seasoned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finnbear said:
I'm cutting treetops in a woods that was logged 3 years ago. This stuff is all up off the ground and is wet inside. The stuff that is on the ground is rotting but anything up in the air is OK. Bark is starting too loosen but the wood is still solid but it is not anywhere near dry. Seasoned wood does not start to season until it is cut and split. It will dry some if just cut, stacked, and the rain is kept off but it doesn't really start to dry until it is split.
Finnbear

Good post.

All the oak I have cut in the past has been to length (16-20"). It gets stacked and will sit through two summers. Then late summer/early fall it is split and restacked. It is usually good to burn in my woodstove by late october/november.

This year, I tried something differant. I split the rounds before stacking them. This was done in january and stacked at the back of the property. I started a fire last week and decided to try some of the red oak cut this past winter. I was surprised to find that it was pretty dry.

So, I have changed the way I prep my firewood. From now on, the wood will be split and stacked as soon as it is cut. Stacking the rounds just wastes time and requires more handling of the wood. Not to mention it takes at least two times as long to dry.

I rapidly dry and season my firewood (split into stove sized chunks) by stacking it indoors, in rows, with a 6" gap in between each row. I use the big carpet dryer blowers (RIGID), one in each corner, to circulate the air (heated) rapidly thru, over and around the piles. I can have soaking wet wood (right thru to the center) bone dry and ready for a fire in less than a day.

Downsides are the noise, and some dust....but i'm not complaining $$$$$$

Latest posts

Back