Snow in the south!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't make us take the long march down there again Preston. ;):D

Ha! And we'll just toodle up the coast in our bassboats and sack St. Albans again..jiss fer sport!

edit: double ha! Saw a guy pulling his out today and headed out. My guess he is going out to one of the big lakes for stripers.

My wife was watching the news this morning... turned to me and said, "Those poor people in the south end of that storm, they don't have any idea how to handle that."

I reminded her... last time the east coast was hammered with a Valentine's Day blizzard like this (2007), just one week later NE Iowa was hit with the nastiest ice storm in over 40 years. We got from 1 to 2 inches of ice depending on location, which wouldn't have been so bad if not for the wind howling at over 40 MPH, gusting to over 50 MPH. Over a thousand miles of power lines down, unknown thousands of power poles snapped clean off... we were without power for 11 days, a buddy of mine just 2 miles from me waited 16 days for power. Then it started snowing, dumping over a foot of snow on top of the mess. You couldn't buy a generator of any size within 600 miles, and even if you had one it was difficult finding a near-by gas station with power to pump gas... and traveling to any gas station, near-by or not, was no picnic for the first couple days after. The minimum estimate was over 265,000 homes and businesses without power at one point (that's huge out here in fly-over country).

LOL... she blinked a couple times (obviously accessing her memory banks), then told me to take all the fuel containers into town and fill them today.
Women ‼ They overreact to any little thing :D

I bought 20 gals of non corn gasoline yesterday for my generator. After paying $40.20 I wondered if the fireplace just may be enough. Gasoline like it used to be is $1.10 higher than gasoline with all the additives like corn. That one I can't figure out.

Yup. There's a lot of women taking part in this thread of near panic. Nope, I don't think it is we who over react. I could prove this by simply typing three letters---E---P---A if I wanted to see an excessive emotional reaction.:p

You "all" have a choice. You can complain about the weather, and you cannot change it, or you can get out and try to enjoy it.
Get some trash bags out and slide down a hill. Make a snow fort. You'll just need some kids to help and you'll have a good time.
I remember trying to ski on scrap lumber. We kids got some boards and tried to hold them on with rubber bands. It was a fail, but it was fun trying to get going down our ski jump. I imagine duck tape would be today's choice.

Maybe there's a budding Winter Olympian in your neighborhood?

When things get REALLY bad with blizzard conditions up here, it's not unheard of to see snow machines using the roads to go down to the "city" for supplies.

Yup. There's a lot of women taking part in this thread of near panic. Nope, I don't think it is we who over react. I could prove this by simply typing three letters---E---P---A if I wanted to see an excessive emotional reaction.:p

You "all" have a choice. You can complain about the weather, and you cannot change it, or you can get out and try to enjoy it.
Get some trash bags out and slide down a hill. Make a snow fort. You'll just need some kids to help and you'll have a good time.
I remember trying to ski on scrap lumber. We kids got some boards and tried to hold them on with rubber bands. It was a fail, but it was fun trying to get going down our ski jump. I imagine duck tape would be today's choice.

But one thing we should be able to do without you puking on the thread, is discuss what's happening and enjoy the conversation. God made the weather so we all have to live with it. You also have to admit the greatest majority of women on here, if there is all that many, posses the feminine hormone so they react differently than you would. Most women do rely on the man to take care of them. They don't go looking for a fight like you seem to do.

...you can get out and try to enjoy it.

You really don't have a clue... do you??

You may find this hard to understand...
But for many of us living in outlaying areas of the northern plains and northeast... there isn't any time to "enjoy" winter storms.
As many people in the south are learning (or being reminded) right now, it becomes a matter of "work" to survive... not necessarily always human survival, but also economic survival. Livestock must be fed and watered, real property must be protected... and when the power grid starts going down the difficulty of that "work", the time it consumes, and the chances of loss (both human and economic) is multiplied many times over. We find plenty of time for "play", but big mid-winter storms ain't the time...

Ended up with around 15" here. Sadly, that's a little too deep to play in, without fears of getting stuck.

I'm seriously considering tracks for the 750 KQ...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

My wife was watching the news this morning... turned to me and said, "Those poor people in the south end of that storm, they don't have any idea how to handle that."

I reminded her... last time the east coast was hammered with a Valentine's Day blizzard like this (2007), just one week later NE Iowa was hit with the nastiest ice storm in over 40 years. We got from 1 to 2 inches of ice depending on location, which wouldn't have been so bad if not for the wind howling at over 40 MPH, gusting to over 50 MPH. Over a thousand miles of power lines down, unknown thousands of power poles snapped clean off... we were without power for 11 days, a buddy of mine just 2 miles from me waited 16 days for power. Then it started snowing, dumping over a foot of snow on top of the mess. You couldn't buy a generator of any size within 600 miles, and even if you had one it was difficult finding a near-by gas station with power to pump gas... and traveling to any gas station, near-by or not, was no picnic for the first couple days after. The minimum estimate was over 265,000 homes and businesses without power at one point (that's huge out here in fly-over country).

LOL... she blinked a couple times (obviously accessing her memory banks), then told me to take all the fuel containers into town and fill them today.
Women ‼ They overreact to any little thing :D

I like bulk tanks. We have the off road diesel tank, then (usually) a lot of propane, around hmmm..all together on the farm around 35 thou gallon I think, everything full.

No bulk gasoline tank though, but I want one.

The dogs and I play in the slush mud, does that count? Then there's me versus the beaver, every day it plugs up the lake overflow when it is this high, every day I pick and rake it out..sport! Then there's mud bogging! Get to go out with the tractor and haul bales and make big ruts and steer with the brakes..more sport! then there's fix the creek barricade and get cold water soakers!!! builds character...

Semi dry days I like to actually, ya know, go run saws and split some wood. That's my constructive hobby.

Near as I can tell, kids around here won't do anything for fun unless it involves an engine or a smartphone/game machine.

It used to pretty common to have a bulk gasoline tank 'round here zogger... anymore, not so much.
The problem is keeping the stuff today from going sour. The shelf-life of gasoline has steadily declined over the last 3 decades or so... back in the days of high(er) octane and lead additives gasoline could be stored for more than a year without worries, and most farm yards had a bulk tank. But unleaded, reformulated, oxygenated, low(er) octane, and worst-of-all ethanol-blended gasoline just can't be 100% trusted in storage for much more than a month now (if that). Not that there ain't still a few smaller tanks still in use... but I don't know anybody using the big tanks anymore. Besides, most everything "on the farm" now-a-days runs off diesel or LPG (maybe part of the reason for that is the shelf-life of gas now??).

It used to pretty common to have a bulk gasoline tank 'round here zogger... anymore, not so much.
The problem is keeping the stuff today from going sour. The shelf-life of gasoline has steadily declined over the last 3 decades or so... back in the days of high(er) octane and lead additives gasoline could be stored for more than a year without worries, and most farm yards had a bulk tank. But unleaded, reformulated, oxygenated, low(er) octane, and worst-of-all ethanol-blended gasoline just can't be 100% trusted in storage for much more than a month now (if that). Not that there ain't still a few smaller tanks still in use... but I don't know anybody using the big tanks anymore. Besides, most everything "on the farm" now-a-days runs off diesel or LPG (maybe part of the reason for that is the shelf-life of gas now??).

Well, ya, booze gas ain't worth storing, but if you can get 90+ octane, no booze gas, that'll store. Pri-G is the best I have used for stabilizer.

I left a tank of mix in a saw for a year with echo powerblend mix, started right up fine. Note: that just has whatever echo uses in their oil for a stabilizer, but I did run out a bulk tank some years ago over a 4 year period using the Pri-G. I tried stabil previous to that, not so good.

Anyway, just saying, you'd be rotating it out all the time anyway pumping it into your car and truck, etc.

Or like some of these guys use, either race gas or 100LL avgas, that'll store, albeit higher per gallon price.

For a genny though..propane.

You really don't have a clue... do you??

You may find this hard to understand...
But for many of us living in outlaying areas of the northern plains and northeast... there isn't any time to "enjoy" winter storms.
As many people in the south are learning (or being reminded) right now, it becomes a matter of "work" to survive... not necessarily always human survival, but also economic survival. Livestock must be fed and watered, real property must be protected... and when the power grid starts going down the difficulty of that "work", the time it consumes, and the chances of loss (both human and economic) is multiplied many times over. We find plenty of time for "play", but big mid-winter storms ain't the time...

Then how do you find the time to be writing so much on the internet? I forget that you live in Iowa where one cannot trust their neighbor and must walk armed at all times to deflect their attempts to loot and steal.

It only takes a few minutes to take the munchkins out and slide down hills, or pull them on sleds or have some play time. Just a few minutes of an outdoor activity rather than "enjoying" complaining about it on the internet. In the time it takes me to type this, we (me and munchkins) could make 3 trips down the hill on a sled.

Nope, it isn't your survival, it's more of your priorities, and internet time seems more important to you. Go for it. Oh, and I thought you had common sense. We don't go skiing when it is a white out, we wait, and hit the hills when the white out is over. Geesh, thought you knew more than that. The power grid goes down? Big deal. Feed the cows, haul water, chop the ice out (yes, I spent part of my growing up years with livestock to take care of) remind yourself how much easier you've got it than the people in 1880 something. Those were the people who had to worry about survival. Good heavens! They did not have computers, either.

EPA! EPA!

zogger,
I've had 92 octane ethanol-free go sour in less than two month twice in the last three years (stored in a plumb full 6 gallon generator fuel tank, treated with stabilizer). Ethanol ain't the only additive that accelerates the degrading process... any oxygenate does (or will). Stabilizers offer some measure of protection... but they're in no way a guaranty. Almost all gasoline now-a-days has a stabilizer in it as part of the additive package... adding more may, or may not, increase protection against degradation. If the fuel you get has already begun to turn... it's too late for any additive of any amount.

Back