Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 813053I've had people guess at better then 2 cord in the trunk alone and another in the top.
I think its certainty that much. Look up the weight of red oak when green and then weigh a few pieces, if I remember correctly its around 5400 a cord green. I wouldn't want to haul a 12' section of that trunk on my trailer and I can haul a cord on it no problem.

I have seen a few of those!! half crown 2 n 6. was worth about 35-cents back when we live in England. if my memory serves me right. the penny's were a bit bigger. and smaller, too. there were farthings and hay-pences, too. half a penny! a 'carry out, eat it now small bag of chips (fish n chips) was 3d. 3-pence. "thrup-'ence" . 3d was unique... brass-ish and not round. multi-hex. and bus ride to swimming pool was a 'penny~apes!' the conductor would call out loud, almost indifferent to us being onboard. penny and a half. a shilling would buy a lot of stuff. choco bars ice cream, so delish... 6d. shilling was about a dime in value. shilling 12d. 10 shilling, paper... half-pound... was about $1.40. the pound, £1, = to the dollar at $2.80 exchange rate. look at it now! and LN can correct me if I am wrong, think a quid was 21 shillings.

there was a saying the Blokes liked to use regarding the general, sometimes under the table attitudes about... the rich Americans

" ...under worked, over paid, over sexed... and over here !"

lol

part of my heritage and lineage, I liked living in England! :)

"thanks for the mems!"
oops yes, you're right, a shilling became the 5 pence and the 10 pence was 2 shillings, 6d and 12d in old money.

the saying started with GIs I think

They are not fun . People think we dont have them here but I can tell ya when the ground shakes and you hear the rolling thunder . You realise were just here and nature is in control .You ok ?
Yeah pretty humbling. Yep all good here, thanks. Pretty good one, haven’t felt one like that sense we were in Alaska.

Latest posts

Back