SOMEONE EDUCATE ME: chain pitch & number of drive links

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrp0450

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking on Bailey's to get new bars and chains for my two chainsaws since they're both going to need it soon. I can't figure something out. It seems to me that for a given bar length and pitch, the number of drive links would be fixed. But in browsing for a chain loop I can get a Husqvarna 18" loop, .325" pitch (.050" gauge) with either 72 or 78 drive links. Other brands and lengths also have different number of drive links for the same pitch and length. How is that possible? Someone educate me.

Husqvarna chains in the .325 are normally 16"-66 drive links, 18"-72 drive links 20"-78 drive links

around here the gauge could be either .050 or .058

stihl is different 16"-67 dl, 18"-74 dl, 20"-81 dl, unless it is on an 025/ms250, then the 16"-62 dl, and the 18"-68 dl.

Around here, the are all .063 ga.

I've been looking on Bailey's to get new bars and chains for my two chainsaws since they're both going to need it soon. I can't figure something out. It seems to me that for a given bar length and pitch, the number of drive links would be fixed. But in browsing for a chain loop I can get a Husqvarna 18" loop, .325" pitch (.050" gauge) with either 72 or 78 drive links. Other brands and lengths also have different number of drive links for the same pitch and length. How is that possible? Someone educate me.

I'm not sure where you found this discrepancy, but 72dl is for 18" and 78dl is for 20"

Bailey's - Husqvarna 18" Chainsaw Chain Loop

Bailey's - Husqvarna 20" Chainsaw Chain Loop

I just posted a link to an 18" loop with 78 drive links but it said it would have to be approved by a moderator. If you search for "H30-78" on the Bailey's site it comes up with two Husqvarna loops, a 20" and an 18".

The bar mount location is where the differance is with differant saws. A 20 inch Homelite, or Olimpic bar im 3/8s sits a little closer to the drive sprocket than say a Husky bar does. The Homelite uses a 70 DL chain, the Husky a 72DL. There is still 20 inches of bar that is showing outside the clutch cover.

The bar mount location is where the differance is with differant saws. A 20 inch Homelite, or Olimpic bar im 3/8s sits a little closer to the drive sprocket than say a Husky bar does. The Homelite uses a 70 DL chain, the Husky a 72DL. There is still 20 inches of bar that is showing outside the clutch cover.

That makes sense. So you first need to get a bar that matches your drive sprocket and then get a chain that matches the bar. Or just stick with the "standard" numbers for your saw... now that I know what they are.

So why would Husky sell a 78DL 18" bar?

I just posted a link to an 18" loop with 78 drive links but it said it would have to be approved by a moderator. If you search for "H30-78" on the Bailey's site it comes up with two Husqvarna loops, a 20" and an 18".

One of them says fits husqvarna, the other 20" one doesn't say what it fits, like it would be a 20" on a Tanaka or Redmax.

One of them says fits husqvarna, the other 20" one doesn't say what it fits, like it would be a 20" on a Tanaka or Redmax.

OK, that makes a lot of sense. Would the height of the bar affect it too? A fatter bar of the same length (and gauge/pitch) would take more drive links...

Where would you go to find the standard number of drive links for a given model, like for my Poulan Pro 4218AVX? I want a .050" x 16" x 3/8" low-pro loop. But there are ones with 54, 55, 56, 57 and 59 DLs on Baileys. And just about as many options for bars. I guess I could get the saw out and start counting.

Get your saw out and start counting. Thats the easiest way. Mark the driver where you start with a sharpy. Get a loop of Woodsmans Pro 30LP for that saw and you'll be amazed how much better that little saw will cut.

Don't count the cutters. Count the drivers.

If you need a 56 DL loop, I have a new one I'll sell you. I replaced a bar on my Yellow Max Sears and got the wrong loop. I needed 57 DL.

Last edited:
So you first need to get a bar that matches your drive sprocket and then get a chain that matches the bar.

The bar really doesn't care what sprocket you run. What does matter is that the bar fits your mount and the oiling holes align with your saw. Of course the chain pitch will need to match the sprocket and the chain gauge needs to be the same as the bar.

To respond to an earlier question, yes the height of the bar can affect the number of drive links. A narrow tipped carving bar, while being a certain length, will take a shorter chain than a fat bar of the same length. As also stated, if replacing a chain on an existing bar and you're not sure, just count. Chains can be made to ANY length, just need to know what you need.

So how do you know if a bar will fit the mount and oil holes align? I want a 16" bar for my pp4218avx. How do I get something that will fit? Sorry for all the chainsaw 101 questions.

If you look at the bars on the Baileys website, the bars are listed as to what saws they fit. You can also go to the Oregon Website and look at the bar locator section, but it will only show you what Oregon has to offer.

That bar mount for those Poulans is probably the most common bar out there. Almost evvery small saw uses that bar mount. Any small Craftsman, Echo Redmax or Husky will work. Baileys has bar and chain closeouts if your looking for a good deal.

The actual length of bars often isn't the same as the "called" length on any saw, and the actual saw may also change the actual length. Length should be measured from the front of the case (not the spikes/dawgs) to the front of a cutter at the very tip of the bar.

This one is confusing me. It looks like an 18" loop with 78 drive links.Husqvarna 18" Chainsaw Chain Loop (H30-78 Drive Links)
Most likely a misprint on Baileys site.

It could happen, but not in this case.

Last edited:
stihl is different 16"-67 dl, 18"-74 dl, 20"-81 dl, unless it is on an 025/ms250, then the 16"-62 dl, and the 18"-68 dl.

Around here, the are all .063 ga.

Yep, all 3005 (small) Stihl mount bars, and all 3/8" lopro/picco bars, are quite a bit shorter than called.

Back