Snow in the south!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then how do you find the time to be writing so much on the internet?
The power grid goes down? Big deal. Feed the cows, haul water

Well, that's a simple answer fool...
We ain't in the middle of a big winter storm here right now... and besides, I'm in the office today where I have ton's of time to kill :rock:

I do have a question for you though... (because you obviously don't have a clue).
If the power grid is down, and it's been in single digits to below zero for weeks before that... where in hell do you think we're gonna' get that water to haul?? Have you forgotten that water comes from a well... and the well pump runs off the power grid?? Do you realize a dairy cow may require up to 30 gallons of water per day?? As a general rule, a non-dairy cow requires 1 gallon of water per 100 pounds of body weight per day in winter... ya' ain't gonna haul water to 100 (or more) head of cattle in a bucket from the frozen river. And then there's the logistics of getting all that water and food to 'em in deep snow... do you think we drop it from airplanes?? Chop the ice out?? If it's -10°... how do we keep that water from freezing solid to the bottom without the power grid??

Get a friggin' clue girl.

zogger,
I've had 92 octane ethanol-free go sour in less than two month twice in the last three years (stored in a plumb full 6 gallon generator fuel tank, treated with stabilizer). Ethanol ain't the only additive that accelerates the degrading process... any oxygenate does (or will). Stabilizers offer some measure of protection... but they're in no way a guaranty. Almost all gasoline now-a-days has a stabilizer in it as part of the additive package... adding more may, or may not, increase protection against degradation. If the fuel you get has already begun to turn... it's too late for any additive of any amount.

Well, that sucks. The no booze gas I get seems to be able to store longer. I guess just regional variants.

Anyway, google up that Pri-G, check it out. I was skeptical before I tried it for sure. My boss at the time owned a heap 0 gas stations, he said this was the best he was aware of, so..I mixed it into the bulk tank when the delivery truck came and it worked.

Or the 100LL, that will store no problems.

Well, that sucks. The no booze gas I get seems to be able to store longer. I guess just regional variants.

Hmmmmm....... I'm thinkin' more a luck-of-the-draw type thing.
I start and run my generator once a month, run a light load on it for a few minutes, then shut the fuel off and run the carb dry.
Last weekend it started right up with a touch of the key, at 3°, 10 month old fuel (I drain and refill with fresh about every 12 months, sooner if the fuel starts turning).
I can tell right off when the gas is going sour by the way it starts; I have to crank and crank and crank, it'll finally pop-off and then die, pop-off and then die, I take the cap off and give the fuel a smell... yep, startin' to turn. The last stuff that went bad in under two months, 10 months ago (generator wouldn't even try to start), I drained and dumped in the wife's van... stuff was so bad in that short time she actually complained that her van was running "funny" the next day. LOL

Hmmmmm....... I'm thinkin' more a luck-of-the-draw type thing.
I start and run my generator once a month, run a light load on it for a few minutes, then shut the fuel off and run the carb dry.
Last weekend it started right up with a touch of the key, at 3°, 10 month old fuel (I drain and refill with fresh about every 12 months, sooner if the fuel starts turning).
I can tell right off when the gas is going sour by the way it starts; I have to crank and crank and crank, it'll finally pop-off and then die, pop-off and then die, I take the cap off and give the fuel a smell... yep, startin' to turn. The last stuff that went bad in under two months, 10 months ago (generator wouldn't even try to start), I drained and dumped in the wife's van... stuff was so bad in that short time she actually complained that her van was running "funny" the next day. LOL

bwahahaha! Funny how it wound up in her ride and not yours!

Here's what it looked like this morning at our place in East TN. Ain't seen anything like this in a long time here. Seasoned woodpile is good for maybe a couple weeks. After that, I'll be scrounging around in the woods for dead trees. They always make me nervous when they're standing, I'm never sure just what they're gonna do when I start cutting. The ones that are already down are usually wet inside and don't burn well. snow 2-12-14 002.jpg snow 2-12-14 003.jpg snow 2-12-14 001.jpg

Here's the total real snow fall at The Pass. 150 inches on the ground at 6500 feet and 80 inches at 4500 feet. We'll have water and power and good skiing. I'll get a season pass next month and get in some Spring Skiing.

http://skiwhitepass.com/the-mountai...y&utm_campaign=UA-27507814-1&utm_medium=email

Meanwhile, the two passes to the north are open and closed for avalanche control work, and the ground here is opaque white with a layer of heavy glop that fell last night.
We're happy. For a while it looked like we were headed into a drought like Collyfonia.

Even though it has been a week of epic snowfall in the mountains, no Weather Channel folks were sighted. That's a good thing.

Nice little blurb about my town in the news this morning.

WINY Radio
FROM THE NEWSROOM: Despite the unpredictable winter weather this year, the Town of Brooklyn has had a good run with budgeting their snow removal according to First Selectman – Rick Ives.

There was still a bit of salt left over after the last storm and a delivery was made to the Town on Friday, with even more due this week. While payroll is starting to creep towards an overage – which is likely to happen if we receive more wintery weather – Ives believes that the Town has gone over their snow removal budget only one other time in the last 10 years.

A few years ago the Town was advised to purchase computer controlled sanders. In doing so, the salt and sand is evenly distributed across the roads no matter how fast the plow truck is traveling, whereas in the past – speed was a factor – the faster the truck drove the more sand and salt would be dispersed. This upgraded technology has been a significant cost savings for the Town.

For decades we've done a good job budgeting reasonably for snow removal...and if we go under it, come spring the money is spent on other highway projects to reduce future expenses such as re-surfacing more roads than planned, or replacing culverts a few years sooner than we planned to get to them. Or topping off our salt shed in June when salt prices are low.

There are other towns in the area that are notorious for a week before Christmas to be screaming they're running out of money because they only budgeted for two snowstorms and we've had three...and they'll need a town meeting and an emergency appropriation. Because they played budget shenanigans back in the summer knowing they could cut the plowing budget and force an increase later.

Also helps we own our sand bank, and every few years we do a deal with some neighboring towns where they pay for the rental of a gravel screen and we make enough sand for us and the towns paying for the screen.

I do have a question for you though... (because you obviously don't have a clue).
If the power grid is down, and it's been in single digits to below zero for weeks before that... where in hell do you think we're gonna' get that water to haul?? Have you forgotten that water comes from a well... and the well pump runs off the power grid?? Do you realize a dairy cow may require up to 30 gallons of water per day?? As a general rule, a non-dairy cow requires 1 gallon of water per 100 pounds of body weight per day in winter... ya' ain't gonna haul water to 100 (or more) head of cattle in a bucket from the frozen river. And then there's the logistics of getting all that water and food to 'em in deep snow... do you think we drop it from airplanes?? Chop the ice out?? If it's -10°... how do we keep that water from freezing solid to the bottom without the power grid??

Get a friggin' clue girl.
Ever hear of a hand pump? Cattle will come to you for eating, no need to haul to them.

If one is operating a dairy operation and they do not have the means of backup power they are foolish, bordering on idiotic.

The grid being down is a non issue.

I planted a bunch of those and none have come up.:( They should be. I seem to have a black thumb when it comes to bulbs.

My thumb would get plenty blue trying to plant bulbs here right now. I am thinking spring though, trying to figure out how much I can afford to spend on tree seedlings this year. Last year came and went without getting any, I'm determined to get some going this year.

A pic from one of my drives to work this week - I think Friday afternoon. Been working too much OT and all the days are starting to feel the same. R&R tomorrow should help!

20140221_135305 (Medium).jpg

A good old fashioned snowbank out on the prairie today, on the way to get diesel for combatting the snow in the yard:

20140222_154916 (Medium).jpg

Crocus, daffodils, tulips, etc. are planted in the fall. I did that. Other folks around here have them popping up, but I have no sign of life. Oh well.
It tried to snow today, but went back to rain.

It was 80 degrees over the weekend. Today is Mardi Gras Day and we have freezing rain and ice accumulation which has shut the interstate down for the third time this winter (Baton Rouge)!

Back