Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else see an uptick for firewood requests with what’s going on globally? I only burn around my firepit with a beer once in a while and sell wood on the side for extra cash.

Here in the suburbs, wood burning is a luxury, not a nessecity. Had quite a few requests for wood that I could not supply. Kicking myself in the butt for turning down quite a few poplar scrounges. Perfect for fire pits and seemingly what everyone around these parts are asking for.....
No one has anything better to do. Drinking beer around a fire and making babies!

Two of my favourite things @sixonetonoffun :givebeer: :numberone: .

Can't do it now unfortunately :( . Cowgirl is at work and the fridge is empty.

That's too bad, Ryan. I take all the scrounge I can. People come to me asking if I want to cut up some unidentified tree that fell over and I say yes (as long as it's not sitting on the house or powerlines). Worst case scenario, it's bonfire wood. Second worst, it's firepit material. Third worst, I cut and split and deliver to my brother and/or parents. But I get a heap of good stuff too, and I enjoy the exercise and using chainsaws. Having been a hardcore scrounger from one winter to the next - all our wood from 2000 to 2007 was cut with a bow saw, mostly from the side of the road - when it's there, I take it. The fact that I have 75 cubes cut and split already is irrelevant.

I've never sold any wood but I have given away maybe a dozen cubes and cut maybe 30 cubes for a mate of mine (I only cut, he splits and hauls). But for someone like yourself who sells a bit on the side for ambience, it doesn't matter that much what it is, I wouldn't have thought. Throw in a few sticks of popple with the facecord of oak and tell the buyer that you are selling it for 10% less if they want to get that in the future. Much nicer flames etc etc.

3.62 but the water gets murky when noting that a legal firewood measure here is a thrown (as opposed to stacked) cube.

I suppose thrown might be more consistent across different types and shapes of wood, some woods just aren’t getting as close when you stack them.

Still under the weather Feel odd, stom acn has a weak steady pain. M ay be constipation . I 'll take a pill for thay
'
ballance is shot, I bounce off walls when I got up.

Not betterer by morni ng I go to the clinic

If you're bouncing off walls (and the room is spinning), likely to be BPPV - benign postural paroxysmal vertigo. However, it may also arise if one fails to post pics of recent scrounges.

Stihl, best to go see the Dr.

Hoping all is well...

There's a couple of places to visit - Lightning Ridge and Coober Pedy - the first one is probably the go. It's hard going though, not for the faint hearted. Scrounging peppermint is easier. And closer.

We have some milky opal, kinda pretty but black opal is where the real money is. Mesmerising stuff, but it's hard to get. I know a local guy who heads up to Lightning Ridge and scrounges black opal. He puts the hard yards in.

@Cowboy254

Poplar has an odor like cat piss when burned. Putrid.When selling mixed hardwood, most people state “no pine or poplar”. It’s most likely a regional thing here.

The only time I got some was when I picked up a load of seasoned Oak and Birch, homeowner stated that poplar had to go first THEN you can take the good
stuff.

@Cowboy254

Poplar has an odor like cat piss when burned. Putrid.When selling mixed hardwood, most people state “no pine or poplar”. It’s most likely a regional thing here.

The only time I got some was when I picked up a load of seasoned Oak and Birch, homeowner stated that poplar had to go first THEN you can take the good
stuff.
Which species of poplar? Aspen and cottonwood smell fine when being burned. Willow here stinks to high heaven when being burned.

Our ground never froze up this is January 12th, and a few days later after a few tons of gravel . About 20 , had to I had the opportunity to get a lot of wood . Usually this area is not like this till late March. Had to hold off on the wood the acherage was to muddy to get it ,hopefully it will dry out so the scrounging will return View attachment 810167View attachment 810171
Damn, that was a mud hole, all that's left of the 4X4 in the top pic is the tailgate. Glad I wasn't in it when it went down!

Lots of jack pine up north here available for backyard fire pit use . I usually tarp up a cord for spring & fall usage . Also pine pallets available all around town for cheap firebstarter kindling . Sunny for the rest of the week so working in the garage , doing some spring sorting and cleaning , so warm today did not even start the woodstove ! lol.

Back