at all :(.

That's great to have that experience, I've moved a lot of people, they always call the guy with a truck, trailer, and the guy with a CDL :baba:. It's quite rewarding when everything goes well, when it doesn't :baba:.
Sounds like you have a plan, hope all goes well.
Can you get us a picture of it in there, I'm pretty excited for you. I'd like to get rid of the table we have and get a heavy duty one like yours, I've looked at them for yrs and thought about someday building one, not sure when someday will come lol.
Used to have horses and of course a few horse trailers. I swear I moved every one of my ex's friends, family and one aunt twice.

Used to have horses and of course a few horse trailers. I swear I moved every one of my ex's friends, family and one aunt twice.
Wow, I'm surprised they wanted their stuff in there :eek:.
I tell people I'm not moving their stuff on my open trailer, it ain't like hauling wood, my mower, or the tractor, I don't have a big net setup to hold it all on there. They still call because they don't understand it's not the same, they get it after I tell them I'd be happy to help when they get a truck or trailer from
U-haul :D.

We have been talking about replacing the beat up hand me down table that is up there for a couple of years now, as the stacked and stickered chainsawed boards were drying.

Thought I would get some help doing this, but everyone is so busy, so I just decided to do it myself this year. I use my wood trailer as a work bench, and conjured up my own methods of doing it.

I like to use Loctite PL Premium because it is strong as heck and it expands, filling the voids. But it does not exactly match the wood color, so it is only good if you want that rustic look. You also have to clamp and/or screw the boards together so the glue does not push them apart as it expands (24 hr dry time).

Two chainsawed boards will rarely mate exactly, and will often "move" a little as soon as they are no longer stacked and stickered. Since I don't have (or want to use) a planer (I like saw marks in the wood) I'll shim one board or the other till the center of the boards are flush. I will then glue and screw them together in the center (I use a 5/16 drill bit to make pocket holes for 2" deck screws).

Now that the center is flush, I put C clamps (over a piece of wood) to get both ends flush, then screw them. This method may not be perfect, but it gets them pretty close. I then chisel any high ridges that remain, and follow up with the belt sander (80 grit). I then blow it clean with the air hose, and apply the finish of choice (stain or epoxy).

I have also found that putting cross pieces in to prevent the wood from cupping (as soon as possible) is very important.

The table I made for my Daughter cupped so badly after I gave it to her I had to take it back and remove the cupping. Conversely, the work bench I made for my Step Son never cupped. Both were two pieces wide - Black Oak, but the work bench had cross pieces installed, the table did not … LIVE and LEARN!

When you guys are tired of playing with toy scopes get you one of these. Best value for the money I have found. I have a 6x on my 17 and a 10x on my 243. I have dialed to 1,000yds and back down to 100yds and its dead. Nuts. Make sure you get mil turrets. I dont think they make MOA reticles yet.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

When you guys are tired of playing with toy scopes get you one of these. Best value for the money I have found. I have a 6x on my 17 and a 10x on my 243. I have dialed to 1,000yds and back down to 100yds and its dead. Nuts. Make sure you get mil turrets. I dont think they make MOA reticles yet.

When you get tired of spending your money on yourself send some my way:laughing:.
That sure does look nice, sure it looks just as nice looking thru it, and all things considered it's not to bad of a price. When it comes down to it it's a matter of choices, I could sell a 353 and buy one if I chose to, but I'll probably keep the saw for now.

How thick is the top, in one of the earlier pictures I thought it was only a couple inches, but after seeing the measurements for the legs it seemed like it must be thicker.
Looks like it should ride well in there.
Hope you have enough muscle at the cabin to get it inside.

guess I know where!... lol

look fwd to seeing it in place. I like rustic! seems it is! lol :D

I also found out what was living under the shed! Wife begged me to spare him, she thinks he will re locate. I told her that de-scenting the dogs will be fully her responsibility. Thankfully, I was able to free him w/o getting sprayed … no small feat!

zzmm.jpg

how did u trap it? any special bait used?... how did u get it/let it out?....

more oak raining down just down the street. not a bad haul, given couple mins work. i'd say 2/3rds - 3/4s of a 10 cu ' bucket...

enough for my needs! lol. going to have a special campfire in memory of our friend and AS member Sagetown who passed on the other evening.

think this scrounge will be the fuel for that fire. 'film at 11:00!'

R I P Sage !

Strictly from a personal note, it's difficult to hear when one of the few guys that usually agreed with you on this forum leaves us. That means that now I'm more likely cornered by the rest of you . . . . er, . . . um, . . . participants!

Philbert
I think most the time we're cornered it's because we've backed ourselves in there.
We will all disagree with one another at some point(some more than others), but it's important that we can put those things aside and "encourage one another daily as long as it's called today" just as Larry did.
He will be missed.

When you get tired of spending your money on yourself send some my way:laughing:.
That sure does look nice, sure it looks just as nice looking thru it, and all things considered it's not to bad of a price. When it comes down to it it's a matter of choices, I could sell a 353 and buy one if I chose to, but I'll probably keep the saw for now.
Those are my cheap ones. My 338 has a $1,500 Mark IV on it that I bought used for $1,000.

more oak raining down just down the street. not a bad haul, given couple mins work. i'd say 2/3rds - 3/4s of a 10 cu ' bucket...

enough for my needs! lol. going to have a special campfire in memory of our friend and AS member Sagetown who passed on the other evening.

think this scrounge will be the fuel for that fire. 'film at 11:00!'

R I P Sage !
Sorry to hear this. Sagetown was one of the first members to talk to me when I joined AS a few years ago.

When you can take down a squirrel at 100 yards with a supper calibri with open sights then get back to me. I've done it 3 times.:rock2:

Cleaned up my mess. Now spose I have to seed in some grass this fall. Just what everyone needs more lawn to cut.

I want to go down the line and cut out all the box elders leaning into yard. But that's more than I want to tackle right now. Rather wait for frost on those.

Back