Spark Arrestor question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
Reaction score
I used my Husqvarna today, and noticed that the heat from the muffler was melting the plastic on my chain brake handle. The exhaust port is on top of the muffler, and the deflector shield is intact, but the spark arrestor screen is missing. Evidently, that screen does cut-back or dissipate the heat coming out of the muffler port. It's a 562 saw. Anybody else experience this? I don't know why they put the port on top like that, instead of on the side or the face.

The spark arrestor does not dissipate heat in any way. If you are getting your saw hot enough to melt plastic you are most likely working it to hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spark arrestor does not dissipate heat in any way. If you are getting your saw hot enough to melt plastic you are most likely working it to hard.

Thanks! Hope I didn't run it too hot! I didn't cut a whole lot with it, but it never has done this before. I'm using Husqvarna pre-mix in it. Chain was getting a little dull, but it was cutting ok.

Thanks! Hope I didn't run it too hot! I didn't cut a whole lot with it, but it never has done this before. I'm using Husqvarna pre-mix in it. Chain was getting a little dull, but it was cutting ok.
A chain can still cut if dull and you don’t realize how much force you’re actually putting on it. Try it with a “sharp” chain and see if you get different results. If results are the same then you may have to retune the carb from running too lean. Of course the radiator may be plugged causing it to run hot! :innocent::innocent:

A chain can still cut if dull and you don’t realize how much force you’re actually putting on it. Try it with a “sharp” chain and see if you get different results. If results are the same then you may have to retune the carb from running too lean. Of course the radiator may be plugged causing it to run hot! :innocent::innocent:
Thanks. I have a feeling it will need to be hooked-up to the computer for a re-tune. Chain wasn't that dull. I did re-sharpen it, though.

A proper chain means you don’t have to force it in any way. The saw cuts by itself and no dogging is required. If you are forcing the saw to cut then it is no we’re near ready for cutting.

Thanks for the info. I've only been using saws for 47 years. I never "force" them to cut. Most of the time, they force me to cut. :)

The new saws are far different from the old. It still stands, if you haven’t modified the exhaust and the plastics are melting then you are overworking that saw. I’ve run tanks on tanks through 562’s at 95 degrees without melting plastics. Something is off with that saw and I would recommend not running it any further until it’s figured out! By overworking I don’t mean it’s the operator, plenty of other things can cause overworking.

The new saws are far different from the old. It still stands, if you haven’t modified the exhaust and the plastics are melting then you are overworking that saw. I’ve run tanks on tanks through 562’s at 95 degrees without melting plastics. Something is off with that saw and I would recommend not running it any further until it’s figured out! By overworking I don’t mean it’s the operator, plenty of other things can cause overworking.

Thanks! I'm going to take it to my local dealer and let him check it out before I carry it to the woods again. It may still be under warranty.

As said spark arrest or does just that the plastic melting heat is down to some other cause cyl fins blocked with gunge, lean carb setting, bar not oliing clutch slip a careful check to find the cause

Sounds like a leaking exhaust gasket to me....
I would agree, but the heat is coming directly from the port on top. Melted plastic is dead-center above the port. If it were a gasket, it would be melting plastic elsewhere. I think maybe it's too lean, although the saw didn't "scream" at WOT.

The local Husky dealer checked it out today, and he says that I need to order a new muffler to cure the issue. The former owner "flared-out" the exhaust deflector on top of the muffler, and he had removed the arrestor screen before I got it. I have a new screen coming any day now, and the dealer agreed that I may can tap-down the flared deflector shield so it won't direct as much heat upwards. Heck, it's worth a try as opposed to replacing the entire muffler. I think the former owner thought he could get more power by removing the screen and widening the deflector shield opening.

Latest posts

Back