Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A half crown, before my time that. Born in 73 I've only known decimalised currency but it is wasn't until..oooo errrr... Maybe the 90s or 00s that the royal mint resized our 5 and 10 pence coins. Until then the half shilling and shilling had stayed in circulation as 5p and 10p so I know their worth. A crown is have to Google, but it's more than a shilling and less than a different sovereign (£1).

Anyone want to partake in a scroungers deal-sniffing treasure hunt? I figure some of us might have some extra spare time during our quarantines and perhaps we could collectively sniff out some fantastic deals on gear fellow scroungers need. Harnessing the power of the collective sort of thing.

Perhaps we could post what we need and see what the collective can find? Maybe @Cowboy254 could detail exactly what B&C he might be after, to kick-start this initiative? If it's a 36" 3/8 .063 for his 661 then, for example, comstocklogging have lightweight tsumuras for US$110 and powermatch for US$80. Coonasawchain have 36" GB protops for AU$150. Chainsawspares has solid tsumura bars and I'd guess their chinese chain combos at AU$210 (AU$183 without chain). Mcop has solid sugihara and chinesium chain combos for NZ$195
Sure. Maybe do a new thread so things don’t get buried in here?

Bummer, but that husky is a great saw for that job and it has much better reach.
If you where here I'd have hooked you up with a chain, I cleaned a couple baby saws up today, two more to go.
View attachment 812663
chipper's saws are amazing machines. well, once he gets thru with them. always clean enough for the kitchen counter! maybe even clean enough to eat with... only cleaner ones are still... NIB... new in the box!

Thought of you the other day while going through some coins from my BIL's estate. found one of these.:yes:
View attachment 812883

I have seen a few of those!! half crown 2 n 6. was worth about 35-cents back when we live in England. if my memory serves me right. the penny's were a bit bigger. and smaller, too. there were farthings and hay-pences, too. half a penny! a 'carry out, eat it now small bag of chips (fish n chips) was 3d. 3-pence. "thrup-'ence" . 3d was unique... brass-ish and not round. multi-hex. and bus ride to swimming pool was a 'penny~apes!' the conductor would call out loud, almost indifferent to us being onboard. penny and a half. a shilling would buy a lot of stuff. choco bars ice cream, so delish... 6d. shilling was about a dime in value. shilling 12d. 10 shilling, paper... half-pound... was about $1.40. the pound, £1, = to the dollar at $2.80 exchange rate. look at it now! and LN can correct me if I am wrong, think a quid was 21 shillings.

there was a saying the Blokes liked to use regarding the general, sometimes under the table attitudes about... the rich Americans

" ...under worked, over paid, over sexed... and over here !"

lol

part of my heritage and lineage, I liked living in England! :)

"thanks for the mems!"

chipper's saws are amazing machines. well, once he gets thru with them. always clean enough for the kitchen counter! maybe even clean enough to eat with... only cleaner ones are still... NIB... new in the box!
I don't keep them all that clean, I try to get good pictures of them when they are clean though, and then clean them up nice again right before shipping them, but I do have a few I keep very clean most all the time.

'PHO' - power head only.'P&C' - piston and cylinder ( or 'plug and jug').'NOS' - new, old stock.'OEM' - original equipment manufacturer.Others?Philbert

NIB new in box

one one of my other forums, there is an offering for a vintage generator that attaches to back of another machine... 'Brand New, never used'. still is NIB!

Snowed 4” at the house last night. Friend that maintains road to radar site about 8 miles from us said half way up there was 16” of snow from last night. In the 20 years he’s worked there he hasn’t seen it snow that much this time of year before. Still snowing...91F5FEA9-0BEB-4A2A-ACA5-30CACEE6F2E2.jpeg07CAB372-2CB1-44AE-8525-C2F2ADE7FC10.jpeg

Latest posts

Back