Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carp, zebra mussels, starlings, feral European pigs, emerald ash borer, Dutch elm disease and on and on. You'd think after a couple 100 years we'd learn!!!

Don't forget abut cudzoo that was brought over to prevent erosion in the mountains. It took over everything, even the trees.

That may work, my son would be bumming if I went with the girls while he was at camp lol.
Will there be a local fair or event of some sort to hang out at for a day up there, or is it just their annual shindig.
Not a shindig, just a bunch of noise. Grayling air field will be busy, some back roads will be closed. Ranges will be closed. Security has been increased around the camp with fences, walls and upgraded entrances. Upgrades have taken place over recent years. The shindig is Ausable canoe race, next weekend. Then the Bud Bash.

I never knew that, doesn't sound to tasty to me :eek:.
I've noticed them eating the black gas caps on my gas cans, only on the gas cans from what I can tell, maybe its coincidental and they happen to be soy based. They have also eaten them on two small toro 2-stroke snow blowers that were on my front porch :nofunny:.
I got the engine all back together and installed and it's missing on the back cylinder(weak spark), that's the one right by the wires they chewed up. I don't think the wires in the picture are the problem though because the other coil gets power thru that one and its working, but they may have chewed thru another wire. Hopefully I can figure it out tomorrow, and I'm hoping it's not hard to find, it's hot out there :baba:.
I have read that Honda makes a spray to deter critters from chewing the wires on their cars...they had a real issue at one point.

Like I said, they stripped the insulation from many feet of trailer wiring one winter...essentially the only thing they didn't eat was the lights and connectors. They also chewed the speed sensor wire on my Silverado...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure how long the drive would be but Conneaut, OH has a D-Day reenactment every year.
Is that why you're watching CL over there :).
Monday we went walleye fishing not far from there as the crow flies, we were fishing in Ohio water so we had to get a day pass.
Sunrise looking that way.
Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 10.13.27 PM.png
Managed to get the only dead seagull :eek:.
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 11.47.10 PM.png
The water was over the dock, he said it was a bit lower a couple days earlier and it was at the highest recorded level, so it's a good ways over that now.
We had to put on rubber boots just to get to the boat lol. It was a nice day out on the water, all 6 of us limited out, I got zero pictures of the fish. To me it wasn't much of a challenge surfing little fish over the top of the water with 30lb test, hanging with my buddy and his family was better than the fishing :).
That black boat sure looked nice :sweet:, not a cheap one though :envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:.
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 11.46.35 PM.png

Don't forget abut cudzoo that was brought over to prevent erosion in the mountains. It took over everything, even the trees.
Wasn't that imported to the Savannah River Site to experiment with erosion control and it got loose from there?

Is that why you're watching CL over there :).
Monday we went walleye fishing not far from there as the crow flies, we were fishing in Ohio water so we had to get a day pass.
Sunrise looking that way.
View attachment 748267
Managed to get the only dead seagull :eek:.
View attachment 748268
The water was over the dock, he said it was a bit lower a couple days earlier and it was at the highest recorded level, so it's a good ways over that now.
We had to put on rubber boots just to get to the boat lol. It was a nice day out on the water, all 6 of us limited out, I got zero pictures of the fish. To me it wasn't much of a challenge surfing little fish over the top of the water with 30lb test, hanging with my buddy and his family was better than the fishing :).
That black boat sure looked nice :sweet:, not a cheap one though :envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:.
View attachment 748269
You perch fishing?

I have read that Honda makes a spray to deter critters from chewing the wires on their cars...they had a real issue at one point.

Like I said, they stripped the insulation from many feet of trailer wiring one winter...essentially the only thing they didn't eat was the lights and connectors. They also chewed the speed sensor wire on my Silverado...

That's crazy.
I actually bought a Honda EU2000i generator that they ate the wiring in, it was in great condition otherwise.
I should probably swap that wiring out from the one I have with like 3000 hrs on it :surprised3:.

I also forgot, they like fresh Rustoleum paints now...just got my wood trailer done, left it out to really cure before putting it to work, and the little buggers chewed the paint off every corner...

I don't space fresh treated limber because it's gonna shrink anyway and leave a gap. If you gap it then after it drys the space is too big.
Not much. I’ve built multiple decks with green lumber. It doesn’t shrink much at all.

I gap my boards at 1/2” because it helps crap fall through the cracks.

Where does he charter out of?
Will be out of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. I gave him all of my salmon gear, we used to fish Rogers city, Rockport, Manistee and Frankfort. Had a 23ft Crestliner hardtop that trailered well, it was a salmon killing machine. I only gave him 10 downrigger rods and 4 dipsy ones, 5 boxes of spoons, plugs,dodges, hootches, stackers, meat rigs and a full 8 foot pickup box of crap I had. He has been salmon fishing since he was 5. After lake Huron crashed, it was all lake Michigan, salmon,lakers (yuke) and steelhead. I do miss fishing with him a little.

The Oak Table, and Hickory Bench are in the Cabin. (see pic)

The 22 with the Pine Ridge 2.5 X 7 X 32 scope shot great, we were both impressed!

We also cut some Maple and Black Birch firewood. It will be the first time burning Black Birch up there (we burn mostly Ash, Cherry, and a little Maple). I have always split everything up there by hand, but that Black Birch is tough stuff. It splits, but takes a lot of extra whacks.

My lifeguard stand (on the back of the property) usually gives me great views of the Cannonsville Reservoir, but has become over grown this year. Some of the trees blocking the view are Red Oak, and that is one of the few places they are growing on my property, so I will have to see if I can restore some of the view w/o taking out the Oaks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190719_142446453.jpg
    IMG_20190719_142446453.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 32
Wasn't that imported to the Savannah River Site to experiment with erosion control and it got loose from there?

It was imported but I don't know where they started planting it.
Tallow trees have takes over down here. They were imported by Teas nursery back in the 1940's. If you don't mow your field every year they will take over and they grow very fast.
The birds distribute the seeds everywhere.

Not a shindig, just a bunch of noise. Grayling air field will be busy, some back roads will be closed. Ranges will be closed. Security has been increased around the camp with fences, walls and upgraded entrances. Upgrades have taken place over recent years. The shindig is Ausable canoe race, next weekend. Then the Bud Bash.
I see, so they probably won't let me in for a "private" tour lol.
Sure you're still looking forward to the bud bash :cool::laughing:.
My son fishes for walleye, salmon, trout and perch, starting a charter service with a 35ft Viking. He has a six pack ,100 ton captains license and master tow. View attachment 748270 View attachment 748271
Very nice, where was that taken.
We had about 6 nice ones like that, the rest were keepers and a little bigger. I can see Erie having some great walleye in a few yrs.
These guys fished heavy gear, 30lb test is bigger than I use on kings in the river, heck I run 25lb backing on my fly reel for kings.
I was all good with it for the first couple hrs, but to me once everyone has some fish in the cooler lets gear down a little and enjoy the fight.
Will be out of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. I gave him all of my salmon gear, we used to fish Rogers city, Rockport, Manistee and Frankfort. Had a 23ft Crestliner hardtop that trailered well, it was a salmon killing machine. I only gave him 10 downrigger rods and 4 dipsy ones, 5 boxes of spoons, plugs,dodges, hootches, stackers, meat rigs and a full 8 foot pickup box of crap I had. He has been salmon fishing since he was 5. After lake Huron crashed, it was all lake Michigan, salmon,lakers (yuke) and steelhead. I do miss fishing with him a little.
That's all you gave him lol.
What's wrong with those slimy lakers :eek:.
Where do you fish now, I like the pere marquette and the muskegon for trout and salmon.
Been doing a lot of smallie fishing this yr.
The rivers are almost down to normal levels right now and I'm able to hit some fun ones finally.
Last time we were out we got this one.
.Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 10.58.56 PM.png

It was imported but I don't know where they started planting it.
Tallow trees have takes over down here. They were imported by Teas nursery back in the 1940's. If you don't mow your field every year they will take over and they grow very fast.
The birds distribute the seeds everywhere.
Bamboo too.
Not thinking they were trying to fix anything here with it, but it can get out of hand.

The Oak Table, and Hickory Bench are in the Cabin. (see pic)

The 22 with the Pine Ridge 2.5 X 7 X 32 scope shot great, we were both impressed!

We also cut some Maple and Black Birch firewood. It will be the first time burning Black Birch up there (we burn mostly Ash, Cherry, and a little Maple). I have always split everything up there by hand, but that Black Birch is tough stuff. It splits, but takes a lot of extra whacks.

My lifeguard stand (on the back of the property) usually gives me great views of the Cannonsville Reservoir, but has become over grown this year. Some of the trees blocking the view are Red Oak, and that is one of the few places they are growing on my property, so I will have to see if I can restore some of the view w/o taking out the Oaks.
Looks very nice Mike.
Sure there will be many great memories made at that table, good times :).

I see, so they probably won't let me in for a "private" tour lol.
Sure you're still looking forward to the bud bash :cool::laughing:.

Very nice, where was that taken.
We had about 6 nice ones like that, the rest were keepers and a little bigger. I can see Erie having some great walleye in a few yrs.
These guys fished heavy gear, 30lb test is bigger than I use on kings in the river, heck I run 25lb backing on my fly reel for kings.
I was all good with it for the first couple hrs, but to me once everyone has some fish in the cooler lets gear down a little and enjoy the fight.

That's all you gave him lol.
What's wrong with those slimy lakers :eek:.
Where do you fish now, I like the pere marquette and the muskegon for trout and salmon.
Been doing a lot of smallie fishing this yr.
The rivers are almost down to normal levels right now and I'm able to hit some fun ones finally.
Last time we were out we got this one.
.View attachment 748277
Now only fish with my son a couple times a year, up until last year fished Frankfort on a yearly outing. I bought my fifth wheel he bought his lund baron. He pasted and I had promised to sell his boat and gear for his wife, so I did. A lot of fish stories between him, his son, my son and myself. His son never went out, that he didn't get sea sick, chummed the waters. Good times. That's a nice smalley and a good fight. Enjoy your time with your children, it passes too fast.

When i was up visiting my uncle we rented a canoe and did a trip on the Ausable. Beautiful back in the mid 70's. Went to the Fred Bear muesum when it was in Grayling.

Back